4 (100%)

Name:  01-20-2015.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  71.3 KB
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    DANGER

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I grew up in a very rural area. There were a handful of kids in the community. All we did was play outside- and loved it. My kids rarely played outside. They are so busy on their phones, computers ect. They have friends over or they go to the movies, mall ect. They really should get out more but have no interest in it whatsoever.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

As a kid, I think we spent more time outside than in!
    In the summer, we would be out all of the time - home for supper, maybe. Otherwise, home by the time the city siren went off at 9:30 (of course, that was age-dependent).

It was the late 60s, we were free and it was wonderful. In good weather, we would just take off on our bikes and go. We knew our boundaries, what was safe, and who would help if we needed it.
    In winter, we'd be out on the front street playing hockey, or - yes - skating in the ruts on the street. We'd also go skating to school rinks that were within four to six blocks away.
    There was also a decent sized hill not far from our house, which was great for sleddding.

Our son grew up in the 90s - when he was a pre-schooler, we were in a small city in a townhouse complex and that afforded some good freedoms for him playing with other kids around. We also were a block away from a school playground - and just generally took him out a lot.

When he was four we moved to the Big City, so some changes had to be made, but we still made sure he was out and about. Once he started school, and got into ages 8-10, we gave him a lot of freedom in the neighbourhood - because contrary to what a lot of people believe, there are NOT more child abductions, etc. these days than there ever were. He played with kids on our street, and there was also a school/park a few blocks away, so he'd go there to meet friends. Especially in summer, he'd go to the city playground program there.

And while at home, we had a great backyard and he spent tons of time out there. We had a garden patch in which the soil was crap so once we didn't plant any more, it was his roadway/car place - which he just adored. We also had a huge sandbox, which he spent a lot of playtime in.

Now that he's an adult, he has told us that he's SO very happy we were not helicopter parents!

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I wasn't a very "outdoorsy" kid. Still not a big fan of the outdoors as an adult. lol.

My kids are outside way more than I ever was. They take after their dad. lil

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

timely question Mr. Danger
    we have had cold, windy weather the last week or so
    not a kid out playing on the street--> too cold & they may freeze into an icicle LOL
    back in the day, we would walk to the local skating rink and pay $2 (?) to skate
    walking to the rink meant going through some cold & windy weather
    even with our hats on, I got a little frost bite on the ear
    parents just watched it to make sure it was healing--> no visit to the doctor or the emergency room, as some parents may do today
    the next week, back walking to the skating rink for more exercise & fun
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 09:11 AM.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I didn't like to go outside to play because I had a Wii and was addicted to Mario, also loved watching Dora and Spongebob. The only time I went outside was to watch Pixar movies with Mom and Dad

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

As kids in the summer we'd be gone, usually to the lake a few blocks away and be home in time for dinner...then outside until we knew it was time to go home. In winter we'd be sledding down the big neighbourhood hill (now filled in with trees, lol), or skating on the school rink a few doors away. I guess schools all don't do that anymore.....

We lived on a cul-de-sac with our kids and the street was the place for all the kids to play. And we backed onto a green-belt which became anything the kids' imaginations wanted it to be. We had a pool, and there always seemed to be kids in the yard and snacks to be made...loved it all!

Now? In winter? I hide.

LIVE EVERY MIN. 2 THE MAX 22hicks's Avatar
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I'm like most of you. I lived outside. The house rules, dress, make your bed, eat breakfast, help with the dishes, then we were free till lunch, then again till dinner, and then till curfew. I could type all day listing everything we'd do, but you name it ....
    My kids were the same. My husband flooded the backyard so every1 could skate, play ball hockey, etc. We built snow forts, went on quests, climbed mountains, anything our imaginations could think up.
    The summer was better though. I was really into sports. I swam, played tennis and baseball. We would roller skate up & down the street, play hide & seek ........ My kids did the same.
    When they were about 3 & 5, we bought a cottage, & every1 loved to hike, canoe, swim, fish ..... We had campfires, played board games in the evenings, and go on night walks. We'd lay in the boat @ night, & study the night sky - the stars, constellations, and the milky way. We even saw the Aurora Borealis once. Our kids & grandkids just loved being there, & when we weren't there, we were camping, or portaging somewhere up north. But now, I don't think my grandkids even go outside anymore. They drive to work, & live on their phones & computers.
    Such a shame.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Like most of you I played out side or was bussy doing somethings with my friends. In those days that was the way to live but now with all the gadjet, (phone, Lap-Top ect..) that childrens have today its stop them for enjoying the outdoor. With my son I had rules. So much time for tv and the same for comp. He was always out side so it was easy for us. We always spend the summer to our camp so for him to be out side was just normal. Thank God for the schools, children do get to play out side a few times a day. ........................................

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-yes I played outside all the time -heck my mom told me she stuck me outside in the cold winters-when I was a baby in a pram buggy (Brandon ,Manitoba I was born)and that was very likely cold
    we played baseball on a team as kids
    -stayed out till the street light came on -lol

-as for my kids born in the 80"s they were out a lot-soccor ,baseball ,dundas kite festival and dundas driving park pool-varous playgrounds we would take them too
    -no when my son was a teenager he liked his game systems ,not daughter thou(she even went snow shoeing last weekend in barrie for 4hrs with hubby and friends
    Natalka, 22hicks and danger_dan like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

We were always outside as kids. Always. I have 2 older brothers and was/am such a tomboy so I always hung with them and their friends. Winter meant tobogganing and street hockey with me somehow ALWAYS ending up in net with boys 3 and 6 years older than me lol. You ever had a frozen mylec ball fresh from the snowbank hit you in the leg from a slap shot? Hello welts! Summer meant baseball diamonds and street hockey LATER since it was lighter longer and a welt reprieve with just bruises and red marks. Ahhhhh. The good ole days.
    Last edited by TaraF; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 05:17 PM.
    Natalka, 22hicks, walkonby and 1 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Like many of the ( cough, cough ...over 50, maybe very close to 60 crowd ) our childhoods were void of electronics, outside was all we had really. My parents could never afford to pay for anything organized in the sports category, but I still gravitated to all things sporty ( baseball, skating, swimming, any excuse to run! I loved chasing and being chased! ) with good old fashioned tag, hide 'n seek, and other activities like trying to climb structures we should not mixed in.

Having our 3 kids later in life meant I really had to dig deep to find the energy after work each day to teach them to ride their bikes, go tobogganing, or schlep them to various games, activities. ( DH worked afternoons so it was on me to take them or send them outside )
    The back yard was small but we made the best use of it in all seasons. The age gaps between my kids made a difference too, I would never place the responsibility on my boys to drag their baby sis to anything they were doing, so we all just went out together, possibly splitting up at the park, then went back home together.

I do remember my utter annoyance with the massive influx of VIDEO games and all the time they wasted! Everyone my boys knew either wanted or had one but I refused to purchase anything like that. ( I think all they had was a Gameboy handheld thingy for a short while ) BUT I was slowly outnumbered as DH kinda liked that stuff too....so I just caved when my eldest was maybe 13?? Ugh.... I regret it to this day!
    I do think my kids are more sedentary than DH and I ever were, but that is something they are going to have to come to terms with as they age.
    Last edited by walkonby; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 06:09 PM.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

coupon girl - I was set outside even in winter in my pram, too - don't know if that's a prairie thing or generational.

Like WOB, our son was just entering double digits of age when electronics came - we got him a few handheld games (couldn't have afforded a game system even if we wanted to), and time on them was limited. We also didn't have a computer until we pretty much had to when he was in high school. (and poor him, it was such a basic one, wouldn't do gaming... but it sufficed for school assignments)

What I really like now, is that he and his friends DO outdoor stuff as 20-somethings - they aren't sports-minded, but do sledding, hikes, biking, etc. at least once in a while!

Wish this generation would do more! Or, at least, I hope by the time they have kids they won't let them be tech-zombies, since hopefully they learned from their own inactivity that it wasn't so great.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post

Like WOB, our son was just entering double digits of age when electronics came - we got him a few handheld games (couldn't have afforded a game system even if we wanted to), and time on them was limited. We also didn't have a computer until we pretty much had to when he was in high school. (and poor him, it was such a basic one, wouldn't do gaming... but it sufficed for school assignments)

What I really like now, is that he and his friends DO outdoor stuff as 20-somethings - they aren't sports-minded, but do sledding, hikes, biking, etc. at least once in a while!

The whole gaming thing was like fighting an invasion Natalka! The boys hated that I denied them what they wanted, and they laugh at me to this day because I called it all the DEVIL at the time!! We were the same, we only got a computer to help them with school, but if I only knew......it always needs to be revised with the next fastest add on and I was silly/naive thinking I bought one and thought o.k. that is all we have to buy! lol!!
    Natalka, 22hicks and danger_dan like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Growing up I spent many hours outside. Riding my bike to friends homes, swimming, climbing, and playing in fields (which are now filled with houses). I would come home for dinner and venture out again. During the school year I usually stayed in most evenings. Weekends and summer holidays were spent outside. Back then we didn't have computers, wii's etc.

I don't have children. If I did, I would hope they would play outside in the fresh air. Stranger and other dangers have increased, so I would be watching where they go, teach them safety, and have certain restrictions.
    Last edited by toban; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 07:08 PM.
    Natalka and danger_dan like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information