User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm a lurker But I had to come and ask if you guys had recommendations for the best banks to deal with particularly regarding monthly feeds? My bank just charged me $27 in service fees because I bought a whole bunch of little things with my bank card instead of pulling cash and using it (duh). And I'm really annoyed at that. It's my money so why should I pay so much! The guy I called suggested I get the one that costs $13 a month but that's still too much imo! That adds up quickly! I know PC Financial has a free chequing account and I love them but I find them hard to deal with when I'm in a remote location. <sigh> And my credit score isn't great (but improving ) so some credit unions just won't deal with me. <big sighs> what to do?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thankfully my Mom worked for Scotiabank for 25 years before retiring. One of the perks she got to keep was the "employee no fee banking" privilege. She was able to use it on 3 accounts. She used it on her main account with them, my account, and my sister's account. I have never paid any kind of fee to Scotiabank and it's saving my a fortune from the sounds of what some people are paying. Since then, Scotiabank no longer offers this perk to current employees.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

we pay $12 a month at TD and I think it's unlimited transactions, I know you can get it lower if you have limited transactions
    I pay $7 a month at ScotiaBank but am limited to 25 transactions I think?
    We normally pull cash out once a week and try to make that stretch, especially if you're buying a lot of small stuff.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think $12 for unlimited is pretty standard with the top five. VanCity does unlimited for $7 but I haven't heard back yet.

Does anyone know if there are other banks other than PC Financial?

Sounds like you got a good deal Mulock

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

We have a Scotia Bank chequing account-must keep a $1500 balance and 15 free transactions a month-It works for us-I refuse to pay bank fees!!

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

RBC is the best in my eyes. I have never dealt with any other bank. I pay 0$ fees a year unless go over the set amount (but they set it at ridiculous amounts). I highly discourage going with TD. Ive known at least 10 people who have been screwed over by them. They have ridiculous fees and lets says take money when they want. Also, if you have poor credit or no credit they wont give you a credit card or loans for ages. My friend who has a steady income and always has over $1000 in her account and doesnt have any loans and decent credit cant get a credit card from them. Ive neve rhad an issue with RBC.

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

But you also have to show them your improving your score. I highly recommend opening an account with whatever bank and put so much in and dont touch it but put x number in each month. It adds up and shows your will power. I do this which is how I have amasing credit at 21. I keep at least $1000 in my main account at RBC. I currently have an account with the local credit union with my savings. Which in the next few months will be opening 3 more for a house fund, retirement fund, and emergency fund. This way if I need something and dont have the money I can always turn to this. I also paid back my loans (student) in full which looks way better if you pay loans faster. At 18 I got a credit card with no questions asked. Also, pay off your credit card to the max. I mean dont just pay the min. on it pay as much as possible which looks good as well.

Couponing Princess!
    Trading Score
    284 (100%)

Royal Bank of Canada
    Add me on twitter and I'll add you back! Just mention you are from SC!

@hoppmichelle

Trading Score
    58 (98%)

My sister loves PC financial.. DO NOT go with TD. They have screwed me over so much this month it isn't even funny anymore,seriously.

First my bank account got broken into. Then I had to go there get a new pin and card and before that i had to file the report thingy on the phone.Best of all they will not tell you whom broke into your bank account,ever. They did it to my parents twice as well.One of the times my dad forgot his card in the machine for like 30 secs(and they have cameras there) he stole $500 from them and they never got it back because someone called from the bank saying oh ya we have a picture of him and then he goes there and they lie saying they don't have a picture of him.

Then i forgot to change my easyweb password and had to go back. Next the last few days i haven't been able to make transfers for some reason, i hadn't had the chance to call easyline yet but luckilly it was working lastnight. Now today i get a thing in the mail saying i owe like $140 on my tfsa when i did not ever have 15,000 in that account like they claim.what a joke.
    Last edited by kris10; Thu, Jun 10th, 2010 at 01:49 PM.
    https://legerweb.com/VADJC Join Leger Web And Start Earning Today =)

34591328S1 Sign Up at ING Direct With This ORange Key To Receive Free $50

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

best capital one credit cards Canada are just about carrying out a serious business plan. Obviously they want to attract fun, spirited customers. This Guaranteed MasterCard Credit Card is designed to help anyone new to Canada or trying to establish their Canadian credit score. Of course, it will help newcomers who might be dealing with a new currency, but long time residents trying to rebuild their credit might also appreciate it.
    There is a slightly higher variable Annual Percentage Rate which is what you might expect from a card designed for this purpose. There is also a surprisingly low annual fee which you might easily forget about while using this convenient Guaranteed Canadian credit card at any of the millions of MasterCard merchants around the world.
    Last edited by richelleM; Tue, Jun 29th, 2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: forgot something

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

PC Financial is the ultimate in banking. NO FEE (that is what everyone is looking for).
    walk into any Loblaw's or Superstore & have one account with Presidents Choice Financial,
    even if you do not intend to use, it makes sense to open the account.
    Because, lets say if PC Financial decides to change the fee structure, than all existing accounts will be unaffected.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Sharajj, I use PCF too - if you are in a remote location, ATMs and online banking are probably what you use most frequently, and PCF is free to use with CIBC ATMs, in addition to their own ATMs at Loblaws, et al.

As one of the Big Five, CIBC has ATMs all over the place - so if there are any of those close(r) to you, that might be a decent option for you.

I also use ING, but only for money I don't need (or want) to touch, because it's not as easy to get at. You can move your money easily via online or phone banking, but it takes a business day or two to get it from the ING account to wherever you're moving it to in order to physically withdraw it.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    87 (100%)

when you open a savings account at pc financial, do they automatically give you the mastercard or do you have to apply for that one too separately?

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mjaas View Post
    when you open a savings account at pc financial, do they automatically give you the mastercard or do you have to apply for that one too separately?
    You have to apply for the MasterCard separately. Bank accounts and credit card accounts are separate entities.
    At the right time, a kind word from a stranger, or encouragement from a friend, can make all the difference in the world. Kindness is free, but it's priceless. ~ Doe Zantamata

"And it's always the right time!" ~ Woofy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    87 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Woofy View Post
    You have to apply for the MasterCard separately. Bank accounts and credit card accounts are separate entities.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information