User Tag List

Sleep Deprived
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I am hoping a SC here would have the answer to this.
    I went into the Bay's Lancome counter today to exchange two items that I got for Christmas. Since I didn't have a receipt for them, I was OK with them not giving me the full price value on the products. I was also OK with it when they asked to look at my driver's license. I understand that it is a theft prevention measure. The SA took down my name and address from the DL, but then she also wrote down the DL# AND my Bday. The last part I am not happy about as now someone has info that can potentially be used fraudulently. Isn't it enough that they have my name and address? Why do they need the last two pieces of info? How is the info going to be stored? Who will be looking at that info? Are they even legally allowed to take ALL that info?
    This thread is currently associated with: The Bay

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Hm, you'd have to look into their specific privacy policy, I suppose. I think it's odd too that she wrote down the drivers' license number.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

actually we are required to write down a photo id number...its policy at the bay when doing returns without proof of purchase...I've wondered if it was legal or not..
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    176 (99%)

I can't say for sure because you're on the west coast. I do know that when I worked in retail from 2005-2008 if a customer refused to provide any information when they made a return, we were not allowed to force the issue.

In fact, we actually had to type in "privacy policy" on any returns where the customer refused to provide the info.

I haven't ever heard of any retailer requesting a copy of a drivers license. That sounds really crazy.
    Andrea
    My Blog: http://andreasfitness.blogspot.com

I joined Swagbucks and made $25 in 3 weeks! Its so easy! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rhiannon1891

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

When you return items without a receipt, some stores have strict policies like that. I know at WM I have been asked for my driver's license before, but other times nothing. I guess they keep track of this stuff for inventory purchases and to make sure the same person doesn't return stuff 1000xx times a year.

eri
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

It is not illegal for them to ask but you have no legal obligation to consent to give them that information. However, if you want your refund you may have to do it (it's a catch-22 really)...There aren't any umbrella legislative pieces that affect private companies like public organizations who are regulated by FIPPA (Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act) [I work in Records Management]

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

The only problem is, without a receipt they don't need to honour a refund.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I don't think that your DL number is really all that useful to anyone except for the Registry of Motor Vehicles. Since I'm not a criminal sort, I don't know what they could do with it - but I do know that if if someone were trying to get another license with just the number, they couldn't do anything like that without providing more ID.

Besides, if they have your name and DOB, they have most of your master number anyhow.

Z

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Its typical and I do not think against the law in any way. As someone else mentioned without a receipt they cannot return it for you without ID. They keep track of it for fraud prevention at the dept stores that I know for sure.
    My sister works for that cosmetics company and hears of people in the dept store fired all the time and charged with fraud. They get free products every few months and then have a family friend try to return it at the store to get cash back. They keep track of the returns and if suspicious they investigate. So if they see you in a yr return 20 Lancome products without receipts they question it and start tracking a relationship.
    Hope that helps. In the end it is up to you to give the info or not. But then you would be losing out on the money

Thread Information