User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Feeling guilty about a purchase

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I lost my old flip phone the other day, no where to be found. So after looking at a few smartphones I decided on the iPhone 5c today. I considered cancelling my landline and just using cell service. Brought the phone home and just need to hook it up with a monthly plan in my budget range. Sounds good right? Well I feel guilty now spending that much money on a phone! I won't get into debt with this purchase, I watch my money closely. I feel sort of guilty spending this much. Okay I know it's a multi purpose device.. talk, ibooks, camera, apps, games, music player etc etc.

There is a part of me that says take it back, buy a cheap flip phone, unlock it, and use the speak out plan (cheap plan). I use a cell phone for quick calling, light texting (texting a bit difficult on flip phone?) I admit wifi is a bonus feature on a smartphone for checking map, bus schedule etc in a mall, coffee shop etc. But not an everyday occurrence.

Arrgh! Decisions, decisions..
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple
    Last edited by toban; Sat, Jul 26th, 2014 at 09:13 PM.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Last I checked you were in the market for a phone and educated yourself before your purchase. Don't feel guilty about the new if you are happy about it. I saved $450 to buy my 4S a year ago on a tab plan (when they still existed). I did that so I could get an inexpensive plan. It was a good investment. My SmartPhone has simplified my life in many ways and I ended up cancelling my landline.

As a result of this we now pay for our two smartphones $90/month, internet unlimited rural high speed $80 month, Netflix $8 month and a one time fee of a Refurbished Apple TV $100. We are now saving $120 a month with no landline or cable package. :D

I am currently enjoying a new episode of 24, bought the season with an iTunes gift card through VISA points.

You will make it work for you. Congrats on your purchase and whatever your next step will be...
    Last edited by Granger; Sat, Jul 26th, 2014 at 09:37 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks Granger! It's true I shopped around and asked questions before my purchase. The phone is quite neat to use. I needed a phone that was small to handle (hand injuries, several surgeries.. I don't find it easy to hold larger style smart phones). I have to bite my tongue, not feel guilty and enjoy the darn thing. I'm curious about the Apple tv. Do you get similar channels to cable? Or less? Do you pay for individual channels? News channels included? Thanks!
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had the same guilt many years ago. However it didn't take long for me to get over it.
    • Transit Rider... love how I can track incoming buses to my stop by looking up their GPS
      http://nb.translink.ca/Map/Route/016
      I love receiving accident or service interruption notices that allows me to adjust my travel plans to avoid frustrations.
    • Outdoors... being able to quickly look up the latest forecasts by current location is a riot.
      http://skymotion.com/nowcastweb/
    • Telus Optik customer? You can now watch live TV on your phone, as well as remotely set recordings.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT56vJ8pd84
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubX-sTHkV50
    • Scheduliing.... I keep forgetting what I promised for the next day or next week. After making notes, I can quickly recall my commitments.
    • Emails? Let's not forget the key function of a phone. Replying to forum messages is now so easy.

The key secret is to master the abilities of your smartphone to get over your remorse.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=R_W90BfB5Zs&t=46

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Apple TV you have to buy everything...unless it is jail broken...which we as a family don't do. We ended up deciding we can live with less to save money. We stream everything from the Internet now...all our regular shows we can watch online within a week of them airing. Sports is the only downside as DH does like hockey and we are still looking for a solution to that. We beam the programs from our iPad or MacBook to the television. It was an expensive transition initially, but is now saving us tons of money. Our iPhones were our last investment because we were so happy with out other purchases. Apple TV would only be good in your scenario if you had another more powerful Apple device or don't mind the whole jail broken-bootlegged thing (you can get these in android too). I am sure you will enjoy your new purchase.
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

"Replying to forum messages is now so easy."

Oh yes, download Tapatalk!!!
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I ended up returning the iPhone. I agree it's a neat phone but felt it was too costly for myself. If the iPhone was my only 'computer', as in I didn't own a desktop etc, then I would have kept it. I ended up purchasing a Blackberry Q5 on prepaid from Koodo. Cheaper and so far it works great.
    Last edited by toban; Sun, Jul 27th, 2014 at 11:06 PM.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

-Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Buyer's remorse. It sometimes happens, and the fact that you acted on it and returned it instead of giving in to it, took real smarts, Toban..
    It's the old, "I want" vs "I need"....I hope you're comfy with your decision!
    ninna, walkonby and toban like this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

One day you will get it...and feel ok about your purchase. I ALWAYS feel guilty about purchasing anything for myself. Usually I won't and someone in my family will get it for me for my b-day or x-mass or something like that. I'm very impressed with your ability to return something you feel in a want, as lynn stated.
    Lynn49, ninna and TooCouponCrazy like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm happy with the decision, return of the iPhone, and the purchase of the Blackberry. I don't feel as remorseful with a cheaper phone
    Last edited by toban; Sun, Jul 27th, 2014 at 11:10 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Glad to hear you came to a decision you feel good about. Hope you enjoy your new phone.
    ROMEO and Lynn49 like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hollyquaiscer View Post
    One day you will get it...and feel ok about your purchase. I ALWAYS feel guilty about purchasing anything for myself. Usually I won't and someone in my family will get it for me for my b-day or x-mass or something like that. I'm very impressed with your ability to return something you feel in a want, as lynn stated.
    haha. That's me too. I seldom buy stuff for myself to the point that it's ridiculous. Like, I have stupid things on my wish list that any "normal" person would have gone and bought for themselves eons ago. (example: new hand towels for the bathroom). I mean, for love of god they are hand towels not a bloody Rolex watch! LOL. DH has always been in charge of the phone purchase for me because otherwise, I'd still be using my old Nokia from 1999. I just can't and won't buy things for myself. Period.

I too am impressed with your ability to return the item! Glad you are happy with your decision. In the end, one has to feel comfortable with the decisions they've made!
    walkonby and Granger like this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Update. My cheaper phone that I bought this past Sunday is acting up. I'm experiencing problems with it not shutting off sometimes. Too bad because texting is a breeze with a physical keyboard on the Blackberry Q5. I still have time to return it. Debating whether to exchange it for another one or paying up more moolah for iPhone again. Need a phone that isn't gigantic but one that works lol.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would take the phone back to the retailer immediately for their thoughts. Many retailers have a warranty to handle defective products. If you wait past that window, you will need to deal with the manufacturer who might send back refurbished products.
    DiamondLil likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information