User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I know!! It really doesn't make sense to me and IMO keeps people struggling.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sbugle12 View Post
    Yo probably went over the minimum you were allowed to make if you were working and still collecting ei happened to me I was only allowed to make $140 a week if I worked

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    No, once I found work, I stopped collecting EI as thankfully I found full time employment. So I don't think that would have an effect. They just didn't take off enough taxes when I was on EI. It was something like $3 off each cheque, which I thought was an awfully low amount, but first time collecting didn't think anything of it.

Although sadly I made more on EI, then I did once I started working full time .
    Last edited by matrix82; Thu, Jan 12th, 2012 at 11:31 PM.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brynhilde View Post
    Not necessarily...

If you receive only special benefits, you won't have to repay anything. If you receive only regular benefits, you may have to repay depending on your income (I believe it was over $54 000). If you receive both, you may only have to repay the regular benefit portion.. again subject to your income level end of year.

Most people expect a return unless they are owing so maybe the tax saving idea could be a 'saving for something else' one
    Now I wonder if H and R Block had made a mistake with my taxes. I made total that year, including EI around $24,000. I had regular EI for about five months before I found employment. I owed about $240 in taxes. My EI cheques only had $3 in deductions taken off each week.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

They may not have taken enough off, that does seem low for your income amount. I made close to double that while working for a few years, and I claim as a single person and always hit a $0, or get back $100-$300 :S I have found better returns going to money mart, and their fee is a lot lower.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I certainly hope that when my EI starts being paid, I won't have issues like this!

As it stands, I won't even see anything from them until after March 17th due to my severance etc payout from work, but it's in the system, so I wonder if they will stall actually depositing the money when it's supposed to start.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hubby had this quite a few years ago and I don't quite remember if he had to go back in when severance was done and 'remind' them or bring in something....check into it now so you're prepared

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    Now I wonder if H and R Block had made a mistake with my taxes. I made total that year, including EI around $24,000. I had regular EI for about five months before I found employment. I owed about $240 in taxes. My EI cheques only had $3 in deductions taken off each week.
    Never trust H&R Block $3 seems low but everyone's rate of EI is different, therefore you may pay less or more in taxes.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by joseff View Post
    Hubby had this quite a few years ago and I don't quite remember if he had to go back in when severance was done and 'remind' them or bring in something....check into it now so you're prepared

My ROE was submitted electronically, so everything was done very quickly based on what I'm reading here.

When I log in, it tells me all the information including what I will receive once the wait time is over.
    Even the letter was already received giving me the info, so I guess it's a wait & see.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    267 (100%)

My DH is on EI in the winter (He's a carpenter in the Oil Refineries). He's been doing his apprenticeship, so he had to switch his regular EI claim to a school claim for his 1st term last year, what a pain that was! It had been 8 weeks without any pay, and we have kids to feed/bills to pay. Finally he got sick of waiting and called our local MP. Within 48 hours we had a check in the bank. I would hound the EI people, and then make a call to your local MP for action.

This year, he was laid off Dec 19th (for the winter season) and then started his 2nd term of his apprenticeship Jan.9th. So when his EI went through, we got 1 weeks pay the first week of Jan. Instead of waiting to change to a school claim til his report was due, he called them and gave them the reference code and such, so now it will all just go like it should... Instead of having to wait 2 more weeks when his report is due. Thankfully though, what a hassle it was the first time!
    Click here to view my Wishlist & Tradelist!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

My suggestion for anyone who is frustrated in dealing with thier EI Claim is make a complaint to your local MP!

http://www.parl.gc.ca/parlinfo/compi...spx?Language=E

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information