User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Is costco worth the money?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've never had a Costco membership and never been in a store.It just doesn't make sense to me to pay them $50 to save money.
    barbis9 likes this.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

There are a few things I would like to say about why it is good to have a Costco membership.
    Firstly, I have the Executive membership (so I think this one is just one above the basic) and we get cash back for our purchases, when we need to renew again. I have been averaging around $60 for the past few years - so I would say that is a good savings! The cash back amount would be higher if we purchased high priced items, like furniture etc every year. So this $60 is just based on regular products throughout the year.

Secondly, in terms of pricing - I recently went there and jotted down the prices/sizes of the products that I use the most - this way I can compare to the smaller bottle sizes which are usually on sale at other stores. I can honestly say there are things I just won't buy at Costco at their regular prices, but when they have their sale for P&G (which is on now) - many of those products are better priced at Costco, then to buy them at a "store" on sale and using a coupon. So it's worth it to just check or at least know your pricing of products you buy most often.

Thirdly, they have the best return policy. I have never had ANY problems returning a product back to Costco. We have returned a whole patio set a year later because it didn't last in the elements. We returned a BBQ 3 years later without a problem (mind you with that return we contacted the head office first), but they gave us no hassle. For their return policy alone I will keep my membership!
    barbis9 and nightlite like this.

Lounging in the veggie garden!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Oh and their whole chicken come in pack of three and are around $23-24 - you can't find chickens so large and fresh at that price anywhere. I always freeze them without problems. I also purchase their ground beef, fish, ribs which are fabulous on the BBQ.
    I steer away from the fruits and veggies, unless we have a party, since the most of it comes in large quantities, which we simply wouldn't go through in time before they went bad. If you had someone to share a lot of your packs with, then it would work out to be a great deal!
    Most of their store brand Kirkland products are fantastic. They have the best toilet paper - I have tried many other kinds and none of them stand up to their brand.
    barbis9 likes this.

Lounging in the veggie garden!

Trading Score
    57 (98%)

we get ours for free because hubby works there
    barbis9 likes this.
    Can't say enough good things about Swagbucks & iRazoo ...Click the link to join too

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I have a free membership but never use it (my mom buys one, I get the second household one). Personally I get overwhelmed by the amount of people there. And just leave. There's too much going on. Books are a good deal, but they only have best sellsers/new releases. I'll stick to Amazon or Chapters (online). I don't eat meat, so I don't really need that. And of their veg. section, I'm trying to stay away from processed foods, so meh.
    barbis9 likes this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    123 (99%)

Quote Originally Posted by lekate View Post
    Personally I get overwhelmed by the amount of people there. And just leave. There's too much going on.
    i hate how crazy busy it is, i have never been anywhere that i have encountered so many rude people... when you hit someone with your cart you should at least say your sorry... not turn around and glare at me... and keep your darn elbows tucked in...
    barbis9 likes this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

depending on your location and what you buy it can be worth it.. thier produce is top notch great produce but that is only good if you can eat the larger portions they come in (huge bags of carrots, mixed veggies, salads) thier meat section is great high quality great prices great cuts, but you have to enjoy meat and have a place to freeze it, we buy PB and jam there(they have a really good jam for a good price) cheese strings are pretty cheap for a huge box, tomato sauce the large can is $2 cheaper then anywhere else in town.. some things you can get for the same price onsale other places BUT you do have to wait for the sale.. so it's sorta a catch 22, though i will add the kirkland signature products (thier instore products) are all very good high quality store brand products (often made by big name companies)

they also have decent prices on electronics and clothing (though no place to try it on) most of the clothing is basics (dress shirts, work shirts, polos, T style shirts, coolmax in the summer, swimsuits) thier easter and christmas dresses are to rave about (high quality super cute, good price) thier return policy is amazing, they don't question things, they don't argue or debate, you can return something after 6 months with no problems no store that i know of has a better return policy

though as someone else has mentioned you have to be careful with impulse buying at costco, i've also found you can spend $$$ very easily and quickly in costco, i can walk in just pick up basics and end up spending $75 without even realising until i get to the til

if you want to get a feel for the store you can go to the service desk and ask for a day pass, it will let you walk around the store look around BUT you can't buy anything, i'd suggest take a digi cam, take pictures of product and pricing
    barbis9 likes this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

The psychological effects of Costco members is worthy of a PhD. It is a cross between sunk-cost effect, cognitive dissonance and Stockholm syndrome. If you know a member, they will always ask (bully) you to shop with them to get their membership's worth. They are consumed with buying stuff. Some would compare prices endlessly. In the end, they get more stuff rather than spending less money. Most end up spending the same amount of money by the end of the year. Instead of $20 steaks, they are eating 2 $10 steaks for dinner. If you have hungry growing children, it can be a great deal. If you have self-control problems and on diet, I wouldn't recommend it.

In the 90s, they used to offer day pass for new consumers in which you can buy $100 of goods at club price. (Maybe only in US?) It's a trap! Most people end up buying more than $100 and get a membership on the way out!

They do have great customer service. A great company from the top down.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I do have a massive amount of coupons but will not give up my Costco membership. I get my money's worth with their low price on food, health and beauty, clothes. Yes they do sell quality and brand name clothes for an affordable price. Just recently I bought a Kenneth Cole winter coat for $57 something dollars. Regular price is more than $150. Such a great deal.

They have good prices on winter and all season tires as well, oil change for $29, photos cheaper than WM.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.... what more can I say........

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I am at the point of almost giving up my membership. We are down to going about 4 times a year.

With all the freebies and near freebies it is no longer worth it for us. We had the executive membership and the 2% back gave us about $150 per year which covered the fee BUT last year our 2% dropped to $12!!! LOL So if it were not for the fact that they have the best garbage bags and a gas bar I would cut up my card in a minute. I have sources for all my other needs. Butcher, clothing wholesaler, linen wholesaler so this year we got the $50 membership and buy only gasd, garbage bags and DH's glasses. Even the gas is not that great a deal because Costco sets their prices in the morning and sometimes by the afternoon other places are cheaper with the way it fluctuates in this town.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Even the gas is not that great a deal because Costco sets their prices in the morning and sometimes by the afternoon other places are cheaper with the way it fluctuates in this town.
    The big difference is in the price of premium gas. The gas 'cartel' in the Toronto area collude to charge 14 cents/L on top of regular. Costco only charges 7 cents extra, not to mention that their regular is already 5 cents cheaper.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by travelgeek View Post
    The big difference is in the price of premium gas. The gas 'cartel' in the Toronto area collude to charge 14 cents/L on top of regular. Costco only charges 7 cents extra, not to mention that their regular is already 5 cents cheaper.

DOn't know if this happens where you are but the prices can go up and down many times in a day. I have actually been in a gas station when the attendant got the "call" to raise the gas because so and so was raising it. So Costco, because it fixes a daily price loses out in this way.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    DOn't know if this happens where you are but the prices can go up and down many times in a day. I have actually been in a gas station when the attendant got the "call" to raise the gas because so and so was raising it. So Costco, because it fixes a daily price loses out in this way.
    That's how it used to work here, until the stations decided one day to collude and leave it at the same price the entire day. The price changes once at 11:45PM, and then stays there until the same time the next day. Until Costco came in, we basically had no price competitiveness. Now the neighboring esso and shell are a lot emptier .

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Sorry to jump onto the thread, but I have a $25 GC for Costco, but I don't have a membership... Can I still go into Costco and use it? Do I just show them the GC at the door?

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ah2k View Post
    Sorry to jump onto the thread, but I have a $25 GC for Costco, but I don't have a membership... Can I still go into Costco and use it? Do I just show them the GC at the door?
    Yes, you can use the gift card without a membership.
    gone shopping!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information