User Tag List

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree902Likes

Thread: How did you meet your loved one?

Trading Score
    569 (100%)

I was at the 40th annual Broad Cove Scottish Concert in August of 1996 with friends.They introduced us.Before this my BFF used to tell me that we would make a perfect couple but I never knew who she was taking about.We didn't start dating till October and 5 years later we got married on our dating anniversary which was also his parents and grandparents wedding anniversaries.
    Last edited by ccmp1974; Thu, Nov 19th, 2009 at 07:50 AM.
    ticul likes this.
    Want free Christmas shopping???
    get giftcards to Amazon!!

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

DH and I met online.... on ICQ to be exact!! this was about 11 years ago.... and in 2007, my friend and I embarked on a overseas working holiday.... starting in London,England.... we stayed there a week.... and then landed jobs, at the same place! in a little town in Scotland. I had never done waitressing before.... and I wasnt the fastest mover, lol. and they were so mean to me!! so I only stayed there for 2 months!! anyway.... I didnt wanna go home so soon.... so I decided to call up my sister....shes in Chilliwack, BC... and I went to stay with her family, helping her out with her bratty kids from hell...anyway.... the first day I arrived in Canada (may 2007) I logged onto MSN... and DH was online!! told him I was in Canada.... and he wanted to excahnge numbers!! Okay normally I DONT do that!! but for some reason I thought, what the hell.... so we talked on the phone for a couple of hours... and everyday for 2 months... until he flew out west to meet me!! he stayed for 4 weeks... then I flew to Moncton and and stayed with him for 2 weeks..... and 6 weeks after that... I moved in with him!! and I havent gone home for a visit yet! lol, I honestly thought my friend would have stayed overseas longer than me... ( Im quiet and shy!) but nope... shes been back home for a few months now...
    and we got married in april of last year.. at the courthouse.... in august we had a proper wedding with the fancy clothes and reception.... and we are having an aussie wedding/bbq when we go there next year!!!!!

so thats my long story!!!!
    ticul and angel_2011 like this.

Trading Score
    32 (100%)

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

ICQ... wow that was ages ago, I used to use that! oh oh

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

DH and I met at college. We were both there for three years before we met. I had never even seen him around campus - the school we went to was not very big, and it was actually really hard not to have at least seen everyone once or twice. Anyways, we met in our last year of school in the courser we were taking - Natural Resources Law Enforcement.

I am a super shy person, and he's fairly outgoing. Well, we had to find a group to work with for an assignment, so he asked me to work in his. Reluctantly, I agreed - I was hoping to work with the girls more than with the guys. When we were alone at one point, he basically told me that I wasn't really all that approachable and not very friendly. I told him to go make love with himself (in a not so nice way), and proved his point lol. After that, we were inseparable. We "studied" together, partied together, and made sure that we were partners or in the same group for every assignment. We were even partners in the self-defence/necessary force course we took. I got to beat the crap out of him!!

Well, a year later we bought a house together because we were expecting (I was working in Milton, and he was working the other side of Algonquin park). We lost that baby, and didn't try again for two more years (or so). Now we have an adorable little boy and a beautiful little girl together.

Nope, we're not married (yet), but I call him DH. We've done everything but the getting married part together. Neither one of us are too worried about whether or not we get married - to us, it's just a certificate. We know we're committed to eachother forever.
    SwagBucks.com - the premiere digital dollar. Earn SwagBucks to redeem for great prizes. Amazon.ca are available here!

LeadPrizes.com - I have redeemed for $6 into my PayPal account in just under two weeks. You can too with this awesome PTC site!

Trading Score
    115 (100%)

Well, I met my hubby through a mutual friend at a place called Country Camping. If you are from Southwestern Ontario you may have heard of it, but for everyone else its a huge party campground. This particular weekend was "Ladies Weekend" where its geared towards ladies - had male strippers and everything - so I thought it would be all girls there having fun. I was soooo wrong, it was mostly guys (trying to pick up girls). I guess his strategy worked - we will be married 5 years in April, together for 7 years total.

Lua
    Female
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

What a great topic! i love reading everyone's stories!

My bf and I met online actually.. plentyoffish.com to be exact.. in March of 2008. It had been almost a year since the horrible end of my enagement (found out that my ex-fiance cheated, and had been cheating on me for almost our entire 3 year relationship ---- i found out via the girl he was cheating on me with -- on fb of all places.. he got her pregnant... as far as i know, they never had the baby, but are still together to this day.. but that is besides the point, those 2 deserve eachother) ANYHOO... the ex and I had actually bought a house and it was 1 month prior to the closing date that I found out about the cheating. I ended up with the house in a town where I really didn't know anyone except for my parents and co-workers. (parents moved to this area when I went to university). It had been almost a year and I was lonely. I am not the bar-hopping type, and I wasn't about to go to bars alone trolling for guys, so I decided to venture the lovely world of online dating.

Money has been tight since I was stuck with the house on my own, so I wasn't going to pay for a dating site... so alas, I ended up on POF. After going on a couple of dates (something I *NEVER* thought I'd have the guts to do) and meeting some awesome guys, who I am still friends with, and... after fending off the MANY creeps that are on there, I saw a pic of C (my bf). Honestly, no joke - the moment I saw his pic and read his profile I was like "Ok, this guy is THE one!" I just knew it! I sent him a message and nervously waited for a response which came soon after. After many pof messages back and forth, we progressed to msn chats through the wee hours of the morning, on work nights even! In those early chatting days, we both decided to be completely 100% honest about our past relationships, mostly because I was so unbelievably scarred after the end of my engagement, my ability to trust was shot! Well, it turned out, C had been through the exact same thing! He had bought a house with his ex and after only 6 months, he found out she had been cheating on him. After pouring our hearts out to eachother we continued messaging back and forth for a few weeks then decided to meet. We were both super nervous to meet, but once we were together, everything just seemed natural. By may 1st we decided "hey, lets make L&C official!" we promptly cancelled our POF accounts and have been incredibly happy ever since! It has been amazing to work through our past issues together as a team and we now both trust eachother with our lives! although there is no ring on my finger yet, we talk about getting married and having kids all the time. He is just finishing up his last semester of school and providing everything goes as planned, he should have a job by early spring and then he will move in to my big empty house and we will really start our life together.
    Last edited by Lua; Thu, Nov 19th, 2009 at 09:22 AM.
    Join SWAGBUCKS! Get free amazon $!!!
    My Blog: http://mypinkthumb.com

Trading Score
    202 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jessandjake2005 View Post
    Well, I met my hubby through a mutual friend at a place called Country Camping. If you are from Southwestern Ontario you may have heard of it, but for everyone else its a huge party campground. This particular weekend was "Ladies Weekend" where its geared towards ladies - had male strippers and everything - so I thought it would be all girls there having fun. I was soooo wrong, it was mostly guys (trying to pick up girls). I guess his strategy worked - we will be married 5 years in April, together for 7 years total.

Ackk, that's so funny Jess, you met 5 minutes from where I live, lol.

And folks, jess and I have something in common we found out here on SC.
    Jess's sister in law is married to my hubby's first cousin. We were at the same wedding and didn't know each other yet.
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemoe0 View Post

Jess's sister in law is married to my hubby's first cousin. We were at the same wedding and didn't know each other yet.
    omg that is soo funny Moe

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Gosh, I love reading all of these stories!!! Love is in the air!
    (some of you maybe read my answer on another thread, but I made additions...)

We met at church, in my home city. He was there from another city, visiting his brother, who was our parish priest at the time. I was very close to his brother, and was very involved in church activities.
    I was in the choir, up in the choir loft, and saw down in a pew this tall man with dark hair in a long grey coat (it was winter), and it was obvious he was a 'stranger' (small parish, you know everyone). Asked my mom if she knew who he was, so SHE asked around the choir, and someone told her.
    When we went down from the choir loft to get Communion during the Liturgy, I sneaked a peek at him as I walked back down the aisle - hm, very European looking, the dark mysterious type...
    Well, my dad was the deacon at the church, and he and my mom would often have the priest over for lunch after the liturgy. So that day they invited the priest, this brother, and me as well.
    After lunch, the men went to the living room (typical!) and mom and I were clearing up after lunch.
    --- Now two things you need to know here - my mom was extremely conservative; secondly, the man I was dating seriously was in Europe going to university. He was studying Theology, on his way to the priesthood, and we had already talked marriage. We are Ukrainian Catholic, and the Byzantine Rite allows married priests. (My husband's dad was a priest.) ---
    Anyway, my mom dared (yes, dared!) me to ask George out. Well, I was shocked! (They did like my bf!) So I did it - I went into the living room and asked him if he wanted to go see a movie that evening - and how could he say no with my dad and his brother there?
    So we went to a movie (Poltergeist II) and out for a snack after.
    He was just there for that weekend, and we both went back to our lives. That summer he went to Yugoslavia, his home country, for a visit - and I spent the summer at university finishing my second degree, getting my Bachelor of Education.
    Then, irony comes into play... in the fall I moved five hours away for a teaching job in a small town - and HE moved to my home city! Over that year we met a few times for coffee; I was home a lot because my dad was very ill.
    The next summer, the bf came home from Europe to work for the summer in my home city - and I moved home for the summer as well. However, George the new dude, had other ideas. He actually went to see my bf at his workplace (he's an artist, and was helping repaint the interior of our parish church) and asked if he was serious about me - if he wasn't, then he should let me go. Wow! I did not know ahead of time he was going to do this!
    So I later talked to the bf, and we basically had grown apart - partially because he was away, but not all (other circumstances), and we broke it off.
    Then George and I began seriously dating and were married two years later in 1989 - so we have had 20 amazing years together!
    ---
    An addendum - I am not usually one to believe in destiny/fate, etc. but it comes to play in our relationship. My husband had emigrated from Yugoslavia to Canada in 1976, when he was 25. He had been sent to Rome when he was 14 to go to seminary there, and stayed there til he was 17, then he returned to his home country to do military service, went to technical college, and started a business. But communism was just too much for him, and he knew he had to leave.
    I'm just putting a disclaimer in here, because in no way is he a 'new age' kind of guy or anything - but he dreamed that he had to go to Canada and find a woman named Natalie, and he said he even knew what I looked like.
    Ok, yes, it creeped me out a bit when he told me that, after we had been together for a long time. But he's serious when he explains it...
    So it WAS meant to be. And it's wonderful!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemoe0 View Post

That is SO COOOL!!!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Awww such wonderful stories! Good thread idea.

I am a member of an electronic music forum. I first moved to Toronto when I was 17 or 18, and I had no friends here. A lot of the forum members would get together and go to clubs every couple of weeks if a good DJ was spinning. I was so shy, but someone convinced me to go and meet everyone at an event in 2005. I was introduced to my boyfriend (who I just knew as his online name back then) that night. He was an a**hole on the forum, but he was such a sweetheart in real life, haha. We became really good friends and soon became inseparable. He and I had sooo much in common. We'd finish eachother's sentences all the time! We would go everywhere together. One night in 2007 he told me that he had feelings for me and I said I do too. We started dating and eventually moved in together. Our love for eachother keeps growing more and more.
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

What a great topic, I was just about to post the same thing!

Bf & I met at a cottage party. I had just cheated death and wanted to do things that I had never done before. Over the years, I was involved in a few long term relationships and never got the chance to express my interest in him. I was there, single and very happy to be alive and he was there interested too. It was supposed to be a one night stand. The day after I felt so horrible and too top it off his ex gf was there too. My mom was sooo ashamed of me. I had never ever done such a thing before, and I guess I still have not done it. The one night stand turned out to be a 10yr+ relationship. I stopped counting after our 10th anniversary. A few years later we bought the neighboring cottage and get lots of laughs about was to be our one shot tryst.
    ticul likes this.
    My Queen passed out from pure bliss thanks to her secret Santa. Bless you kind angel

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I met my DH online too! We met ten years ago on a dating site called American Singles. Sounds like it's for Americans, but no it's not, there's people there from all over the world.

I saw DH's profile and noted that he was tall, 6'5. I'm 5'11 myself, I don't date short guys. So I sent him a message, we chatted by email for awhile, then graduated to the phone. After about a month of this, we decided to meet in person. We arranged to meet in a coffee shop, and if things went well, maybe we'd continue on and do something else, have a meal, etc. I've discovered that sometimes you can have great chemistry with someone over the phone, but in person it can be just different.

At this point we had never even seen a photo of each other. All I really knew was he was tall. So I walked into the coffee shop looking for a tall guy, and saw piles of guys..ALL SITTING DOWN. How do you find the tall guy in the coffee shop who's sitting down???

Anyhow, I got in line to get a coffee, checking out who was in the shop while I waited. There was a 40+ guy with a ponytail near the door who was smiling at me, I'm thinking, "Oh please God don't let that be him!"

Fortunately it wasn't. After I got my coffee, DH stood up - looking up at him, I was like, oh, you must be M! Things did go well at the coffee shop, so we continued on to get some food and go to a movie.

That was ten years ago (I like to think of us being among the pioneers of online dating). We've been married for six years now, and have a three year old son.

On the topic of online dating, you really can learn a lot about a person by emailing. As I mentioned above, sometimes the chemistry isn't there in person, even though they may be great to talk to on the phone. I did go on one date with a guy like that - very interesting to talk to, but in person, nothing (I suppose that his leaving out facts about himself such as being bald and living in his mother's basement had a bit to do with it too).

Another guy, when we messaged for awhile and we didn't seem to have anything in common, I told him as much. He replied back with a bunch of profanity and I was grateful he didn't have my home phone number or more than my first name! But as I pointed out to my mom when I told her I was meeting people online, the people I'd dated from meeting in person weren't exactly the sanest bunch either. So I didn't let that get to me.

In my profile I had specified a few of the more important things I was looking for that were important - age, location, etc. At the time I was in my 20s and really wasn't considering anyone over 30, and was seeking someone in my general area. But it was funny how many people would message me and say, "But I'm a YOUNG 54!" or "Virginia isn't that far away!"

I'm having a great time reading these stories BTW.

Z

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by VeeVee View Post
    McMinsen your story almost made me cry!

Great stories...love isn't it lovely

Love is wonderful, and McMinsen, I did cry, that is such an amazing story with a Happily Ever After ending! May you have many more years of 2 hour after dinner chats..it's wonderful to marry your best friend isn't it?
    ticul likes this.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information