User Tag List

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Last edited by TheSaltyDog; Thu, Jun 23rd, 2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: hahaha, swears.

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

Thanks Dianne.

"And, besides, I think a lot of the "problems" that Smart Canucks seem to have are probably caused by couponers who are NOT members of SC!"

Can guests post on the threads? I thought you had to be a memeber to comment on anything

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lor1492 View Post
    I am thankful- I'm thankful that I can come to SC and maybe focus on something less trivial than my life. In the last week we've lost a dear friend, my SIL walked out on a 34 yr marriage leaving a stunned hubby alone to cope with a severly disabled child and my daughter went into premature labour- just 3 hours after the baby was born she had to be airlifted to the IWK because some troubled kid called in a bomb threat- my hubby and I were racing between the disabled neice and BIL, the hospital and the funeral home.
    My point is that sometimes what people are complaining about is really maybe frustration or sadness about other parts of their life and they come here to get away but still vent in unrelated things. I'm exhausted, overwhelmed, heartbroken, elated, confused and more, all rolled up into a tiny ball- I've hung out here all day when I should have been doing other things because I'm hiding out. I'm ok with people complaining a bit - its like taking anger out on a toothpaste cap.
    I agree. We just found out my dad's got cancer and his chances aren't good, and venting about coupons is a lot easier than venting about cancer. We only know what people online tell us, but chances are there are whole worlds of things going on in their lives that we don't know.

But I also think that whenever possible, jokes should be made about whatever you're venting about (on this site and everywhere else in life). You've gotta laugh to keep from crying, or whatever. People often talk on here like they're working for the UN or something when they vent. Almost anything can be funny, and paper towel packages torn open for their coupons, or cereal boxes with the coupons cut out, is certainly no exception.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by TheSaltyDog View Post
    I just wish that people could pose dissenting opinions and questions on this forum with tact and grace, without jumping down people's throats, and on the other hand, without getting beep-slapped for having said opinion or question to ask. And I wish that, on the whole, the people of this world would get a bloody sense of humour, too.
    Yes. Conversations get boring when everyone has to agree all the time. But just because it's the internet, there's no excuse for acting like a jerk. I think it would be a shame if disagreements weren't allowed, but respect should be a requirement.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Last edited by TheSaltyDog; Thu, Jun 23rd, 2011 at 03:36 PM.

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

I started couponing because I watched an episode of Extreme Couponing. It inspired me to take control of my grocery budget by sale shopping, stocking up and strategically using coupons. I've saved a ton of money already and I'm addicted, however I know it's not possible to "extreme coupon" like the Americans. I wouldn't want to anyway... the show glorifies excess consumption.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

EC bugs me too everyone. The show doesn't explain that the US has a multitude of different grocery stores, they are all competing to get customers in there stores. Therefore coupons are everywhere and double coupon days are frequent because of grocery store marketing. Canada only has a handful of different grocery stores some of which are connected is some way or other. So there aren't as many choices we Canadian have as far as comparison shopping. But we still do pretty good for ourselves.

As fore people that take a whole pad of coupons is disgusting. What ever happened for consideration of others. Is it going by the wayside like letter writing. I don't mean to offend anyone with the letter writing statement but letter writing isn't as popular as it was 20 years ago.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I believe venting is healthy, but so is humility, and a strong dose of reality in realizing that I am not the only couponer in Canada, in my city, on my effing street for that matter. Vent, let off steam, laugh, and move on, I say. In fact, find company in your misery by using the search option, finding a similar thread, and posting it there. I agree that there is tooooo much repetition, the same "everything sucks" rant, over and over. I do think there is a place for it, but within reason.

I just wish that people could pose dissenting opinions and questions on this forum with tact and grace, without jumping down people's throats, and on the other hand, without getting beep-slapped for having said opinion or question to ask. And I wish that, on the whole, the people of this world would get a bloody sense of humour, too. It's not like someone took the LAST TOILET PAPER EVER ON EARTH. They'll make more. If your coupon expires before they restock, well...you're S.O.L. Life isn't designed to hand you everything you want, when you want it, at the price you want to pay.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    95 (100%)

I've noticed good and bad...

GOOD - Stores are a bit more aware than before.

BAD - Being asked if I'm an "extreme couponer" (I hate that, especially when I'm only using a couple coupons).
    - I find there is extra scrutiny with coupons, because people are using them improperly and cashiers are getting in trouble for not noticing.

NO CHANGES - still find coupons at most places without all of them ripped off the tearpads.

The only thing better than saving money is VOLLEYBALL!!!

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

lol @ me Salty - I should have realized what you meant- guess I'm a little confused today

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just wish that people could pose dissenting opinions and questions on this forum with tact and grace, without jumping down people's throats, and on the other hand, without getting beep-slapped for having said opinion or question to ask. .
    No kidding, I'm going through this as we speak lol People can be too sensitive thinking it's personal, when in reality it's just about a product. The responses have basically made me think taking full pads of coupons and clearing shelves is just fine and I owe no-one any explanation.
    "Define yourself do not live by definition"

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lor1492 View Post
    I think perhaps its not always one person clearing a tear pad. I often see that the store has put out 3 or 4 pads for the same thing (ie breathe right and advil) I normally take six per product. That is the most I can reasonably use before it expires. If I go back a week later and the pads are still there I'll take another 6 to trade, if I go back the week after I'll take another six for RAOKs, if no one else is showing an interest in the cpns why leave them? A pad thats been hanging around for 6 to 10 weeks is close to being tossed out- I'll also leave extras in stores where the best sales are.
    I'm drifting away from my point which is, if couponing is becoming more popular (and clearly it is) if even 10 new people are looking for cpns in the store, it isn't going to take long to empty those pads even at a couple each- especially if the rep has only put out a single pad.
    My shoppers and sobeys still has those advil and strips cpn pads up and its been months since they came out.
    I admit that when I started I took more than I needed, I quickly realized it was foolish to take more than I could use and I literally spent hours putting them back with the products around the stores. It was a newbie mistake and I learned, hopefully others will too.
    My sentiments exactly. That is exactly what I do. It bothers me when people have a bunch to trade when they are new on the shelf. I understand if they've been on the shelf for a while.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheapass View Post
    Yes. Conversations get boring when everyone has to agree all the time. But just because it's the internet, there's no excuse for acting like a jerk. I think it would be a shame if disagreements weren't allowed, but respect should be a requirement.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

We have a brag section, how about a gripe section? A place where someone can get their coupon venting and belly aching out in one spot. Those who want to avoid it can, and the other sections can be less cluttered by the repitition.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by shennig View Post
    I started couponing because I watched an episode of Extreme Couponing. It inspired me to take control of my grocery budget by sale shopping, stocking up and strategically using coupons. I've saved a ton of money already and I'm addicted, however I know it's not possible to "extreme coupon" like the Americans. I wouldn't want to anyway... the show glorifies excess consumption.
    You're brave to say that on here. I'm with you.

I'm a stay at home mom and stretching the dollar is important. I've tried using coupons before, but failed at matching them to sales until learning from SC. I'm sure alot of people will also fail, (not seeing the point of driving across town for 50 cents) then the real dedicated couponers will be left. By the way, I, as a newbie haven't been brave enough to take more than 2 from tear offs, but don't see why it would be necessary for SCs to even take 5. I sure hope things are donated if they won't be used.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread Information