User Tag List

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Lots of extra scrutiny at this time of year, as we begin to get all the students taking their summer jobs, and school leavers ... I don't think there's any consipracy type thing going on since the school for that.

On the negative side, my "shopping" has now become "couponing" to strangers as well as family. Today I even had someone ask me how big my stock-pile was ... I explained that the show was 'extreme couponing' not 'hoarders.' This week I'm feeling more noticed, but then the P&G coupons make me more avid.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I just started couponing and yes it was because of the exreme couponing series BUT watching the show I never thought it was possible to do here in Canada, until I started researching it online.

With everything there is a code of ethics, so I don't clear shelves or take whole stacks of coupons BUT maybe we need to make that more clear to other newbies?

BTW, love , love, love this forum and all your wisdom! Thank you all!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

i think the EC shows people who seem to need to have a whole store in their house, i was watching one show where the family had $75,000 of food in their home, who needs more food with that much in their house already, yet there they go to the store to prove to the world that they can get moremoremore and for as little as possible... i think each person with a huge stockpile should have to donate so much of it to a shelter or teach a family with low income how they do it so they can save money too... I just think its a little bit of overkill in the states, i don't have a stockpile, but i have stocked up on things that we use alot of... like wipes, TP, tissue, etc... I told my husband if i get as bad a stockpile as in the states... he can donate it to friend and family that need it... i buy what we need for a few months right now... i'll worry about the rest when i come the time comes and the sales. Keep on couponing!!!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I was at superstore today with a bunch of coupons, including a couple of doubles of B1G1's. I was using the self checkout and the cashier had to help me with the coupons and she asked if I was double-couponing. I reassured her I wasn't and that I had enough to cover all the coupons (and that I knew these coupons weren't stackable). She looked so relieved - I guess a lot of epeople have been trying to do what they see on tv these days.
    My blog is Resolving Timeline Issues
    I'm doing the Run for the Cure for my mom and my mother in law!
    I'm giving away these coupons for free! It's updated fairly regularly.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi Everyone,

I started couponing about a year ago, before the show Extreme Couponing. I find it alot harder now to go out to your local store and find a stash of coupons, because everytime I turn, I see a coupon tear pad...Empty.

I still coupon and am proud to say I have saved over $300.00 in a single order.

I have seen every eposide of the newest hit show on TLC, called Extreme Couponing. I think the show is awesome, and a great way to teach people how to save money. I also feel people who start couponing because of the show are smart, because they relaize that it is possible to beat the store, and make them pay you, instead of vise versa.

I do belive many many people have started couponing, and are taking advantage of couponing, and trying to give cashiers expired coupons, coupons for the wrong items, coupons from the USA, and coupons that say one per customer.

You may not know it, but I have been a cashier before, and your manager will ask you about how you feel about everything that is part of your job once a year, including coupons. If these cashiers pass on the message saying we are getting coupons that are expired, people are trying to use them on the wrong item, people are ripping boxes open before they pay for the item, so they can have the coupon that is on the box, that store might make a huge change to their couponing polices. I belive couponing will always be around in some way, because companys will countuine to make new products, and will want people like us to try them, so they might seen out coupons, and or samples.

Theses stores can still make a change and limit coupons to 20 coupons per customer, per shopping trip.

I use more that 20 coupons a trip, and would be very saddened to learn that this has happened because of people taking advantage of couponing.

I also would like to say, please if you see coupons or samples at a store, take ONLY WHAT YOU NEED. A few weeks ago I went into a Wal-Mart and saw the Breath Right strips. There was a man infront of me, who was going to take some...so I thought. He decided it would be a good idea to take all of them, and put them into his shopping basket. I only wanted ONE!, because that is all I need. I understand if you take 1-5 or even a few more depending on how many you need, but this man took at least 50 of them. I followed him around the store, to see what he was going to do with them, and he asked a cashier for a bag and put them in the bag and walked out of the store.

Stuff like that will limit, and ruin couponing completey.

For some, it has already been ruined, because there are never coupons on tear pads anymore, because people think they need the whole tear pad.

PLEASE TAKE WHAT YOU NEED, AND ONLY WHAT YOU NEED, we all want and need the coupons.

Please do not ruin this for us, because if couponing is ruined, this site will be to, peoples budgets will be affected, and the amount of food that is put on a table for a family. Some people don't do this to say I know how to coupon, some people do it, because that is the only way they know how to put food on the table.

(Nothing agaisnt new couponers after watching the show, good for you for starting to coupon, just learn how to the right way)

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by 98PERCENTOFF View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I also would like to say, please if you see coupons or samples at a store, take ONLY WHAT YOU NEED. A few weeks ago I went into a Wal-Mart and saw the Breath Right strips. There was a man infront of me, who was going to take some...so I thought. He decided it would be a good idea to take all of them, and put them into his shopping basket. I only wanted ONE!, because that is all I need. I understand if you take 1-5 or even a few more depending on how many you need, but this man took at least 50 of them. I followed him around the store, to see what he was going to do with them, and he asked a cashier for a bag and put them in the bag and walked out of the store.

Why the heck would someone want the entire pad? Or am i just naive in thinking this is bizarre behavior?
    Last edited by Kiva; Mon, Jun 6th, 2011 at 07:28 AM. Reason: spelling

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    -1 (0%)

First, I don't think that EC has or will ruin couponing in Canada. I think it's a fad and it will pass once people start realizing that we simply cannot have the savings here in Canada that you see on that show.

Second, I have to wonder if the "beat the store" attitude isn't where a lot of the problem lies. I don't see it as an "us vs them" sort of scenerio, but rather as a way to save some money on our weekly grocery bill. It's possible that when it becomes that scenerio that people will try anything to win. It turns the stores or the companies into a villian of sorts which could breed irresponsible couponing which will lead to unwelcome changes by those stores and companies.

Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I'm wording it correctly.

Kings County Coupon Queen sarah_300c's Avatar
    Trading Score
    693 (100%)

I'm actually getting pretty tired of hearing about this show, and I haven't even seen an episode.

Trading Score
    221 (100%)

There are way to many threads saying the exact same thing!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah_300c View Post
    I'm actually getting pretty tired of hearing about this show, and I haven't even seen an episode.

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I personally can't stand the show, I've seen it twice recently. I think the show is getting a lot of attention from Companies that distribute coupons, and the new wording reflects the blantant abuse they see.
    I agree its become a bit of a fad in Canada- but to actually be a couponer takes a lot of time, work, planning- its not for everyone. I'm proably as extreme as it gets in Canada, but I too don't like the comments that refer to the show when I'm in the checkout, from the cashiers or other people in the lines- if they don't coupon they don't realize the amount of effort it takes- its not being handed to us.
    But its clear they are looking at us a lot harder than they use to and when I get a difficult cashier I feel like I'm being punished for the sins of the dishonest ones. Its rare for me to use the wrong cpn or pick up the wrong item but it happens - I HAVE gone back to stores to have them correct an item. My husband picked up the wrong glade refill last week to get the sense and spray free- and we returned it. Another cashier deducted a cheese cpn and he'd forgotten to actually buy the cheese. We corrected that too.

Its really sad that people don't see that side of couponing on the show, the majority of couponers are honest.
    I agree there seems to be an us versus the store mentality. I hope the show is short lived, I really don't think it does anything to help us or portray us in the best light.
    Last edited by lor1492; Mon, Jun 6th, 2011 at 12:13 PM.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I agree with OP 100%. Most people don't seem to think that store will change their policies when it come to coupons. They say, I will just go elsewhere. It will become pretty hard to go elswhere when their is nowhere else to go as they have all adopted the same types of policies. I can see a limit of 1 coupon per item per transaction coming if things don't change. It wouldn't shock me. I have been couponing from way before they ever had expiry dates, I have seen a lot of changes, and there will be a lot more to come.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    15 (94%)

I have nothing against the show. I think it's a great way to show how AMERICANS can save by using their coupons on double/triple coupon days etc....
    However, the show does show that you can print some coupons and it's a LIMITED amount of coupons that they are entitled to print.
    As for tear pads, unfortunately, if people (like smartcanuckers) do some exchanges or RAOK or participate in the coupon train, then those coupon pads will be emptied quicker than they're supposed to. I (personally) ALWAYS take 5 coupons: 3 for myself and 2 to exchange or give. Sometimes the expiry date approaches and I use them all for myself (I'll admit). I agree that some people exaggerate by taking 30+++ coupons and DO NOT use them all. However, maybe they are smartcanuckers (in disguise) and do the RAOK or coupon trains or exchanges just like I do, but have a tendency of taking WAY too much!
    I'm trying to be open minded and objective about all of this..... yet I sound confused! Anyhoo, that's just my opinion of the show and my reasoning behind why people empty the coupon tear pads.
    Lynn

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm wondering though if companies like the show because it does advertise their product. Even on this site you will see pictures of (for instance) Gillette shaving cream. There's free advertising for Gillette and people are talking about the product. It's a great way to promote the product and also the company can read the blogs to see what people's reaction to the product is. Just a thought!!!!
    Want Free Gift Cards? Join me at SWAGBUCKS!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/bekki3

rhondarichardson1 rhondarichardson1's Avatar
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I agree with just taking what you need from the tearpads. I see people selling them on E-bay to make a profit.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I totally would have asked that guy for afew of them!

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread Information