User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    87 (100%)

wow! that's so expensive! you can also look at bluenile.ca, maybe you can find something there that matches your engagement ring.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I think what it comes down to is:

How much value you put on your ring, the emotional value, the look of the ring (does it fit with your everyday life?)

Next, in your case, whether you can live with the gap, or not.

If you can't, then you have to find ways in which to cut expenses elsewhere so you can have the ring that you would prefer!

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Though I find $1000-$2000 very expensive for a wedding band if it means that you will be extremely happy with it since you won't have the gap that you would with a regular band then I say pay that amount however if you think that you may be upgrading your rings in the future and the gap won't bother you then I would go with a regular band....we just got married in '07 and we wanted plain gold bands so they only cost us about $500 for both.

As for wedding ideas I LOVED planning our wedding and I made up a wedding binder to keep track of everything (budget, colors, gifts, invites, etc....) which was a blessing for me!! You can very easily make up your own just by searching online and then using a regular binder, dividers, page protectors, etc...it will help you keep all your receipts in one spot plus if you see things you like while out somewhere you can take a pic and post it in your binder.

Oh as for invites we bought them at Michaels using the 40% coupons (my veil also came from there and I just added to it)
    Last edited by Lilyana'sMommy; Tue, May 4th, 2010 at 04:30 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I have absolutely decided to go with a simple band with the gap. My DH (to-be) had today off so we went around to look at cakes, researched photographers and make the appt for the flowers and OMG!!!!!!! I can't afford anything more than a simple band! In the end I have to ask myself, "what is really important?" It is my wonderful partner and two beautiful kids and to celebrate mommy & daddy getting married...so who cares about the ring- right?
    So yes, in conclusion......$2000.00 is WAY TOO MUCH!

I think I should post a final budget once the ink has dried to inspire any other SC'ers who want to do a wedding on a budget.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

BTW, Superstore did our wedding flowers too and did a fabulous job for not a lot of money!

Good luck!

Z

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    BTW, Superstore did our wedding flowers too and did a fabulous job for not a lot of money!

Good luck!

Z
    That's what we are doing too! My fiance works for Thrifty Foods (Sobey's) and are having them to the cake. I am really disappointed that they don't offer any type of credit towards or employee discount if you are getting married (as a gift). We are meeting with the cake decorator & florist on Monday. So far we figure that the cake with cost us 200.00- I hope that's not too expensive considering I am doing all the final touches myself!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    197 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    In my opinion, you can't really spend too much. You have to wear it every day for the rest of your life. Splurge on it. You want to be happy with it. And don't forget to add your rings to your insurance policy.

The other place I say splurge is the photos. Cut costs in the other expenses. We did an afternoon buffet cause it was so much cheaper than an evening affair!
    I agree about the photos - I had a (former) friend do mine and ended up quite disappointed with the end result.

My sister got married on a Wednesday at the end of December. Although I don't know if it actually was that much cheaper, it was easier to get a date.

I had a buffet at my wedding which was a bit cheaper...in the end, we wanted the reception to be a party and that's what we did! Good luck!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I think that the starting price quoted for a custom band seems high, we start our custom work at $500. The twist should add a bit to the cost and if you have 18 or 24k gold that would add too. If you want diamonds it would also add. It really depends on what you want. How long ago did you get engaged? It seems odd that the band is discontinued already. There may be a jeweler out there that still has one in stock in the display. And if it is discontinued then it may be marked down. Do you still have the receipt from you e-ring with the product code on it?

I do agree with one of the other posters regarding photos. If they are important to you DO NOT cut costs! It they are not that high on your priority list then by all means go ahead & have a friend or family member do them, or a photographer just starting that needs to get their name out there and build a portfolio. The photography was the second biggest expense in my wedding and I don't regret that for a second. They were so important to me. My sister (to save money) hired a photographer that was cheaper because she was just starting out, had only done a few weddings, and my sister can barely stand looking at her photos even two years later.
    Last edited by kaibren; Thu, May 6th, 2010 at 02:32 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

The amount that you pay for a ring really depends on the person and what you want on the ring. Generally speaking, plain gold bands will be much cheaper than those with diamonds.

My fiance and I do not agree on who to get for our photographer. I really do think that you sometimes get what you pay for. From what I have found in Saskatoon, I am figuring that about 1,000 for the day is pretty reasonable. My fiance does not agree...even though I have found many places that charge $3,000 on average. I view wedding pictures as being an important part of wedding memories for years to come.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

got a bit of a surpirse after the wedding when got gown cleaned, that is very expensive.. had no idea just keep it in mind if you are thinking of either selling or keeping it boxed up (even more money for that).

ended up finding a museum site that recommended a linen bag to cover the dress instead of the fancy box with expensive tissue paper, worth googling storage of whatever material your dress is when the times comes
    congrats

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

May be it is too much to pay $2000 for band....

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kasha100 View Post
    got a bit of a surpirse after the wedding when got gown cleaned, that is very expensive.. had no idea just keep it in mind if you are thinking of either selling or keeping it boxed up (even more money for that).

ended up finding a museum site that recommended a linen bag to cover the dress instead of the fancy box with expensive tissue paper, worth googling storage of whatever material your dress is when the times comes
    congrats
    Thank you for the feedback....I am looking into renting the gown so I should find out if I need to have it cleaned afterwards.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Okay so here is the rundown so far......

Photography student- FREE (her work is AWESOME)
    Hair & Make-up- $20/ person make-up, hair not sure, but mobile. Providing discount rate for cross-marketing on website with photographer
    DJ- sound equipment & operator FREE (we have to provide mix CD w/instructions)
    Cake- possibly FREE
    Church- our home church FREE
    Dress- rented or my sisters...which would be FREE
    DH (2B) ring- 177.00
    Food & Wine- Parents FREE (I hope/think)
    Decorations- Cousin just got married....FREE
    Reception Venue- parent's backyard FREE, or Hall 175.00
    My Band- MAX 350.00 no longer going custom

I can't believe how family & friends have come out to help us! We TRULY are not in a position to afford a wedding and it is all coming together. Some would say "why are they getting married if they can't afford it!" But if you knew the obstacles we have overcome to get where we today you would understand. I am starting to feel like a blushing/glowing bride

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

I got married 7 years ago and we both got the same wedding band yellow gold in the middle and white on the edges for 400$ each. Unfortunately my hubby lost is last year and the replacement cost for it today would be almost double the price because of price of gold... Same thing happen to my father in law but he and my MIL gathered up some old gold jewlery she was not using any more and got the replacement ring at the cost of labor ( 200$ i think). I also don't wear my wedding ring and e-ring on the same hand... so no problem matching them together lol.

Good luck and remember to take a few minutes to take it all in...

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

So yes I started this thread A LONG TIME AGO however I thought that I would recap for all you future brides on where I saved and where I got a big fat "F" on saving money. Firstly let me say that planning a backyard wedding did not save us any money (maybe $400.00 and a whole lot of headaches) We ended up going with a venue with a cash bar and therefore the cost was comparable after considering all the rental fees of tents, chairs, tables, dinnerware etc ........ about 3500.00
    Saved money on
    dress (bought at a small consignment boutique) $400.00
    centerpieces, lanterns, decorations- craigslist and michael's clearance
    flowers, went minimal cost $285
    hair, make up, nails- totally would have forgone artificial nails for a nice manicure- what a waste!
    gifts for the bridal party & "helpers"- we spent more money on thank you gifts than I did on my wedding dress. Think about these gifts carefully instead of buying impulsively. A nice gift basket with all your cheap finds would be sufficient.
    cupcakes instead of a wedding cake - FREE and they were a hit
    granny smith apples instead of flower centerpieces - FREE (from supplier written off, damaged case)
    Oh and my greatest find- my DH who is a true blessing (cheezy I know)

Goodluck to all you future brides. You can do it if you on a budget if you try.

Know that all the chaos of the wedding is done I realized ALL MY COUPONS ARE EXPIRED, so it's time to start the process of recollecting again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information