User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Standard contract clause for most unions regarding stat. holidays that fall on weekends is to get the following business day off for the holiday i.e. New Year's Day. Applicable to federal, provincial and municipal jurisdictions.
    Hence, that is also why many municipalities are opening their City Halls today.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Yeah my Father was explaining this to me this Morning. I still think its BS.. funny how CCTB, CPP, Social Assistance can be deposited before the holidays but EI can't.

Had some really good coupons that are only good for today and now they went to waste. Oh well

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brynhilde View Post
    System is a joke.... yesterday wasn't even a freaking holiday and everyone's payments if they are getting any are delayed by a business day.

You can be assured your local MP hasn't missed a check.
    I have now missed two car payments, my auto Insurance is
    about to lapse and I haven't paid the utility bills. But be assured they
    will process my claim as soon as possible -

Happy @#$*@%#% New Year's!!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Not laughing at your situation but the way you phrased your first and last sentence..

I'm sorry that you are behind and having negative experiences with EI.. I also agree that the program is a scam. If I were you, I'd harass them everyday if that's possible... and by harass I mean phone them atleast once a day. Some users in here have recommended going to your MPP/MP to see if that speeds things up (make them work for their paycheque ). I really hope that EI gives you what you and many others in this thread what you all are entitled to. No one should have to be behind rent, bills or scratching their head to figure out where they are getting their next meal

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Just a word to the wise, I was on EI for a few months, found work (minimum wage work but still work). When tax time came, I owed taxes because while on EI, they didn't take off enough taxes. So make sure that you factor that in and put a little bit aside each month for tax time.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    Just a word to the wise, I was on EI for a few months, found work (minimum wage work but still work). When tax time came, I owed taxes because while on EI, they didn't take off enough taxes. So make sure that you factor that in and put a little bit aside each month for tax time.
    Not necessarily...

If you receive only special benefits, you won't have to repay anything. If you receive only regular benefits, you may have to repay depending on your income (I believe it was over $54 000). If you receive both, you may only have to repay the regular benefit portion.. again subject to your income level end of year.

Most people expect a return unless they are owing so maybe the tax saving idea could be a 'saving for something else' one

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Yo probably went over the minimum you were allowed to make if you were working and still collecting ei happened to me I was only allowed to make $140 a week if I worked

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just want to update everyone, my benefits finally came through, if you are waiting more than 25 days for your claim to be finalized, just keep calling them, after 25 days they will send your claim to an actual agent rather a machine and it will be done with in 5 business days, mine was done in 3. Just be patient and hang in there guys.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Not laughing at your situation but the way you phrased your first and last sentence..

I'm sorry that you are behind and having negative experiences with EI.. I also agree that the program is a scam. If I were you, I'd harass them everyday if that's possible... and by harass I mean phone them atleast once a day. Some users in here have recommended going to your MPP/MP to see if that speeds things up (make them work for their paycheque ). I really hope that EI gives you what you and many others in this thread what you all are entitled to. No one should have to be behind rent, bills or scratching their head to figure out where they are getting their next meal
    I worked in this department several years ago, but unfortunately, the staff has been reduced so much in recent years, it has negatively impacted the speed of service we get. I also know first hand what its like to wait and wait for your claim to be approved. The best advice I can give you is to call, and call, and call.

I wouldnt bother with going to your MPP or MP (does not fast track your application, especially if there are issues that are slowing down your application such as missing records of employments, incomplete/missing information on your records of employment, quits, dismissals, terminations, waiting for callbacks from employers, etc). But I agree with calling every day to emphasize the urgency of your call. When you call, make sure you mention you are in dire needs. Its a toll free call, but its well worth calling daily. It is money you and your family are waiting for and depending on to feed, clothe and house yourself and your family. But I cant stress enough that when you call, tell the agent you are in dire need. If its been 3 or more weeks since your last paycheck, they know you are struggling and will try to help as much as they can to get your claim finalized.
    Last edited by DiamondLil; Tue, Jan 10th, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Ilovecoupons!
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Tip for when you call EI... if you finally get past the busy tone and get on.. wait until after the woman says "Service Canada EI whatever..." press 0.. if they say they cannot transfer you, press 1 and you will be at the beginning again. Keep repeating press 0, then 1 if you are not getting transferred. That way, you stay on the line without having to call back and hang up again.
    Thank you so much for this tip!! I've been trying to call for the past 2 weeks at least 10 times a day and I could never get through. Today, I tried your tip and got through after pressing 0/1 about five times - I was on the phone for about 5 minutes and finally got to speak to someone!!!! Great tip!!

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

You can request for back-pay so they can base it on the date when you stopped reviving money. I just applied for EI sick benefits, and they said it could take 4-6 weeks from when I applied, but i can request back pay on my first check, if you don't own anything you could contact ontario works until it starts up..

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Ontario Works will make you repay them for the months you received assistance once you get EI. We decided to wait on EI when I received sickness benefits..

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

that's only if EI back pays you, for example.. you cant receive 2 different incomes for January, if you won't get backpaid for January, and EI doesn't pay you till mid-feb, they can't force you to pay it back. Ontario works lies alot so people don't go on it, my DH tried for Ontario Works when we were struggling, they said they would force him to sell EVERYTHING he owns, he told them to go F* themselves. He got onto ODSP, they said the selling off everything you own is a big fat lie. Same with paying money back, unless you get back pay from somewhere else as you cannot collect two different incomes for 1 month.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I did my placement for college at Ontario Works and worked there briefly. I still do advocacy for clients on ODSP/OW when I have spare time as well. OW can actually force you to pay it back if they don't already ask EI to remit the portion for month(s) you were on OW.. if they find out that you applied for EI, they present you with 1 yellow form and 1 white form that allows them to keep in contact with EI. The white form is a repayment agreement. Often when you are waiting for EI payments, you don't have any idea when your first payment will actually be coming. They have to follow the 28 day rule but as you have probably read, people have had to wait much longer. So yes, you may be on OW for Jan and not for Feb but they can ask EI to give them the amount you received from OW for January. The situation becomes worse if you are still waiting for EI payments and have no choice but to stay on OW for February too.

You may feel that they can't force you to pay it back but its possible that you could be issued an overpayment or worse. I think it's a really dumb idea but people forget that Ontario Works is a social loan program.. which means the government can ask you at any time to pay it back. They rarely do but why not go after EI recipients? (in the provincial government's mind) It's easy money to them.

Not trying to argue or sound like it.. but I want people to be informed. I watched a friend make the mistake of taking OW while waiting for EI too.. sucks to see someone get hit with a double whammy.

I try to encourage friends and family if they get in this situation to try and tough it out... I was fortunate to have some savings just to pay for rent and food but I let a lot of bills lapse (non-necessities) while waiting for pay. Anything not to be on OW.
    Last edited by Brynhilde; Thu, Jan 12th, 2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

Thats insane they would make you pay it back if you had no income for that month. Im going through ODSP now for when my 15 weeks of sick leave is over, they said it will take 6 months, for my DH it only took 1.5 months and they back paid him from the date he sent in his final portion of his application. But, I have a lawyer dealing with my insurance company that cut me off, so if I get any sort of settlement, I have to pay everything back regardless. I may get a settlement, and end up with absolutely nothing in the end.

And getting a loan for $500 a month is just silly. i don`t know anyone who could pay anything with that amount of money. My car payments every month for insurance and the loan, are $600! I wonder if you can sell your organs in canada, I don`t drink so a second kidney and most of my liver is no use to me, hurm..
    Last edited by PinkLincoln; Thu, Jan 12th, 2012 at 10:23 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information