User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    Lets try to keep it decent please. People that are being negative remember you wouldnt want to OP being nasty on your thread you shouldnt be on theres.

If theres a problem Pm Boo

Btw lol my husband works with Nestle, don't scop there stuff all the time he doenst need to be laid of Lmao.
    For the record.. I have never used SCOP. But I am honestly confused why this is such a hot topic.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    Btw lol my husband works with Nestle, don't scop there stuff all the time he doenst need to be laid of Lmao.
    I am pretty sure the store takes the hit and not Nestle, but just to be sure I will stay away! Im pretty set on Ice cream for the rest of the year I think!

Quote Originally Posted by meta42 View Post
    For the record.. I have never used SCOP. But I am honestly confused why this is such a hot topic.
    I dont mind people having a bad opinion of what I do that is fair enough I have good intentions but maybe only see what I do as greedy. This is a forum and there is room for debate after all but resorting to personal attacks though I just don't get it... not sure what I did to them

Trading Score
    215 (100%)

so lets get this staright,you scoped all those items ina row? cool

the stores should be accurate with the pricing, i persoanly dont know how to use SCOP,but I find it so annoying when they argue with me that the price they are seling it at since thats wahts coming up on the computer/scan reader thingy at cash regsiter when it says something else on the shelf. Its always a hassel and gotta wait more in line. How were you able to use SCOP so I can too use it for future mis scaned items
    Want free giftcards? Use Swagbucks Like Google and Earn Gift cards!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/SaiyenBlood

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
    so lets get this staright,you scoped all those items ina row? cool

the stores should be accurate with the pricing, i persoanly dont know how to use SCOP,but I find it so annoying when they argue with me that the price they are seling it at since thats wahts coming up on the computer/scan reader thingy at cash regsiter when it says something else on the shelf. Its always a hassel and gotta wait more in line. How were you able to use SCOP so I can too use it for future mis scaned items
    Hi Bloo! Maybe I should write my own little guide on how to SCOP properly?

First - Most importantly, know the code. The two reasons I think people dont use SCOP more often is lack of understanding, and the thought of being embarassed / making a scene. Not much you can do about the second part because sometimes if you plan on applying SCOP there is no two ways about it, you will have to 'make a scene' in front of a lineup of customers.

Second - Once you are armed with the information, you will know when SCOP is applicable, where SCOP is applicable, and when and where it ISNT. The last thing you want is to embarass yourself or get all high and mighty, insisting you are right, just to find out you are wrong. Not only will you feel stupid, but you will probably owe the cashier / customer service desk an apology. Know the code inside and out and you will likely know more about it than most store level managers do. There just isnt much emphasis on training people on SCOP.

Third - Okay here comes your big moment. You have paid for your groceries and that chocolate milk you bought scanned in an outrageous whole $1 above the advertised price. You know you are at a store that participates in SCOP. What do you do? Take a deep breath and walk on over to customer service. You can technically ask for help while you are still in line with the cashier, but lets face it you want to hold up the other people behind you as little as possible. The big thing for me is not to get frustrated. Sometimes the people who are more familiar with the policy will not give you any grief over it. When you DO get someone who wants to make a fight of it, just dont let them get to you. Ask for a shift manager or even a store manager. If they refuse to help or insist you are wrong (and you know full well you are right, right?) then leave it at that. Dont need to take it personally. Call the SCOP 1-800 and file a complaint. Filing a complaint with the company through a 1-800 number or a nicely worded email can also speed up the process. Stay polite and rest assured that in the end you will get your refund.

I have yet to be denied except in cases where I didn't bother escalating or I myself was wrong (picked up item with wrong UPC for example)

Any other question? I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

Trading Score
    215 (100%)

Hi there EmperorOfCanada, I see what you mean..sort of lol...sinking in..so most managers would know about this? what does SCOp stand for, because my walmart is just horrible with taking coupons,im terrified of using SCOP lol they might just have a heart attack if I get to use SCOP =/

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Hi there EmperorOfCanada, I see what you mean..sort of lol...sinking in..so most managers would know about this? what does SCOp stand for, because my walmart is just horrible with taking coupons,im terrified of using SCOP lol they might just have a heart attack if I get to use SCOP =/
    SCOP stands for Scanner Code of Practice. The official name though is the 'Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code'. Anyone participating in SCOP should have signs posted somewhere visible. I have seen it on the front door, or at the till, or at the customer service desk.

Something to keep in mind is this - it is a voluntary code and not everyone is a member. Zellers for example is not a member, so you can complain as much as you want there and they dont have to do anything for you.*

HOWEVER - Even though it is voluntary, stores are not allowed to 'opt out'. For example Warmart is a member. That means *every* Walmart is a member. A power hungry walmart manager cant decide that their store isnt going to participate. In a big chain like that, either all are a member, or none are. So dont be afraid if you dont see the signs.

*Quebec is the exception. Quebec has a SCOP-like law, meaning EVERY store there must abide by it.

Trading Score
    215 (100%)

ohh ok thanks for the explanation
    I wish it was for every store,I like the ottawa law. With the SCOP in place,there would be less space for silly mistakes and less hassel at the cash register and if there is a hassel,too bad I get my freebies then.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

ohh ok thanks for the explanation
    I wish it was for every store,I like the ottawa law. With the SCOP in place,there would be less space for silly mistakes and less hassel at the cash register and if there is a hassel,too bad I get my freebies then.
    Even though it isnt every store, there are so many that do participate I wouldnt worry too much about it.

Here is the list on the retailcouncil.org website:

CACDS Supporting Companies:
    Shoppers Drug Mart
    The Groupe Jean Coutu (NB and Ont only)
    Lawton Drug Stores
    London Drugs
    Lovell Drugs
    Pharma-save (BC and Sask)
    Pharma Plus

CCGD Supporting Companies:

Canada Safeway Limited
    The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company of Canada Limited
    Loblaw Companies Limited
    Sobeys Inc.
    Metro Inc.
    Thrifty Foods
    Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
    Co-op Atlantic
    Federated Co-operatives Limited

RCC Supporting Companies:
    Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
    The Home Depot Canada
    Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd.
    Toys r Us
    Rona
    Wal*Mart Canada Corp.
    Giant Tiger Stores Ltd.
    The North West Company
    Best Buy/Future Shop
    2 Home Hardware franchisees

CFIG Supporting Companies:
    Thrifty Foods
    Overwaitea Food Group
    The Harry Watson Group
    Longos Brothers Fruit Markets
    + 1374 independent locations

Last edited by EmperorOfCanada; Mon, May 4th, 2009 at 02:26 AM.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Wow...nice SCOPing! If the stores don't want to bother changing their prices...and BTW don't think that if the price at the till is scanning higher than the shelf price that they are going to rush to change it...for every one person who SCOPs there are 100 who don't even realize they have been ripped off and charged a higher price. Most people are totally oblivious when their items are being rung through...most don't pay attention to the screen to see what they are being charged. So if the OP finds that the stores haven't changed the price from week to week good on him for noticing...SCOP is in place for a reason and if the store doesn't want to make the corrections then that's on them.
    The OP isn't doing anything illegal or fraudulant. If you don't like don't it then don't it, but we really shouldn't be personally attacking him. It's ok to question whether you like or not the idea of SCOPing to the extreme, but it's not ok to belittle or insult.

Let's keep SC friendly and remember to each his or her own.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I haven't personally use SCOP but kudos to you for getting all that free!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by smartnewbie View Post
    I haven't personally use SCOP but kudos to you for getting all that free!
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwis-mom View Post
    Wow...nice SCOPing! If the stores don't want to bother changing their prices...and BTW don't think that if the price at the till is scanning higher than the shelf price that they are going to rush to change it...for every one person who SCOPs there are 100 who don't even realize they have been ripped off and charged a higher price. Most people are totally oblivious when their items are being rung through...most don't pay attention to the screen to see what they are being charged. So if the OP finds that the stores haven't changed the price from week to week good on him for noticing...SCOP is in place for a reason and if the store doesn't want to make the corrections then that's on them.
    The OP isn't doing anything illegal or fraudulant. If you don't like don't it then don't it, but we really shouldn't be personally attacking him. It's ok to question whether you like or not the idea of SCOPing to the extreme, but it's not ok to belittle or insult.

Let's keep SC friendly and remember to each his or her own.
    Thanks for commenting folks That is my thought as well Kiwi. Sometimes I feel like if they dont get this virtual slap in the face I am giving them, then they wont wake up and realize pricing is a serious issue.

When they dont take the time to correct their prices, they are enabling the store to rip off their customers.

Trading Score
    569 (100%)

Good for you!! I worked retail and every time there was a price change we had to check the shelves.I guess they were not doing there job if you kept getting them for free.
    Want free Christmas shopping???
    get giftcards to Amazon!!

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

Good for you for standing up for your rights. You really need to be a smart consumer and check your receipts and know the prices because I find that a lot of the times you can be charged the wrong price.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

once at SDM i went to but cold medicine and the shelf said $5.99 on sale so i got the day and night
    when it rang up it was $7.99 so i told the cashier it said $5.99 on shelf
    she said she would check and wandered off
    she came back with the outdated sale stickers and said they forgot to take them off so i would get both of them free

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mom4boys1girl View Post
    once at SDM i went to but cold medicine and the shelf said $5.99 on sale so i got the day and night
    when it rang up it was $7.99 so i told the cashier it said $5.99 on shelf
    she said she would check and wandered off
    she came back with the outdated sale stickers and said they forgot to take them off so i would get both of them free
    Now that is customer service. You didn't even have to fight for it. Good for you and good job on them for making it hassle free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information