User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Over the years I have noticed fewer and fewer gas stations offering free air to their customers. Many in my area (west-end Toronto) now charge 50 cents to turn on a small compressor long enough to maybe get to the third tire. On top of this the air is very saturated with moisture which I don't think is good for your tires or rims. Two Sunoco stations in my area seem to be the last to have converted to this trend in just the last month or so.

I think I may have to invest into a small compressor myself. You can usually get them at Canadian Tire for $10 or so when on sale but they are cumbersome and slow if you need to fill up your tires quite a bit especially coming out of or going into the winter months. But at 50 cents to a dollar a shot it may be a wiser move.

Anyone know of any other stations that still have "FREE" air?
    This thread is currently associated with: Canadian Tire

Prue
    There's a Petro Canada not far from my place that still has free air....but I suppose London's a little far! LOL

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Petro-Canada stations offer free air - it's their company policy.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

When air gets compressed, the air releases some moisture which gets collected inside the compressor. This is supposed to be drained on a regular basis, either through a manual valve, or automatically.

I always try to use a compressor that looks like it has been well-maintained, or I go to a gas station with a garage (service bays). Often the air compressor is the same one as for the mechanics' air tools, so the air has to be good quality.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I ended up asking for one for christmas for the same reason. That and I can now do it in the garage instead of in the rain!

bcteagirl
    They charge for everything these days! I am just waiting for the 'pay a quarter to get use of the squeedgie thingie'.. I bet we will see that within the next 5yrs..

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

try canadian tire but those portable ones work really well i have one and one tire was always needing refilling (to cheap to buy new one) and it doese'nt take that long maybe up to 5 min

IreneWpg
    A result of people abusing something. I have talked to a few garages and they complained about people stealing the ends, leaving the hose just lying there and plain not looking after what has been put there for their and everyone else's convenience.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bcteagirl View Post
    They charge for everything these days! I am just waiting for the 'pay a quarter to get use of the squeedgie thingie'.. I bet we will see that within the next 5yrs..
    Bet it won't take long before the squeegee thing happens. In the summer, the squeegees get stolen by the locals so they can use them to bum change by washing windshields of motorists trapped at a long traffic light.

In the winter, the squeegees get changed out like crazy because of people using them to wash their ENTIRE car instead of just the windshield - don't laugh, I have seen it happen quite often. They start off cleaning the salt and road grime off the windshield, then the headlights, then all the windows, then the door handles... by the time they are done, the squeegee looks like a ratty pom-pom.

bcteagirl
    Yep... we used to stop people from doing that at the 7-11! This is not a carwash is what we would say

NNL
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It won't be long and we will have companies selling us dehydrated water.

NNL

bcteagirl
    ROTFL!! Well, they already sell us little bottles of water packaged in plastic... ooo... waaay safer lol

Prue
    I'm so sad....I wanted that freebie!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The reason nobody offers free air anymore is the cost of offering it.

People line up at the compressor and run it constantly, one customer after another. Soon the machine overheats and quits.

The seal in the tip also wears out very quickly, and the tip often clogs with iced condensate in the winter, so people start smashing the nozzle on the ground to 'clear' it.

Air pumps are also a favorite target for vandalism, resulting in very costly repairs - sometimes as often as once a week. At our site, calling the repair contractor for the air pump results in a $150 fee, plus labour time, plus cost of parts. A $400 charge to fix the air pump is not uncommon, and when the station licensee makes such a small profit margin, he can rarely afford to subsidize a money loser like a free air pump.

Hence the reason for air costing money now.

BTW:
    the squeegees get changed out like crazy because of people using them to wash their ENTIRE car instead of just the windshield
    Yeah, I just love that, especially since they don't realize the sand and grit embedded in the squeegees from other people doing the same thing before them will put wonderful scratches all over their nice paint job.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

yah i always get free air at petro and other gas stations...never heard u had to pay for it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information