User Tag List

Here, there, everywhere! Damnedifiknow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well doesn't this just beat all! I've always lived in the country and am no stranger to walking through the fields or woods or what have you, but I have never actually seen Poison Ivy, just pics of it. Well low and behold, if I don't have some growing amongst the raspberries, gooseberries, wild grape and wild cucumber vines, just on the other side of the fence near the house. All of these bushes/vines are pretty much growing into each other in the same spot, so how in the heck do I get rid of the poison ivy?

Obviously I don't want to touch it, lol, but I can't leave it growing as I bet for one thing I forget about it next year and get a not so healthy dose of it and for another apparently if left to it's own devices the vine can get huge and cover a lot of ground/fence and up anything nearby such as the 60'+ spruce trees we have. Preferabley I would like to keep the bushes and don't really care about the wild grape and cucumber (only because I have lots growing in other spots here ), but I have no idea how I can possibley get rid of it without getting infected. Any ideas?

Forgot to add that I'll post a pic when the batteries for my camera are done charging.
    This thread is currently associated with: Fields
    Last edited by Damnedifiknow; Sun, Aug 23rd, 2009 at 10:36 AM.
    Come win with me!
    Still lurking around Smart Canucks? Join here!

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

You can remove it, but just do it while covered up. I would put on some rubber gloves with a set of work gloves over top, long sleeves, long pants and SHOES.

Take it out, being careful not to get anything on your face or hair. Then remove all of your clothes before doing anything else, throw them in the wash (wash them separately from everything else), take off the rubber gloves, throw them out and jump in the shower making sure to wash really really well.

It can be done, you just have to be careful.

Someone may have some better advice, but this is what I would definately do.
    SwagBucks.com - the premiere digital dollar. Earn SwagBucks to redeem for great prizes. Amazon.ca are available here!

LeadPrizes.com - I have redeemed for $6 into my PayPal account in just under two weeks. You can too with this awesome PTC site!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks so much for the advice! I happen to be over sensitive with plants like that for some reason. We have poison parsnip here too but as long as I don't touch the leaves it's fine.
    Come win with me!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oh goodness that stuff is crazy. I don't know if it works at all, but at the home depot the have some killer for it. I personaly have never seen poison ivy, poison oak, and I'm in the bush all the time to lol. You said that your highly sensitive to this, is there someone else in the family that might not be? and willing to be subjected to this? lol, or I wonder if when the winter comes if it might be easier to kill or remove.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Damnedifiknow View Post
    Thanks so much for the advice! I happen to be over sensitive with plants like that for some reason. We have poison parsnip here too but as long as I don't touch the leaves it's fine.
    I am the same way as you ... oversensitive to plants.

Here is some advice that I found online. It's basically the same as mine, but no soap is to be used: http://www.marrick.com/poison_ivy_removal.html

I would also, if you are super sensitive, get someone else to do it for you and you can be their "helper" person.

Good luck with removing it!
    SwagBucks.com - the premiere digital dollar. Earn SwagBucks to redeem for great prizes. Amazon.ca are available here!

LeadPrizes.com - I have redeemed for $6 into my PayPal account in just under two weeks. You can too with this awesome PTC site!

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Yep like babygonnerman says and use pruning shears or something. Do not touch the outside of the gloves, that stuff is lethal!

I got poison ivy once at my aunt's cottage in the Kawarthas when I was a kid and I was soooooooooooo itchy I could have killed myself. Not a pleasant childhood memory!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Gee, I'd go for the 'big kill' and use Round-up - you can safely do it to just the poison plants, and others will not be affected.
    Make sure it's poison ivy, though - there's also poison oak and sumac.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Poison-Ivy-Plants

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for the link and the advice! I know the pic isn't that great, but I just went out and took a few more and need to resize them yet...comparing them with poison ivy makes me think now that it isn't...but I'll be back in a few with some closer shots of the leaves.
    Come win with me!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I was just thinking to myself that doesn't look like poison ivy but the pic. is too far away. My neighbor has those vines growing in his cedar. Not sure now. Maybe new pics. will help.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The second picture shows one of the last flowers left on it, which reminds me now of Clematis Virginia, I guess also known as Wild Hops...This is an old homestead and they used to grow hops here as a business. A link to a pic of C.V.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cl...iniana_001.JPG

The bottom pic is a closer shot of the leaves...I should've adjusted my camera settings!

What do you guys think?
    Come win with me!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Did I solve my own problem or do some of you know what that is?
    Come win with me!

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

I think you solved your own mystery!!

Here is a link with a close-up of the leaves. That is what sealed the deal for me!!

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...a%3DN%26um%3D1

That's great that you don't have to worry about poison ivy, though

Thread Information