• 1 Post By jessep13
  • 1 Post By Zonny
  • 2 Post By Darth Penguin

Thread: Herbs

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

What herbs do you usually have?

I usually have mint and cilantro, but I see recipes calling for thyme and basil and others like this, but I don't really see these around at the supermarket except in those plastic packets. Do you use these fresh or keep them dried at home?

Is there anywhere else that I can get these fresh?

Thanks
    This thread is currently associated with: Thyme Maternity
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

A lot of grocery stores have other ones fresh - they are usually in little clamshell-type packages.

The only herb I really use fresh is dill - I still have some left from last year (I freeze it).
    Otherwise, I use dried everything.
    About thyme, basil, etc. - I get packages of Italian seasoning, and it covers all the bases for me - I can use it for homemade pizza, on chicken, homemade potato wedges, etc.
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I have been buying the fresh herbs from various grocery stores since March, I see them at WalMart, No Frills, Food Basics and yes they are in the small plastic containers for maybe $1.99 or less sometimes. What I love is the difference in the taste of fresh vs dried. Costly? A bit, yes, but then I am making only certain diet /portion specific dishes with these herbs, so I buy and use fairly quickly so none sit and wilt.
    Oh and like Natalka said, fresh dill is awesome. It lasted quite a long time actually as the bundle was large.
    I also love the fresh sage! Feels so velvety to the touch, smells heavenly too.
    I have seen tyme there, and savory, but have not bought those ones.
    I also, like you have lots of mint growing out front.

Hope you find some you like eventually

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Fresh sage is my favorite fresh herb. I have an herb garden in a planter that I use all year long. It looks a bit scraggly in the winter months as it doesn't get a lot of sun in the window, but come summer, it thrives outside. I have had the same planter of herbs for a year and a half now. I buy fresh dill as I can't grown that in my container.

I grow Italian Parsely (that I use almost every day), Purple and green sage, thyme, rosemary, mint, cilantro and basil. They are all really hardy and extremely easy to grow. Your local farmers markets are a great source of fresh herbs. To keep them a bit longer in your fridge, when you get home, sort them, (don't wash them) get a paper towel and wet it, then ring it out really well, place your herb pile in it and wrap the towel around it. Place this package into a ziplock bag and put it in the fridge. You will be able to keep your fresh herbs for up to a month, depending on the herb.

Fresh herbs give so much more flavour than dried, but you also need to use a lot more. If a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of a dried herb, I will use 3 tablespoons of fresh herbs, sometimes more, but the taste is the best.

I love fresh mint. I make lemondade with real lemons, and I ALWAYS muddle fresh mint with some ice cubes before adding the other ingredients. It's the best lemonade ever!
    And thats my herb story
    Last edited by hollyquaiscer; Wed, Jun 13th, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
    jessep13 and walkonby like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

If you live near a Bulk Barn, you can buy small quantities of dried herbs and spices to try. They can be very expensive in the grocery stores, especially if you buy the premium McCormicks brand. Like Natalka, I freeze my extra dill and use that all year (parsley is good this way too). All others I use dried. My family aren't huge fans of me putting bunches of herbs in everything...my husband is a "salt and pepper" man...on more than one occasion I've gotten the comment: "What did you put in this? Tastes kinda grassy".
    Natalka and walkonby like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Holly, I've tried a few times to grow some herbs, but it is a running joke here, I kill everything. No matter how healthy something looks, it dies shortly after the magic from my black gardening thumb. meh, we can't be talented in everything I guess.
    Thanks for the tip of keeping them longer though, and marstec, a good laugh about your DH. ( tastes kinda grassy)
    I could just kick myself for not using dill all these years because my DH hated,hated,hated it.
    I was brainwashed to never buy or use it.
    Good grief I picked up a fresh bunch in the store in March, smelled it and LOVED it, Cooked for DD and with it she LOVED it, so I say HE'S nuts!
    Last edited by walkonby; Wed, Jun 13th, 2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    hollyquaiscer and marstec like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by hollyquaiscer View Post
    Fresh sage is my favorite fresh herb. I have an herb garden in a planter that I use all year long. It looks a bit scraggly in the winter months as it doesn't get a lot of sun in the window, but come summer, it thrives outside. I have had the same planter of herbs for a year and a half now. I buy fresh dill as I can't grown that in my container.

I grow Italian Parsely (that I use almost every day), Purple and green sage, thyme, rosemary, mint, cilantro and basil. They are all really hardy and extremely easy to grow. Your local farmers markets are a great source of fresh herbs. To keep them a bit longer in your fridge, when you get home, sort them, (don't wash them) get a paper towel and wet it, then ring it out really well, place your herb pile in it and wrap the towel around it. Place this package into a ziplock bag and put it in the fridge. You will be able to keep your fresh herbs for up to a month, depending on the herb.

Fresh herbs give so much more flavour than dried, but you also need to use a lot more. If a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of a dried herb, I will use 3 tablespoons of fresh herbs, sometimes more, but the taste is the best.

I love fresh mint. I make lemondade with real lemons, and I ALWAYS muddle fresh mint with some ice cubes before adding the other ingredients. It's the best lemonade ever!
    And thats my herb story

i have my own herb garden too! i have parsley, thyme, monarda ( which is more medicinal than herbal) and basil, and just recently i bought mint and chocolate mint! ( which is incredibly tasty in tea!) I find cooking with fresh herbs is soo much more flavourful than using the dried seasoning mixes.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I was watching something on TV about herb gardening earlier tonight. I have a planter with two rosemary and one basil, the basil isn't doing that well. Apparently basil in particular is VERY sensitive to excessive moisture, you have to make sure it's got lots of drainage. I suspect that's what's going on with my basil, should have punched more holes in the planter!

I don't like dill, but on the TV segment I saw they had a curry plant! I didn't know there was such a thing, will have to go look!

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Curry plant leaves don't taste like curry, but actually have a stron pungent odour. I tried one once. The only thing I ever found to use it in was to make an aoli with a small amount of the leaves. I think they resemble rosemary or lavender. As we know curry is a mix of various spices such as cardemum and cinnamon and such.

This plant (bush actually, if you don't keep it well pruned) is fairly easy to grow though. Make sure it has tons of sunshine and don't overwater it ) I've just found it a fairly usless herb. But everyone cooks diferently so others may find a use for it.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

It's more of a case of which herbs/spices I don't have and use.

I buy mine at an Indian supermarket in Montreal. The proce difference in amazing. I can buy 200g for the same price as 50g here.
    hollyquaiscer and walkonby like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Thread Information