User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

most of it is junk food tho, i don't use so many of the coupons i see because they are for unhealthy choices
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Grateful for the savings
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Does anyone know why it is that the U.S. has such better coupons? Living in Windsor-area, I make the occasional trip across the border and am also continuously exposed to sales and prices there through advertisements, and can't wrap my head around why it is that their prices are lower, but the coupon amounts are greater.

For instance, let's say that a box of cereal sells here for $4.00; we'll probably be able to find a coupon for $0.50 off in Canada. In the U.S., the same box will sell for $2.50, and the coupon will be for $1.00 off, at a mimimum. Then, you go on double-coupon day and you get twice the deduction, so you get the product for $0.50.

It just would make far more sense if the country where the cost is greater to the consumer offered the deeper discount. Odd.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Sass View Post
    Does anyone know why it is that the U.S. has such better coupons? Living in Windsor-area, I make the occasional trip across the border and am also continuously exposed to sales and prices there through advertisements, and can't wrap my head around why it is that their prices are lower, but the coupon amounts are greater.

For instance, let's say that a box of cereal sells here for $4.00; we'll probably be able to find a coupon for $0.50 off in Canada. In the U.S., the same box will sell for $2.50, and the coupon will be for $1.00 off, at a mimimum. Then, you go on double-coupon day and you get twice the deduction, so you get the product for $0.50.

It just would make far more sense if the country where the cost is greater to the consumer offered the deeper discount. Odd.
    I think it's because of the larger population. Not entirely sure on this though. There's...just way more people, which means way more competition.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

It's supply and demand; the US has 2 growing seasons due to the milder climate, fertile agricultural areas growing a super-abundance of fruits, vegetables, grains and numerous products that we cannot grow here in Canada.

They have to entice customers with coupons and deals, because they have such an abundance of supply in the USA. They are also used to a much higher quality of living, because of the abundance in their country.
    They eat more, use more products; it's a mentality, not a necessity.
    Americans are the ultimate consumers on the planet.

For example: consider the pioneers of Canada compared to the pioneers of the USA. Grandpa & Grandma coming over to Canada from "the old country", and making do with a rhubarb plant and/or a crabapple tree in the garden for the year's fruit supply. At the same time, the American pioneers have all the wild foraging plants, fruits, vegetables, nuts...you name it.
    Personally, I've never shopped in the US, but then again, I don't shop too much here in Canada either, because of my finances--until this past year, when I learned about SHOPPING WITH COUPONS.
    Last edited by Valiant; Thu, Nov 26th, 2009 at 12:47 AM.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I agree with you guys on the US is cheaper I just moved to Canada 1 year ago at the begining was kind of hard for me but now appreciate the quality of Canada produce and dairy

1. on the US you pay for taxes on food 6% on Georgia, Canada no tax on food

2. Milk in Canada does not have RSBT and the US does

the quality on the meat on Canada at my jugdement is better than US

but yes you get a lot of coupons on US almost 3 times a week and It's worth it but me quality is better!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    49 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jopava View Post
    I agree with you guys on the US is cheaper I just moved to Canada 1 year ago at the begining was kind of hard for me but now appreciate the quality of Canada produce and dairy

but yes you get a lot of coupons on US almost 3 times a week and It's worth it but me quality is better!!
    just wanted to know what is RSBT???

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabina View Post
    just wanted to know what is RSBT???
    Was thinking the same, just googled it - its a growth hormone banned in Canada but widely used in the US http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_somatotropin

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i wouldn't be too jealous, unless you are the type of person who feeds their family junk food and a lot of processed foods.
    there aren't usually coupons for fresh, healthy fruits and veggies, or seafood that isn't farmed and full of toxins.

when the unhealthy eating catches up with you, and you're ill, think about what those american insurance companies will do to you! hehe.
    Last edited by anisa; Sat, Nov 28th, 2009 at 03:16 PM.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    i wouldn't be too jealous, unless you are the type of person who feeds their family junk food and a lot of processed foods.
    there aren't usually coupons for fresh, healthy fruits and veggies, or seafood that isn't farmed and full of toxins.

when the unhealthy eating catches up with you, and you're ill, think about what those american insurance companies will do to you! hehe.
    my thoughts exactly LOL

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

united states have ALOTT of high value coupons available and lots of places to find them too.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jopava View Post

I recall buying milk from US some time ago given it was so much cheaper than buying it here (had a friend pick it up for me when she'd go over); when talking to another friend he pointed exactly that out to me....the fact that the regulations were so much more different in US re: milk and RSBT. So don't mind getting my milk here and paying a bit more now....mind you I noticed price of milk has gone down in grocery stores some time ago likely to compete with the price of it at some stores like SDM and Giant Tiger.
    You are also right about the taxes, that could make a bit of a difference but I don't know as I don't shop in US. I am left with the impression though that there are some great deals (sale-wise with or without coupons) to be had on grocery items in US (Michigan specifically, as I'm closest to it).

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

When we were truckers we bought our groceries at Wallyworld. I have to say we spent about $60.00 a week for two of us and that include our paper and plastic throw away stuff. I say we had a BBQ, coffee maker, Microwave, slow cooker and of course a coleman plugin cooler. As you can see we had lot in our truck. Here is what I found fresh meat from stores went bad quicker then Canadian meat, Milk never made it to the expiry date( when we bought Canadian Milk it did), I found there was levels to there food quality. Veggies are cheaper in THe USA then in Canada but then again they are not paying duty and broke, higher fuel surcharge tax on the veggies like we do. Trust me the higher amount of our food here comes from trucking it in and governement/brokes adding fees to the load. We hauled meat and veggies mostly I've seen bills and fees and lets face it our Grocery chains know they can charge whatever they want because we might complain about the price but what are most of going to do put a cow in the back yard?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information