User Tag List

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Umm, how bad are Twizzlers?
    Luna got into the candy bag while DH was watching her, and got a package of Twizzlers. She got them out and is now eating them. She was squealing before and now she's stopped, so I'm not exactly wanting to take them away, lol. But are they really bad for her?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

who cares, as long as it doesn't happen very often. It's good to expose kids to the sweets in strict moderation, otherwise they'll end up like me, discovering sweets in college and gaining 70 pounds because I fell in love with them. My parents NEVER exposed me to sweets.
    SwagBucks.com - the premiere digital dollar. Earn SwagBucks to redeem for great prizes. Amazon.ca are available here!

LeadPrizes.com - I have redeemed for $6 into my PayPal account in just under two weeks. You can too with this awesome PTC site!

Trading Score
    112 (100%)

well its just sugar, I don't think letting her eat licorice one time will hurt her or anything. Might give her a bit of diarrhea since babies don't process sugar very well.
    Win daily prizes worth $150 to $10000 sign up here!! I've won 3x $150 GCs since Jan.2012
    http://www.todaysdraw.com/?invite=5780

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Oh no, Luna knows what sweets are. Well, not often, but yeah. On Halloween my MIL gave her a mini candy bar. She basically sucked off the chocolate then spit out the wafer part, lol..
    She's a pretty good girl, for the most part, but she's going through a phase of SQUEALING at the top of her lungs. Highpitched and hurts my ears badly. So I didn't want to take those Twizzlers from her, lol.

Banned
    Trading Score
    38 (100%)

Eh, it'll be a sugar rush for sure, but who cares. It's a nice little treat. Just make sure she chews it good and doesn't bite off too much and choke.

Oh...and a warning for tomorrow....her poo will probably be florescent green! My boys eat any sort of fruit snack or fruit by the foot or any of those candy treats with food colouring and the poo is crazy green the next day!

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

Like others have said, a little treat once in a while is perfectly acceptable!

Again, make sure she doesn't bite off pieces that are too big to choke on, and I know you won't do this, but don't leave her alone in a room with them by herself!

orv
    Female
    Trading Score
    77 (100%)

Yep, wouldnt worry about it, as long as she isnt bitting chunks off and choking, It shouldn't hurt her. Shes gunna love daddy long time! lol
    Niagara Falls for New years!!! YIPPY!!!!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Actually my doctor told me there is something in licorice that kids before age 2 should not have, same as honey, there's something in it. I can't remember if it was black or red though.

I know black licorice is no good for pregnant women it can effect the fetuses.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Found this so I guess it is the black one.

What are the health problems associated with excessive consumption of licorice?
    Licorice is a shrub whose root is used to flavor candies, drinks, teas, and many other products. Glycyrrhizin, or glycyrrhinizic acid, is the principal active component of licorice root. A 2008 European Commission report suggested that "people should not consume any more than 100mg of glycyrrhizinic acid a day, for it can raise blood pressure or cause muscle weakness, chronic fatigue, headaches or swelling, and lower testosterone levels in men." Some of these effects are due to the fact that glycyrrhizin decreases potassium levels. Although 100mg is the recommended upper daily limit, persons with certain preexisting health conditions (e.g., hypertension, glaucoma, hypokalemia, slow intestinal transit) may be sensitive at much lower levels of consumption. Studies have found that licorice candies contain between .29 and 7.9mg of glycyrrhizinic acid per gram of candy; the mean is 1.7mg/g. Antesite contains 3g/100cl. French Feast products containing licorice are Cachou Lajaunie, grains de Provence, Zan, Zanoids, Stoptou, Batna and Antésite. A product often overlooked by those trying to moderate their licorice intake is herbal teas; many of those aimed at facilitating digestion contain licorice in non-negligible quantities. Read the full European Commission report (link opens pdf file): Opinion of the Scientific Committee on Food on Glycyrrhizinic Acid and Its Ammonium Salt.
    Comments

<FORM style="DISPLAY: none" id=comment_on_5035630 class=FLC method=post action=/comment/ itxtHarvested="1" itxtNodeId="277"><TEXTAREA style="WIDTH: 100%; HEIGHT: 36px" class=inputText onfocus="if (this.value=='Add a comment...') this.value=''; this.style.height='100px';" name=comment itxtBad="1" itxtNodeId="289">Add a comment...</TEXTAREA>
    <INPUT value=5035630 type=hidden name=a itxtBad="1" itxtNodeId="287"> <INPUT value=685410 type=hidden name=q itxtBad="1" itxtNodeId="286"> <INPUT class="Button1a submit" onclick="return AB.require_login('Please login or create an account to save your answer.', false);" value="Add Comment" type=submit name="" itxtBad="1" itxtNodeId="285"> </FORM>

Read more: Is eating a lot of black licorice bad for you (apart from the sugar)? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/685410#ixzz1EjbReOWw

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

My mom was a midwife in Germany and told me this when I was pregnant with my kids in early 90's. I don't think Twizzlers and such have real licorice in them. I believe it is artificial flavours only.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof3heathens View Post
    My mom was a midwife in Germany and told me this when I was pregnant with my kids in early 90's. I don't think Twizzlers and such have real licorice in them. I believe it is artificial flavours only.
    Probably why they are so good lol

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

the main ingredients are flour, oil, sugar, artificial flavor & color.

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoddessDigi View Post
    Oh no, Luna knows what sweets are. Well, not often, but yeah. On Halloween my MIL gave her a mini candy bar. She basically sucked off the chocolate then spit out the wafer part, lol..
    She's a pretty good girl, for the most part, but she's going through a phase of SQUEALING at the top of her lungs. Highpitched and hurts my ears badly. So I didn't want to take those Twizzlers from her, lol.
    Good luck with the squealing, my oldest son started that and didn't stop until he was 2 1/2

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Oh don't tell me that! My hearing has always been rather crappy and this past week and a half it's gotten so horrid that I can barely hear a thing..and it causes some major headaches. Her squealing is...aiyiyi.
    She actually ate the whole pack (the ones you can give out for Halloween), but she just nibbled it down, I think. I never saw her actually take a bite, just chew on it, but it must've gone down somehow, cause it's all gone, lol.
    I think she liked it so much because she's teething, again... Yet another tooth coming in on the bottom. And she bit my toe! Hurts.

Thread Information