User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Elderly Cornwall man married 54 yrs Pawns wedding ring to buy groceries

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

Expired on: Thu, Nov 26th, 2015
    I don't know where to post this. please move as necessary

The incident occurred in Cornwall, Ont., where officers were recently called to a home on a suspected domestic violence incident and instead found an elderly man and his sick wife struggling so much to makes ends meet that he had pawned his wedding ring.
    The officers responded by collecting money to purchase the couple some groceries and buy the husband’s ring back.
    The story, which has since been picked up by international media, was first reported in the Cornwall Seaway News.
    The couple has been married for 54 years and, with his wife suffering Alzheimer’s, the husband was having trouble putting food on the table.
    He sold several household items and eventually had to part ways with his wedding ring.
    It was surely a tough decision. Which is why it was so heartening to learn that the officers called to the domestic disturbance collected $150 to buy groceries for the couple and another $130 – enough to buy the wedding ring back from the pawn shop and return it to the husband.
    The moment went unnoticed, publicly at least, until a local councillor commended them during a council session this week.
    "This really shows that our officers have a heart," said Coun. Andre Rivette, according to the Seaway News.
    And the kicker? The officers involved do not want a stitch of personal attention.

According to the Hamilton Spectator, those involved have declined to be recognized.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Quite the story! Wonder who & why a domestic violence call was made.....

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

There must be couponers nearby who could leave some food on their doorstep.. Violence is often a part of alzheimers unfortunately.. the wife was probably upset his ring was gone..
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

That's so sad. I hope they will be getting long term help.
    The best things in life...aren't things

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MillieH View Post
    There must be couponers nearby who could leave some food on their doorstep.. Violence is often a part of alzheimers unfortunately.. the wife was probably upset his ring was gone..
    Having dealt with Alzheimers directly sometimes it is not the sufferer of the disease that is violent many times caregivers have no coping skills. The husband being of a generation that views mental illness in a different way than that of today's generation it may be the case in this instance. It's all very sad and a statement about our society in that we do not know how to deal with this growing problem. It's epidemic.

Very happy the police could help out but what about long term? The woman may need placement.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

What a nice story, and so kind of the officers!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm so glad the officers stepped in to help the couple. I hope the couple will have some supports put in place or an agency steps forward to help them in the long term.

I agree with Patty. At my former home, a elderly neighbour down the street, had a wife with alzheimers. They also had home care come in. Apparently he would become agitated and hit his wife when she had her moments. After many complaints she was placed in a facility. Nobody likes to see someone placed but for her safety it was needed.
    Last edited by toban; Sat, Jan 31st, 2015 at 03:45 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SharonMe View Post
    That's so sad. I hope they will be getting long term help.
    another part of the story in the Ottawa Citizen said the officers contacted the Alzheimer’s Society and the Community Care Access Centre to get help for the couple

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Hoping they get long term help and how nice of the police to step in and help.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

What a touching story! I'm glad they've been referred for help. Who knows what happened. Caregivers can get overwhelmed but those with this disease can be quite irrational. When I was a psw I had some good ducking skills and avoided a couple of punches. It's such a sad thing.
    ROMEO, avoncallingu and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    another part of the story in the Ottawa Citizen said the officers contacted the Alzheimer’s Society and the Community Care Access Centre to get help for the couple
    Unfortunately, in our area, I'm not sure if it is across Ontario, CCAC workers went on strike today. I support unions but I was worried about people like these folks who would "slip through the cracks" until the strike is over. Hope some neighbours can help!
    ROMEO, Lynn49 and ticul like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Great story! I know personally that Cornwall Ontario often gets a bad rap, but there are some great people there. In fact, Cornwall supports the Children's Treatment Center for children and their families who have suffered from abuse. People come from all around Eastern Ontario to go to the Center and get help, but the Center does not get ANY government funding. The people of Cornwall and area fully support it themselves, along with other sponsors.
    ROMEO, Lynn49 and ticul like this.
    Check out my new life blog.
    https://plus.google.com/114910790929192660665/posts
    I will be posting on it once a week. Hopefully it will provide you with a hint or two that you can translate to your own life, to make it better. Mine keeps getting better every day!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Awwwwwwwwwwww, a sad/good story. It is very sad but that is the reallity. They need financial help and support at home for the sick one. Lots of them dont have family members to help them wich makes them more vulnable. Hope with this story that this will bring some positive change and have more help for them. We are lucky, that could be any of us. We are bless. Thank you so much for sharing this story. Stories like this make me appreciate/greatful for my life................
    ROMEO, Lynn49 and TooCouponCrazy like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

sad story, glad that someone was able to step in and lend a helping hand, kudos to the officers for raising the funds and raising awareness that these things happen in our own back yard sadly
    ROMEO likes this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's quite a sad story, how come the government doesn't help them?
    ROMEO likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information