User Tag List

Page 1994 of 11781 FirstFirst ... 994 1494 1894 1944 1984 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 2004 2044 2094 2494 2994 ... LastLast
Results 29,896 to 29,910 of 176708
Like Tree1334446Likes

Thread: Club Q Q107-Loyalty Club (Southern ON Only) v4

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good morning.....off to the mountain today. Have to make up for yesterdays loss.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

morning Q-sters
    Enjoy the weekend

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Morning all. Enjoy your weekend!

Sazzy
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Morning everyone .. hope you all have a great weekend I am off to second job now

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

[QUOTE=WolfDio;4355281]This is what someone Blogged about it (so, these are not "my" Comments).
    I have heard similar Arguments, though.

Better Safe than Sorry.

Cell Phones and Fuel Pumps... Safe Together?

Is it safe to use a cell phone while pumping gas? That is the question. Many people believe it is not safe to do so for a number of reasons. First, at most gas pumps is a sign that says, "No cell phones." There is one reason to believe it is not safe. The second reason is that there are cases of people using cell phones at the pump who have caught on fire. That's reason enough for me, yet many people will will argue that it is safe to use a phone at a gas pumps. Arguments can be simple as, "Well I've never seen anybody catch on fire at a gas station, and I see people using cell phones there all the time." This is certainly logical, and in all honesty, I can totally agree with that. However, this isn't to say it can't happen...

Now that we've answered the "why," let's answer the "how." How does a cell phone start a fire at a gas pump, IF it can start a fire? Some say it is the static charge that can ignite the gas fumes, and that before pumping gas, one must touch something metal to dispel the static charge before touching the gas nozzle. Others say that the radio waves can ignite, for one case shows a man's pants catching on fire as soon as his phone rang in his pocket. however, those who say it is still safe to use a phone at the pump might say, "Well, out of all the people that use phones at the pump, one person causing an accident could have been a fluke." Again, I can totally agree with this. However, for me, it's better safe than sorry

With the "why" and the "how" answered, there isn't much else needed other that perhaps the "where" and the "who." According to my research done on www.truthorfiction.com, a worker from a shell gas station gives a few cases of accidents occurring at the pump with cell phone use. In one, a man's phone rang and fumes from the tank simultaneously ignited. In another, a man's pants caught on fire as his phone rang in his pocket, and another man suffered facial burns while talking on his phone at the pump. My other source, Center4research.com, flat out is against any phones at the pump, and gives many precautions regarding cell phones before pumping gas. My side of the arguement, is clear, though I tried to stay unbiased. With all these reported accidents, you should ask yourself, "Is it worth possibly getting a serious burn? Or can the conversation wait?"[/QUOTE
    Thank you for the info, I survived.

Burning my way through another year!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by psells View Post
    Some of us on SC may be old enough to remember the old days before self-serve gas pumps when training was required to dispense fuel. Since then, what seems to have been forgotten is that dispensing flammable fuels is an inherently hazardous process. The rules on the pumps are all there for reasons, big or small. A mobile phone is not 'intrinsically safe', meaning that it is not electrically isolated from the surrounding atmosphere. From a wireless industry white paper I just found,

¡°Intrinsically Safe¡± (IS) is a protection certification for safe operation with electronic equipment in explosive atmospheres. The concept was developed for safe operation of process control instrumentation in hazardous areas, particularly around petro-chemicals.
    A device termed ¡°intrinsically safe¡± is designed and certified to eliminate or encapsulate any components that produce sparks or which could generate enough heat to cause an ignition in areas with flammable gasses, dusts or fuels. Cell phones, smart phones, PDA.s and other hand held devices can be ignition sources for explosives. A truly intrinsically safe cell phone will not ignite explosives.

If you could see an IS device you would see the difference immediately. Typically, IS devices such as multimeters, gas detectors, or portable radios will be 2 or 3 times larger than you would otherwise expect, be rubberized all over or at least around any working buttons or dials, and waaay expensive.

Other gas pump stuff; if you are not in contact with your car while fueling, stay that way until the cap is back in place; if you are in contact with your car while fueling, stay that way until the cap is back in place; no door or hatch should be opened or closed while fueling; if a fire starts, do not attempt to remove the nozzle or replace the cap, just back your arse away from the car and get everyone else to exit on the opposite side; call 9-1-1; if you can safely grab a fire extinguisher and you know what you are doing (i.e. you've been trained and have used one before on flammable liquids) then give it a go; otherwise stand back and marvel at the wonders of combustion for 6 minutes and 20 seconds until rockit and 6ff9 get there. I'll be the wiseacre taking pictures from across the street and blogging about your misfortune.
    I am with you , But i think in a refinery we want to be a little further away than across the street, but great info.
    Last edited by Karl Stiel; Sat, Jan 28th, 2012 at 07:43 AM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Morning Smart Qanucks, Just caught up and i see no one won the trip from here, i thought for sure someone would get it, there is always next week, i should be in town for that one.

Commander:Northern armies rock lobster's Avatar
    No one goes off-trail. No one walks alone.
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My pants caught on fire at the gas pump once.
    But then she just drove off.
    @
    ;

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

sad post, andrew macnaughtan died on tuesday - at the age of 47

http://www.thestar.com/article/1122140--andrew-macnaughtan-photographer-dies-shooting-rush

MacNaughtan’s sharply designed photographs, familiar to most Canadians from magazines and album covers even if they never knew his name, constitute a veritable Who’s Who of CanCon star power. He shot everyone from Bryan Adams, Celine Dion and the Tragically Hip to Peter Mansbridge, Margaret Atwood and the Trailer Park Boys during his career. A three-time Juno winner for album design, he also directed the occasional music video for such artists as Great Big Sea and Michael Bublé. (He won a fourth Juno for Music DVD of the Year for Rush in Rio.)
    MacNaughtan’s most recent work was nevertheless something of a departure. He published a collection of photographs taken during his travels in Kenya and Tanzania last November entitled Grace: Africa in Photographs. Proceeds from the book went to Art Gives Hope, a charity MacNaughtan founded in 2006. He said at the time he hoped the book would result in 500 new sponsors for African children in need through World Vision, a charity to which Art Gives Hope gave generously.
    He got the idea for Art Gives Hope while shooting the Live 8 concert in 2005, he told the Star in a 2006 interview.
    “I was shooting backstage and I thought, I have this extensive archive of photos of all these great Canadian musicians and something good can come of this,” he said. “At the same time it sort of seemed silly that these pictures could do some good.”
    That first Art Gives Hope exhibit and sale of signed-by-the-subject prints went on to raise $55,000 for World Vision.

every christmas my dad and joyce (his gf) give me a world vision card, some years
    i gave a goat to a family in africa, or antibiotics, last year it was food for a hungry
    canadian family.

on the cbc interview cathy mentions how hard is was to get this
    photo at high noon

http://www.thecanadianmusicscene.com/macnaughtan_grace-africa.html

interview with andrew's friend in world vision cathy cutz at 12:53, warning: very moving and hence inspring

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Radio/1447825254/ID=2190895292

link to andrew's photos
    http://www.andrewmacnaughtan.com/home.html

my free rice link takes you to world vision
    dare you to break my record of 10,000 grains -
    which really is a pittance

sorry sort of about how/long involved this post is, but
    in the history of rock and how andrew helped people
    i think it's not big enough
    if you have some spare time

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Good morning, qt's

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

forgot something
    a song from andrew's fav album

if you have some spare time

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good morning Q folks! Happy Caturday.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

This is my second attempt at starting the day. The first was a couple of hours ago, when the roommates decided we should go for a walk (I must've been half asleep, since I thought 5:56 was 9:56). I have a feeling today will be full of naps.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Redneck Fire Alarm

Thread Information