• 6 Post By windowwendy
  • 4 Post By SavvyLady
  • 4 Post By PurpleBunny89
  • 2 Post By ilovecats
  • 2 Post By SavvyLady

Thread: Cashiers who clear shelves

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I went to Walmart today for my weekly grocery shop. I went to an aisle to find something on my list only to find that the shelf was empty of them. On the shelf it said limit 6. I got the rest of my items and proceeded to the checkout.

Low and behold in front of me is a lady with 24 of the specific item that was cleared out. This item isn't one that would normally have a lot in stock of because of the small shelf space so it was very obvious that the shelf has been full before she got there. I decided to bite my tongue. Well the cashier didn't say anything despite the fact that they have been cracking down on the 6 rule for a few months now (as well as the other store in our City) and enforcing it every time. Still, decided to bite my tongue. Then the lady brings out her Walmart employee discount card but it is having trouble going through so as the cashier is trying to figure it out I said something like "Oh, you work for Walmart?" to which she replied yes and I left it at that. Cherry on top of the pie/cake/whatever. Straw that broke the camals back. She finished up and left. I got cashed out and went to speak to a manager.

I explained to the manager exactly what happened and told her that the lady was from the South store because I had asked the cashier (cashier used to work at the South store so knew the lady) and that I thought it ridiculous that someone who works for Walmart, who knows the policies well comes and clears the shelf. What about those of us who only wanted a few of them item and/or stick to the 6 rule? So she said she would bring it up to the store manager of this store as well as the store manager from the South store. She also mentioned that she bets the employee cleared the shelves at her South store too and then came up to the North store to do it to us to which I completely agreed with.

Just sad. We all want to save money, especially those of us who are unemployed (me!) nevermind this lady actually having a job. Sigh.
    This thread is currently associated with: Cake Beauty, Walmart
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 10:50 AM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

The cashier should have enforced the store's 6 item policy.

At the time of the transaction, she was a customer. I don't think it matters that she is an employee at another store.

The customer should not have been able to buy more than 6 at that store.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sun, Dec 28th, 2014 at 04:49 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Good thing that you spoke to the manager; hopefully it will reduce the shelf clearing.

Once, a cashier refused to sell my sister items on clearance because of the ridiculous low price, "keep saying it's a price error, can't sell it to her". So she insisted for a price check, no problem, Price check person came back saying it's on clearance price as scanned. Then the cashier wants to limit to 1 per customer (there's only a few special packs on clearance left) so my sister put her foot down and said first come first served, and bought a few packs. Obviously cashier wants to buy that later.
    ROMEO, Anna Michele and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    The cashier should have enforced the store's 6 item policy.

At the time of the transaction, she was a customer. I don't think it matters that she is an employee at another store.

The customer should not have been able to buy more than 6 at that store.
    While I agree that the employee was technically a customer at the time my whole point is how badly it reflects upon Walmart when their own employee will come and clear the shelves proudly while some of us couponers who are given the bad name are the ones playing by the rules.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-yes shelf clearing is unfair I would be ticked to
    -its not just empoyees I saw a customer last week price match about 12 delissio pizza(wrongly) and she got the regular one's not like thin crust in the flyer (i would have said something but I didn't know til i checked the flyer when I got home ) I dont own a cell phone

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    While I agree that the employee was technically a customer at the time my whole point is how badly it reflects upon Walmart when their own employee will come and clear the shelves proudly while some of us couponers who are given the bad name are the ones playing by the rules.
    Good that the front end manager was going to look into your complaint.
    Did you e-mail Walmart head office about this?
    ROMEO and terry2144 like this.

windowwendy
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

that is why I like shopping at no frills. while their stupid $10 worth of coupons requires a supervisor password is a pain, and the price matching rules seem silly it does ensure that there are products on the shelves when I go to do my grocery shopping trip on Mondays.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I don't know if it's just me, but I would have said the limit is 6, and that I was looking for these and that the shelf is cleared..and if they didn't do anything I would have asked for the manager before their transaction went through...

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Cashier or not the rules are there for a reason. I would feel too guilty to do that.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SavvyLady View Post
    I don't know if it's just me, but I would have said the limit is 6, and that I was looking for these and that the shelf is cleared..and if they didn't do anything I would have asked for the manager before their transaction went through...
    In my younger years I would have done it but as I've aged my confrontation skills have gone down. I find myself saying "It just isn't worth the hassle" in regards to a lot of couponing things.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I went to Walmart today for my weekly grocery shop. I went to an aisle to find something on my list only to find that the shelf was empty of them. On the shelf it said limit 6. I got the rest of my items and proceeded to the checkout.

Low and behold in front of me is a lady with 24 of the specific item that was cleared out. This item isn't one that would normally have a lot in stock of because of the small shelf space so it was very obvious that the shelf has been full before she got there. I decided to bite my tongue. Well the cashier didn't say anything despite the fact that they have been cracking down on the 6 rule for a few months now (as well as the other store in our City) and enforcing it every time. Still, decided to bite my tongue. Then the lady brings out her Walmart employee discount card but it is having trouble going through so as the cashier is trying to figure it out I said something like "Oh, you work for Walmart?" to which she replied yes and I left it at that. Cherry on top of the pie/cake/whatever. Straw that broke the camals back. She finished up and left. I got cashed out and went to speak to a manager.

I explained to the manager exactly what happened and told her that the lady was from the South store because I had asked the cashier (cashier used to work at the South store so knew the lady) and that I thought it ridiculous that someone who works for Walmart, who knows the policies well comes and clears the shelf. What about those of us who only wanted a few of them item and/or stick to the 6 rule? So she said she would bring it up to the store manager of this store as well as the store manager from the South store. She also mentioned that she bets the employee cleared the shelves at her South store too and then came up to the North store to do it to us to which I completely agreed with.

Just sad. We all want to save money, especially those of us who are unemployed (me!) nevermind this lady actually having a job. Sigh.

Employees (and spouses of employees) should know better. Not sure I would have kept my mouth shut, knowing there was a limit on it. Cashier should also have known better and said something....in fact, cashiers can be written up for allowing someone to get over the limit set.
    Last edited by ilovecats; Mon, Dec 29th, 2014 at 03:57 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

In my younger years I would have done it but as I've aged my confrontation skills have gone down. I find myself saying "It just isn't worth the hassle" in regards to a lot of couponing things.
    I can agree to what you're saying, we're living in a different time, you don't know how someone will react when confronted. I guess every situation is different..I guess sometimes it's not worth it!
    MillieH and PurpleBunny89 like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by windowwendy View Post
    that is why I like shopping at no frills. while their stupid $10 worth of coupons requires a supervisor password is a pain, and the price matching rules seem silly it does ensure that there are products on the shelves when I go to do my grocery shopping trip on Mondays.
    maybe do multiple transactions with each having up to $10 in coupons

Thread Information