User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

we live in Hamilton and for the first time in our 6yrs in this house we seem to have at least 1 of these little monsters run somewhere each evening. Our neighbor across the street has the same problem. We have looked on the net and done everything non chemical we can find . But they still come back.
    I personally really hate them and my husband is the official bug killer, but I would prefer they were just gone gone gone.
    I wondered if it is just a bad year for them, maybe the extra hot weather?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Back online & catching up kdoucette's Avatar
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Do you have lots of cats around? I hear they like cat poop!

Proud Mom to two boys!!

rita heyworth
    90 toes too many

Pretty.In.Punk
    Quote Originally Posted by rita heyworth View Post
    90 toes too many

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

i like the little crazy dude!

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We have 2 cats and clean their clumpable litter every day, haven't seen them around there though.
    Both the neighbor and I get them in the flipping living room...she thought they might be coming from her fireplace and sealed it up...we don't have a fire place.
    the crazy guy is cute Rita!
    any other ideas??? cause I really hate the little monsters, and moving isn't an option even though I thought of it in the middle of the night chasing one.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Some info from a website I found:

Control

Getting rid of centipedes can be very difficult. They breed under foundations and in moist leaf litter where it is not easy to reach them. Adults can move up into buildings via small cracks in the foundation as they search for prey. Once exposed inside a building they must quickly return to a humid habitat to avoid desiccation. Since their search image is probably moving prey, they are not likely to feed on baits.
    This means that setting out sticky traps is probably the best first line of defense. These traps will not only attract and capture centipedes but will strongly indicate population levels and potential routes of access. Experience shows that traps placed at floor level in moist areas do best. Traps do have to be kept fresh because it takes a good sticky trap to hold the larger species of centipede.
    The use of pesticides as either an outside perimeter spray or as an interior perimeter spray will only have minimal effect. The centipedes will still travel for a time and the sight of a dead centipede on the floor or trapped in a bathtub is not much better than seeing a fast one flee to safety at night. Dead centipedes that accumulate inside a building will serve as a food source for carpet beetles and other urban pests. Therefore it is really best to capture specimens, reduce moisture and seal out routes of entry.
    Reducing moisture under the foundation will help to control centipedes. Make sure that water accumulated from roof top areas is drained well away from the building foundation. For the same reason keep leaves, wood, compost and other organic material away from the side of the building.
    Occasionally centipedes are carried directly into a facility along with the delivery of potted plants and other material. As the soil dries out, the centipedes are forced out into the building looking for prey and a humid habitat. In this case it is important to screen and identify temporary sources of infestation so that control can be focused on the source.
    Last edited by kdoucette; Fri, Aug 3rd, 2007 at 06:40 PM. Reason: got rid of gobbledygook from cutting and pasting

Proud Mom to two boys!!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Proud Mom to two boys!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kdoucette View Post
    Some info from a website I found:

Traps do have to be kept fresh because it takes a good sticky trap to hold the larger species of centipede.
    that sentance gave me the heebie jeebies! i once was trapped in a cold celler for 20 minutes by a centipede! stepping on them works well though if you can get up the nerve!

bcteagirl
    This whole thread gave me the heebie jeebies!!

Julie Andrews
    Quote Originally Posted by kdoucette View Post
    Too funny!

rita heyworth
    Quote Originally Posted by bejaap View Post
    We have 2 cats and clean their clumpable litter every day, haven't seen them around there though.
    Both the neighbor and I get them in the flipping living room...she thought they might be coming from her fireplace and sealed it up...we don't have a fire place.
    the crazy guy is cute Rita!
    any other ideas??? cause I really hate the little monsters, and moving isn't an option even though I thought of it in the middle of the night chasing one.
    With bugs that move fast yet seem larger than a tour bus, I always throw large objects, like phone books.

When you finally have the courage to dispose of the exoskeleton, simply lift book and tear off page. No need to touch the dessicated body.

If by the end of the week, you only have half your Yellow Pages left, then you know it's time to leave!

Busy Bee
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Im not fond of these things either.Ugh!Hope you got rid of them somehow.

Be a little kinder than necessary,remember everyone is fighting their own battles.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

THANX everyone the comic releif helped to, but with a little brain storming we think it might be from the badly kept house next door. So I guess its time to say something.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The thing to remember about house centipedes is that the most trouble they will cause is psychological discomfort.

Having them is actually a good thing - since they are predators, they will eliminate any other pests you may have lurking about, including spiders - a favourite treat of centipedes.

From my web research, there are no known cases of anyone having been bitten or suffering reactions by these arthropods. They are nocturnal hunters and prefer dark, damp areas - humid weather will bring them out.

In a dwelling, the best way to control pests is to eliminate their food source. As the centipedes eat their way through the population of other bugs that may be hiding in your house, the centipede numbers will drop as well. They are highly active and need to feed frequently, so a shortage of food to them will cause them to die off rather soon or move elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

(P.S. - I'm actually rather fond of the little monsters. )

Linux Registered User #426194

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information