• 2 Post By bargain_hunter_lola
  • 5 Post By Zonny
  • 4 Post By ninna
  • 2 Post By sweet sparrow
  • 2 Post By TooCouponCrazy
  • 1 Post By Cake
  • 1 Post By CouponKitten
  • 1 Post By vibrantflame

Thread: Recommendations for Quality backpacks?

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

My kids barely make it through the school year without needing new backpacks! We tried a Dickies one with lifetime guarantee but it also wore out within a year and we lost the receipt to return it. Any suggestions on something that might last? Doesn't have to look fancy.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I know it depends upon the age, but by the time my son needed a really sturdy one, Roots backpacks were absolutely the best.
    We always got them at London Drugs, which had the best prices, but I know you don't have LD!

Just for example

http://www.londondrugs.com/on/demand...implesearch=Go

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

i'd highly recommend spending a little more $ as well.. quality counts. we spent anywhere from $5-20 MAX on cheap backpacks that would last 3-4 months maybe.
    then when our kids entered highschool. we stopped into costco they had Swiss army ones for $40. we were hesitant about spending that amount of money. however they came with a 3 year warranty. worst case scenario they'd at least last until near graduation.
    its been 6 years they still have them. next to no wear.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I bought a Swiss Army one for about $60 during my first year in university and still use it to this day! In fact, DH wore it all today at the Toronto Zoo and said he was impress how comfortable it is (and that's after 9 years of use).

Also Costco usually has Roots ones for sale around back to school and I'm told they are really good. I bought DD a roots lunch bag and its fantastic! It has a plastic lining you can take out and clean. Very high quality.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I also say Roots. We get them for about $20 at Costco, $15 on sale. The zippers don't fall off within weeks as they do with cheapo ones.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I also say Roots. We get them for about $20 at Costco, $15 on sale. The zippers don't fall off within weeks as they do with cheapo ones.
    I second that! (or is that a third of the suggestion??) Roots backpacks are affordable and they hold up. In fact, my kids get tired of the design before the backpack gives out (LOL) so usually after two or three years I replace theirs with a new one and I take over their old one as my work out bag and use it for a couple of years myself.

Their lunch pails are pretty good too and usually match the back pack designs if that's something you want.

Costco is the best place to buy those backpacks...and the cheapest place I've found them as well. Oh, I love Costco sometimes!!
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I like the Roots packs as well, but I also love MEC for quality and price. They stand behind their products, and have done so beyond the return date for me (I was happy with the quality, not with the weight distribution). I guess it depends on how old your "little ones" are, but I've had some of their bags for almost 15 years. Sometimes they've carried daily loads of 15 lbs and more, sometimes less. I haven't had issues with the zipper or the stitching yet.

I know they say not to put them in the washing machine so I lightly rinse mine periodically in a delicate hand wash detergent.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Roots backpacks held up well for my kids as well. Also Swiss Gear backpacks is what I have been buying. I bought them at Staples the past few years and have had no issues with them.
    vibrantflame and ROMEO like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I like the Roots packs as well, but I also love MEC for quality and price. They stand behind their products, and have done so beyond the return date for me (I was happy with the quality, not with the weight distribution). I guess it depends on how old your "little ones" are, but I've had some of their bags for almost 15 years. Sometimes they've carried daily loads of 15 lbs and more, sometimes less. I haven't had issues with the zipper or the stitching yet.

I know they say not to put them in the washing machine so I lightly rinse mine periodically in a delicate hand wash detergent.
    The MEC backpacks were great. Got our son a daypack in kindergarten and in Grade 7 replaced it with a bigger one. He's in University and both are still in use.
    vibrantflame likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

no no no... you got it all wrong!!
    the best backpacks ever are Ogio backpacks. they're like a strong but silent skateboarders backpack and will last from grade 6 to grade 12 (personal experience!!). they're from $40 to $80ish. the straps are strong and thick, the bottom is well sewn into the sides, and theres pockets for everything. i got mine at west49 in the mall. you can also check luggage shops, or maybe even the bay (if you still have one in your area).

i would love to have this backpack:
    http://ogio.com/backpacks/operatrix
    vibrantflame likes this.

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

Thank you all for the recommendations. We went to Costco yesterday and picked out one Swiss Gear and one Roots backpack. Both have a 2 year warranty, and both seem to be much better quality then the ones Wal-Mart sells, plus it is so easy to return stuff at Costco. And it only cost me slightly more then what I would have paid for two backpacks that wouldn't last. Thanks again guys!

Thread Information