User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Price of Meat is going to go NUTS

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

This thread is currently associated with: Loblaws, McDonald's
    Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 09:49 AM.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I have noticed the trend myself. I am a huge fan of roast beef. In the past could buy a fair sized roast for under $10 now looking at $17 -18 unless there is a good sale. We used to have this every Sundays but now it's occasionally.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

My family loves meat and the increases are obvious in our food budget. I am trying to do meals with less meat and at least once a week no meat. Thankfully our youngest gave up hotdogs, gone are the days of cheap hotdogs and he was the only one that would eat them. But there love of bacon is insane. Thankfully I put 30 packages in the freezer when they predicted an increase last fall and did it with a sale and SDM points. We are down to about 5 packs. These are the 500 gram size as well. I am hoping to do the same with a bonus/mega redemption around Christmas.
    Giseledta, lecale and Anna Michele like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I'm surprised actually because I definitely haven't noticed a price in pork except for the bacon. And I think I only noticed the bacon pricing was because we buy so much of it. We can still get hot dogs for $1 a pack just like we have been for the last several years, you just have to watch for a sale. Haven't noticed with sandwich meat either, I actually find that ham is the cheapest of them all.

And with beef we only really ever buy ground which I'm still getting for under $2/LB for lean when I wait for sales. Otherwise we buy our steaks from M&M's and wait for a $9.99 sale for 4 and stock up usually in summer.

We don't eat much beef anyways so even if prices did go up it wouldn't affect us much.
    Natalka and Durham Couponer like this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

I always do things like add a can of beans to taco meat to stretch it.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sobeys had the family packs of lean ground beef for $1.99/lb a couple of weeks ago, which beat the poorer quality small market ground beef prices. But bacon prices and sizes have impacted our menu planning, it's much more expensive now and one package fits on a cookie tray instead of needing two trays per package (cooks flat in the oven on parchment paper).
    Anna Michele likes this.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Durham Couponer View Post
    Sobeys had the family packs of lean ground beef for $1.99/lb a couple of weeks ago, which beat the poorer quality small market ground beef prices. But bacon prices and sizes have impacted our menu planning, it's much more expensive now and one package fits on a cookie tray instead of needing two trays per package (cooks flat in the oven on parchment paper).
    We do ours in the oven on a cookie sheet as well but use aluminum foil as its easier to fold carefully afterwards for little to no mess afterwards.

I've been watching bacon and WM had 500g packs on a week or two ago for $2.47. Some of them were terrible cuts and the other quarter of the packs available appeared to be nicely sliced. I got a mixture of both. The sloppy cuts I cut up with scissors and then fry in a pan for salads, soups that type of thing. The nicely cut stuff I use for bacon and eggs.

Giant Tiger usually has really good $1.88 sales on the 500g packs of Bobs Bacon but that stuff is horendously cut so can only be used for salads and soups the way I do it.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I have been noticing this and it is challenging. While I have been trying to get a more vegetable based diet for our family working. My growing boy likes a good hamburger- this is going to hurt us.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Every time I wander through the meat department I'm shocked at how expensive it is. I buy ground beef, bacon, and chicken drumsticks/thighs when on sale. I occasionally splurge on steak or ribs. I noticed M&M Meats had an 18pk of frozen burger patties on sale for $18 recently, but didn't want to buy w/o knowing the quality - anyone try them?

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

We've noticed this for quite some time - and frankly, I'm getting sick of eating chicken. I love chicken, but enough is enough already...

Bacon here has gotten stupid - $4 for 375 g, over $5 for 500g. We haven't had it for ages - and, yes, we miss it lots.

Pork we can still get at ok prices - chops are at decent prices, Sobey's has them on sale often. Best price for ground pork is what we get from a local butcher, a 10lb box.

I miss ground beef, too. Haven't had any this year at all. Mind you, anything I make with ground beef usually tastes great with lean ground pork.

Beef - ha, I forget what something like roast beef tastes like, lol!
    As a previous poster mentioned, just to have some steak this year, we have bought the M&M sirloins when they have been on sale.
    Before I at least would be able to buy blade steak at a decent price, then take the time to slow roast it and it was awesome - however, it's at a similar price what higher cuts would be, doesn't make sense.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Horse is still cheap round here...just can't bring myself to buy it..
    walkonby and torontogal12 like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

This has been affecting us for a while. We don't eat much meat to begin with, and I haven't bought steak in the 3 years we've been married. I do enjoy beef tenderloin but we always get pork instead because it's cheaper and still tasty.

In a week, we eat about two packs of whatever fresh meat is on sale. We end up buying a lot of frozen or canned fish and frozen meat that we can get with coupons.

I prefer grain fed and hormone-free meat but if we get that all the time, it would bankrupt us. We save money on veggies in the summer and fall with the abundance from my dad's garden. Free tomatoes (and sauce for years), zucchini, onions, green beans. We use this savings for the meat
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sat, Sep 6th, 2014 at 11:54 PM.
    Natalka, walkonby and Anna Michele like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thankfully there are plenty of meat farmers in Nova Scotia who I can buy directly from.

Fresh free-range chickens are $3.49/lb.
    Cows (yes a whole cow) works out to $3.79/lb regardless of the beef cuts you request.

I don't eat pork (well except bacon on the very rare occasion). And horse....nope.
    Natalka and Anna Michele like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I think I am glad we are vegetarians

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I used to get a whole beef sirloin tip at Costco for about $30, cut into manageable roasts, etc. Now it's over $40. Haven't had roast beef for ages!
    Natalka and Anna Michele like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information