User Tag List

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My auto insurance is up for renewal and I noticed that Scotia bank auto insurance has a better coverage policy ($0 deductible) for $300 cheaper than my current.

I don't know anyone with Scotia Bank auto insurance, does anyone have auto insurance with them? What are they like to deal with? Don't want to make a mistake of changing insurance companies to save the money if it's not worth the hassle. Although I feel like im getting ripped off by my current insurance company after a recently claim when my car was broken into and vandalized, got a really low blow.

The repair charges were more than the value of the car, But they gave me less than the value, and less than what the repairs cost.

DH friend on the other hand who stupidly smacked into something by being careless was given the full repair amount to fix his car from his insurance company.

As I read upon most companies will give you the FULL repair cost, or if the repair cost are more than the cars value they give you the cars value.

In my case they came up short $2,000So in the end I have to pocket out $2,000+ the normal $100 deducible in addition to the amount they are giving me to repair what someone ELSE did.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by POWERADE; Mon, Apr 12th, 2010 at 07:27 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    242 (100%)

I'm not sure where you live but have you tried Canadian Direct Insurance? We were paying $369 a month for car insurance with a $1,000 deductible. That was for 2 individuals, brand new vehicle, clean records, not even a speeding or parking ticket. We checked with Canadian Direct Insurance and we are now paying $187 with a $250 deductible and you don't have to pay first and last. It's just a $20 one time yearly fee for admin costs.

Anywho... I really like Canadian Direct Insurance. It's all online, great customer service and we've been with them almost 3 years now. I think they are only in some provinces though.

EDIT: We were both under 25 at renewal so it's higher than most
    Last edited by danam314; Wed, Apr 14th, 2010 at 11:56 AM.
    Coupons = Little pieces of paper you get FREE from the stores, from reps and from companies (ie: Not gold)

Trading Score
    115 (100%)

We are with RBC insurance and they are pretty good. They were significantly cheaper then our other insurance company. We pay $92.00/month for our Montana Van and $40.32 for home insurance.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

We are with The Personal, and pay 95.xx$/month for a 2009 Elantra, and 80$/year for tenants insurance (we live in military housing, so it may be different for other renters, as well as owners).

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Auto Insurance premium rates can vary, as it depends on -
    1. The city & Volume of traffic in your area.
    2. Safety features of your vehicle.
    3. Drivers age & driving history (no of accidents, tickets, violations).
    4. Value of the vehicle, & deductible amount.
    5. Previous year claims experience of your insurance company (if they paid more claims than total premiums received, then for everybody the rate goes up for). Similarly, if the claims paid is less then the premium stays the same.
    Its always good to shop around, there are several companies competing for your business.
    Good Luck.
    Ash

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I totally recommend shopping around, I'm with State Farm and pay $87.XX per month and my house insurance is $50! And I am anal about making sure I am "fully covered" ie. full replacement value on both car and house, 5 mill comp on the car and 20 mill on comp on the house - both deductibles are $1000 as I figure that if any damage that is less than that I would rather pay out of pocket.
    Tho when I was shopping around (I do it yearly to make sure I am getting good rates) every other firm was comparable to within about $10 (yearly) so really for me to save $10 a year it is more of a pain to take the time off of work to switch companies. I should mention that CDI was very good to deal with (for quotes) and they were a contender for my business

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I used to be with People about 7-8 years ago. My friend (at the time) and her boyfriend were in a bad accident. The fire department has to use the jaw's of life to extract him from the vehicule. What she went through with her insurance was horrible. She never dealt with the same person. It was just so bad that it prompted me to switch. We went with Co-Operators and have never looked back. I'm pretty sure there are cheaper out there, but they have never been anything but fantastic. When I make a claim, I deal with the same person. They walk me through the steps, go out of their way to help. One claim, the other guy's insurance had been cancelled for nonpayment. They helped me go through the court and everything. To me, having that kind of service when I am stressed is worth the extra few bucks a month.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

In this month's "Today's Parent" there is actually an article about shopping around for car & house insurance. It's only 1 page long, but is very informative and also states as Eeyah said, pay a little more for your deductible and you're likely going to pay less per month.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh! Just remembered that last week on Marketplace they did an "exposee" on insurance companies, and how in some provinces they are now charging people rates based on there credit rating! GASP! Check it out it was really informative....So I posted the link BUT I forgot that the article was more about house insurance rather than vehicle.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2010/r...rage/main.html

Thread Information