User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gradin123 View Post
    Not really. Often they give you trouble when the coupon is greater than the price of item though. Most stores official policy is to give you $2.99 off. See the thing is that the manufactuer will reimburse them $3.00 regardless. They should be happy to take your coupon but it confuses a lot of people when the coupon value exceeds the price.

Any store any time has the right to refuse the coupon but the managers refusal to take this coupon may be in conflict with SDM official policy. You could write SDM's head office to see if they will give you their official policy is.
    Okay, cause I do feel like I was asking for too much, while other people on this board do this kinda thing all the time. I will write to head office. I remember the cashier's name (she wrote it on the receipt) and the manger too.

Do you know who exactly I would write to?

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I do not tolerate cashiers making their own rules independent of company policy. If a cashier hassles me about a coupon, I ask for the store manager. Keep in mind that at some grocery stores if you just talk to the front end supervisor the store manager will never hear about the problem because the supervisor will sweep it under the rug. They don't want to get spoken to about not training the cashiers properly, and also the cashier you had a problem with might be one of their favourites so they want to cover their a**. I think a manager has a right to know how the cashiers are representing the store, positive or negative. I give the manager the opportunity to address the problem. If they fix the problem and tell the cashier to accept the coupon, I don't go calling head office anyway. I only call head office if even the manager is being difficult, and it has rarely escalated to this. Why? Because I make sure that I am right with the issue I raise. I speak in a calm but assertive manner, and I don't make a scene, because this makes me look bad and also gives them an added excuse to not help you.

In my own experience I have seen a lot of JEALOUS cashiers out there. They see you getting all kinds of good deals and free items and they are jealous that they do not have these coupons. Hassling you and implying you are doing something dishonest is just a defense mechanism. If they can't get the deal or the free item, well then you're not gonna either!!!! That is their mentality. So they try to hinder you, and make sarcastic comments so that you will leave. I don't care if they suck their teeth with that ridiculous noise, put the hand on the hip and start in with the head rotations. Often times I will laugh and that usually catches them off guard because they are expecting you to be intimidated, since that is the reaction they usually get. Then I will insist that the manager come to the front of the store. 99% of the time they will address it, and believe me, your complaint is usually just the latest of a whole string of complaints they have had about that cashier.

As consumers we need to not put up with this kind of abusive treatment. If all else fails, I stop shopping at a particular store. I may not avoid the whole chain, but I will avoid a certain location and I tell EVERYONE about my experience and encourage them to boycott the store also. As sales figures start going down, down, down, and head office starts to connect the dots between the slow sales and the list of complaints they have received about a certain location, walking papers will get handed out.
    Last edited by thecountess; Thu, Apr 23rd, 2009 at 01:51 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    477 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    But manufacturers' coupons can be rejected on clearance items, it can vary store to store, and cashier to cashier?

Can someone answer my question about the dove?, I really do want your input. Cause if I was right in trying to use those coupons, I would be willing to write to head office or something to get it cleared up.
    Shoppers doesn't allow stacking of coupons like london drugs does. Man i wish we had a london drugs in the area. You can use either coupon, the BOGO OR $3 off.

Many times, I've had the CSRs saything they will charge me regular price if i use my coupon. Well then SCOP will allow me to have the product for free then. no? The manufacturer will reimburse them the FULL $3. Shoppers isn't losing out in any way and is gaining more loyalty.
    Join to earn GCs and many more prizes..
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/linny

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by linny View Post
    Shoppers doesn't allow stacking of coupons like london drugs does. Man i wish we had a london drugs in the area. You can use either coupon, the BOGO OR $3 off.

Many times, I've had the CSRs saything they will charge me regular price if i use my coupon. Well then SCOP will allow me to have the product for free then. no? The manufacturer will reimburse them the FULL $3. Shoppers isn't losing out in any way and is gaining more loyalty.
    I don't think I was stacking though.
    I had 6 bottles - 2 $3 off coupons and 2 B1G1. Is that stacking?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Okay, cause I do feel like I was asking for too much, while other people on this board do this kinda thing all the time. I will write to head office. I remember the cashier's name (she wrote it on the receipt) and the manger too.

Do you know who exactly I would write to?
    I did a search to see if this topic has come up with SDM before. I can't see that it has. I know RCSS official policy when the coupon value exceeds the price would be to give you the $2.99 off.

I did find a thread about another type of coupon inquiry for SDM's though.

In that circumstance the person had success in determining their policy when they called 1-800-SHOPPERS.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

No it isn't.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I wanted to add too that we are still giving the store a sale, whether we pay for it with coupons or with cash. Let's say you only have $20.00 to spend, but you have a bunch of coupons to redeem too. You might end up giving the store a $50.00 sale instead of a $20.00 sale.

They are fully reimbursed for the coupons. I can understand about stores refusing the printable coupons because there is a lot of fraud and the dishonest people ruin it for the rest of us.

But other coupons most places will accept, and if they have been turning them down they are shooting themselves in the foot because of lost sales. Not only do they lose my sale that day (I leave every single item I was going to buy as a matter of principle) I will not shop there in the future, now that I know they do not accept coupons.
    Last edited by thecountess; Thu, Apr 23rd, 2009 at 01:59 PM.

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I just want to say one thing: I'm very new to this website and for the most part I really enjoy it and am so impressed by all the great deals people get.

There is just one thing that bothers me: people fighting a la grade school style not only in this thread but in many others. And please don't start hating on me for this post, but I'd like to believe we're all adults here and as such we should all respect each other's opinions. And if there is something you don't agree with there is no need to start name calling and throwing hateful comments. It's just sad (not in a rude comment way, as in it actually makes me sad)

Oh and I forget who said it but it's true being nice gets you much further than an all out confrontation. There are ways of being assertive without being rude or causing a scene.
    Last edited by lizardlipz; Thu, Apr 23rd, 2009 at 02:03 PM.

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

thecountess - I appreciate your comments, they are always well thought out and written, what would you have done in my case?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    477 (100%)

My bad. it's not stacking..You should've been able to use those coupons without problems. Unless there was a limit on how many you can buy. Apparently it's up to the store's discretion how many sale items they can sell to you.
    Join to earn GCs and many more prizes..
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/linny

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by linny View Post
    My bad. it's not stacking..You should've been able to use those coupons without problems. Unless there was a limit on how many you can buy. Apparently it's up to the store's discretion how many sale items they can sell to you.
    Nah there was no limit.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Hi

Thanks for the compliment! Your comments are great too!

I agree with what you said about telling them you don't want the product, but I actually will leave the whole basket of stuff that I have to let them see how much money they are about to flush down the toilet.

As far as the manager not accepting the coupon for a sale item,whether it is clearance or a sale item, the store is still reimbursed. I would point this out and ask why they are willing to lose a customer over this. You're not doing anything wrong. You have every right to maximize your spending dollar by combining sale prices/clearance with coupons. It is the company's decision to put the item on sale for $2.99. They are obviously willing to sell it at that price. Another customer can buy it for $2.99 and pay cash but you can't use a coupon to get it at that price? The coupon covers the cost of the item. What's the problem.

You may want to even contact the Competition Bureau. This is the website and there are various documents:
    http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...g/h_00140.html

Shopper's Head office number is 1-800-746-7737 (1-800-SHOPPER)
    I would call them as well. I have seen on this forum that other people have contacted them and been told each store makes its own policy. If enough people keep calling in challenging this, they will revisit this decision to let each store make its own rules. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Many squeaky wheels who call in from all across Canada, making the same complaints about the same issues will eventually get results.

Or Pharma Plus, IDA, and other pharmacies will start seeing a mass influx of disgruntled former Shoppers Drug Mart customers!

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thecountess View Post
    I do not tolerate cashiers making their own rules independent of company policy. If a cashier hassles me about a coupon, I ask for the store manager. Keep in mind that at some grocery stores if you just talk to the front end supervisor the store manager will never hear about the problem because the supervisor will sweep it under the rug. They don't want to get spoken to about not training the cashiers properly, and also the cashier you had a problem with might be one of their favourites so they want to cover their a**. I think a manager has a right to know how the cashiers are representing the store, positive or negative. I give the manager the opportunity to address the problem. If they fix the problem and tell the cashier to accept the coupon, I don't go calling head office anyway. I only call head office if even the manager is being difficult, and it has rarely escalated to this. Why? Because I make sure that I am right with the issue I raise. I speak in a calm but assertive manner, and I don't make a scene, because this makes me look bad and also gives them an added excuse to not help you.

In my own experience I have seen a lot of JEALOUS cashiers out there. They see you getting all kinds of good deals and free items and they are jealous that they do not have these coupons. Hassling you and implying you are doing something dishonest is just a defense mechanism. If they can't get the deal or the free item, well then you're not gonna either!!!! That is their mentality. So they try to hinder you, and make sarcastic comments so that you will leave. I don't care if they suck their teeth with that ridiculous noise, put the hand on the hip and start in with the head rotations. Often times I will laugh and that usually catches them off guard because they are expecting you to be intimidated, since that is the reaction they usually get. Then I will insist that the manager come to the front of the store. 99% of the time they will address it, and believe me, your complaint is usually just the latest of a whole string of complaints they have had about that cashier.

As consumers we need to not put up with this kind of abusive treatment. If all else fails, I stop shopping at a particular store. I may not avoid the whole chain, but I will avoid a certain location and I tell EVERYONE about my experience and encourage them to boycott the store also. As sales figures start going down, down, down, and head office starts to connect the dots between the slow sales and the list of complaints they have received about a certain location, walking papers will get handed out.

Im sorry but after reading your post i actually laughed out loud.
    Are you actually SERIOUS when you say cashiers are JEALOUS of you?
    LMAO most of the time cashiers really couldnt care less about what you are buying. Some cashiers who are having a bad day take out their bad mood on customers by being rude and cause a fuss with coupons but jealously? really? thats funny. have u ever been a cashier? have u ever worked retail? do you think cashiers are jealous because you've been the cashier once and felt jealousy for the person with the handfull of coupons? I myself have been a cashier before and have never felt jealous of a customer with a lot of coupons.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

The cashiers often times are in fact jealous, because they see the customer getting many items for free or almost free rather than paying full price out of pocket.

You asked if I have ever been a cashier/or worked retail. I have done both. I have also been a store manager. Customer service was always a priority for me, and this was reflected in my high sales figures and strong customer base.

I vigorously encouraged my customers to use coupons at my store, recognizing that if they did not use them at my store, another store was getting the sale. I would high five my "regulars" and congratulate them on their smart consumerism. I was never jealous, and because my reaction to their using coupons was so positive, no one would ever think that I was jealous.

But a cashier who starts acting "put out" at having to enter the coupons, makes sarcastic or negative comments, sighs, looks for excuses to not accept the coupons, and just gives overall poor customer service, yes, I would say they are likely just jealous at seeing you get such good deals.

And eventually their poor behaviour and job performance will catch up to them.
    Last edited by thecountess; Thu, Apr 23rd, 2009 at 02:43 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

In response to the original question: If I was treated poorly by a cashier while using my coupons?

First of all, I do everything I can to make the experience as pleasant and painless as possible for the cashier. I realize she works hard too, and I try and treat him/her with respect, and I expect the same.

I chit chat with them a bit, and ask them if they want my coupons as the item passes or at the end. If they have any questions I explain the coupon to them, and I've never really had a problem. Sometimes they might question it, and if they refuse it I'll leave the item.

However, if they acted disrespectfully towards me I would have *no* hesitation to have them call the manager on duty to their station and ask the manager to explain why his cashier thinks it's OK to make comments to other customers about my money saving practices, and what is he going to do about it? I would want an apology from the cashier, and I would be contacting head office immediately if the manager did not satisfy me by making the cashier apologize for rude behaviour.

I've worked enough in retail to know that you are not allowed to behave like that with a customer, no matter *what* you think, or how bad your day is going.

Fortunately, my coupon experience has been nothing but positive, and I've never had to do this. I hope I never do, but I won't put up with rude behaviour when I'm spending my hard earned money at their store. There are too many other stores out there that would be *happy* to have my business. I keep all my receipts too, (I have another business) so I could *easily* find a years worth, photo copy them and show head office just how much per year their store would lose by allowing rudeness in a cashier.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information