User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: 30% now off clearance Loblaws stores-

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I guess they're going to be throwing a lot of food away!! I won't be buying anything if it's only reduced 30%!!! The meat at my store has always been reduced by 30% and I asked the butcher once if it was 50% I might buy it.. He said, he can only reduce it by 30%.. I said, "what do you do with it if you don't sell it? He said, "we throw it out".. In the letter Chantel received above Saika says they want to remain competitive..doesn't it make sense to make some money rather than throwing it out!!! How can you stay competitive if you would rather throw the food out than give your customers a good price!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Same in Saskatoon...but I saw soo many more 30% than previously...I think people like me are also avoiding buying these items for 30%.

I noticed that now they are putting 30% label on products with long expiry dates too i.e. I just a couple of weeks ago, they put 30% code on this huge yogourt that was expiring in Dec 30, though it took more time to sell these
    pippinelkhound likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For the past 2 weeks, I have refrained from posting about this, hoping that it was a temporary thing, or due to the stickers being on "long-ish" short expiry products. I can now confirmed that it is not, and it seems to be the new permanent thing @ my Maxi.

I am referring to the pink and/or orange stickers on products that either have a hosrt expiry, or are expiring day of (baked goods, perishables, etc.)

My maxi no longer reduces the price by 50%

Short expiry/clearance/expires today is now only -30%!

I am sooooooooo upset!

Anybody else notice this, or is this a very local thing?

Appreciate your input...

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It's everywhere. Voice your complaints on their social media and send them emails. All Loblaws chain stores are doing this and it sucks. The only way to make a change back is to complain loudly.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I noticed the same at Superstore in Edmonton.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Freaking Loblaws. The other day at the store we looked for cinnamon bread, croissants and danishes -- all of them were 30% off because the full price ones were all gone.

Really, I would've taken the old pastries if they were 50% off, but they left me with a choice of 30% or nothing-- I chose nothing and bought my stuff at Freshco the next day. Vote with your dollars.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Wed, Dec 17th, 2014 at 11:55 AM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Freaking Loblaws. The other day at the store we looked for cinnamon bread, croissants and danishes -- all of them were 30% off because the full price ones were all gone.

Really, I would've taken the old pastries if they were 50% off, but they left me with a choice of 30% or nothing-- I chose nothing and bought my stuff at Freshco the next day. Vote with your dollars.
    Yup, I agree completely. Sooner or later they're going to discover that no one will be buying the 30% products because it's just not worth it. I'd rather wait for a sale on the same product and get a fresh one than pay the same discounted price on something not so fresh.

I went shopping today and the big fruit trays were marked down 30% off. Now had it been 50% I might have considered buying it but 30% isn't worth it for me. They're making a ton of money off those fruit trays as it is, you can't tell me that they're going to lose money if they slap a 50 on that tray.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wow! I didn't know it was everywhere!

Sorry if I missed previous posts about this, but I am sure glad I spoke up. Thanks for your replies... we should try to do something about this. Obviously, the people buying near expired stuff are not wealthy. Exactly what is it they are trying to do? Keep food that they will soon have to throw out from the poor?

Anyways, ever since they changed over, the pink sticker cart in the baked goods station hasn't been getting cleared out they way it used to at all. I go at the end of the day and it's still full of -30% stuff. I wonder if they are throwing all of this out in the end, now. Seems to me they'd be making more money if they'd be selling it, albeit for less, than chucking it.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That is when I would stock up on bread at 50% off. I would just put it in the freezer. (I seen the 30% sticker for a lot of good bread at my local extra foods as well the other day. No one was buying it and I can't say I blame them. I never bought any either.)

It looks like now I will be going to Costco for my bread products, as it seems this is about the cheapest.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Was at RCSS yesterday. Looked over the 30% off shelf and nope, didn't buy a thing. That stuff is either gonna end up at the food bank or in the garbage. I'm not sure what the customers are being punished for but hey, two can play the game! Vote with your feet.
    Shop online often? Join ebates.ca to get cashback on your purchases! I have earned over $230 to date.

Always looking for Pampers Gift To Grow codes! If you don't use them, please RAOK them to me.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Ditto with all the comments - 30% hardly feels like a deal on already over-priced produce that has been sitting around. I could be getting better quality by price matching elsewhere for a cheaper price. Is it possible that they are justifying this with the introduction of PC plus?

I gotta say, I've had a PC plus card for about a year now and the usage is dwindling. Lately, I'll be able to match up an offer with a sale every few weeks. So it's definitely not getting me into the store more than other grocery stores. Add to this the loss of the 50% deal stickers and well...guess I'll take my money (and coupons!) elsewhere.
    Ciel, walkonby and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
    Obviously, the people buying near expired stuff are not wealthy. Exactly what is it they are trying to do? Keep food that they will soon have to throw out from the poor?
    Sometimes the people buying are wealthy. They try to save their wealth too. I have seen them shop these deals as well
    d.ot likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm pretty sure WalMart started this trend. Used to be 50% off, then 30, lately it's been 25% off. Bakery and meat.

Day old bread has always been 50% until now.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Was in RCSS the other day 30% off pink stickers everywhere, if they had of been 50% probably would have tripled what we spent but due to them only being 30% only bought what was on my list.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information