User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Beware of telephone scams

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Hey everyone, I know this is the wrong place to post but I wanted everyone just to be aware. Moderators - feel free to move to wherever you please (maybe a blog post)?

I got 2 phone calls in the last 2 days. One from someone with a thick Indian accent about my Windows computer sending error reports. I am having lots of computer troubles but I guess they count on most people having them. I questioned them lots and then said I didn't time to talk to them.

The second call was an automated call from that said I won 100,000 airmiles. Sounded fishy so i hung up as well. This made me a little curious because I had just checked out the real Airmiles contest on line yesterday!

Anyway, I googled these both and they are scams. I just didn't want anyone to get duped because apparently people do and give them access to their computers and other personal info.

Stay happy and healthy!
    This thread is currently associated with: Air Miles, Guess, Microsoft

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

we've been called twice about the windows scam.. second time i told them that they are a scam and they hung up on me before i could say anything else
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    101 (100%)

its good to know thanks

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

we have also received calls about computer (don't remember if it was windows) the first time I ranted at them, I was surprised when they called back. This time my husband answered and said he was a computer tech and they hung up immediately.

The ones that worry me are the ones about credit cards or banking, I'm always suspicious but I bet a lot of people aren't.
    if (youreHappy && youKnowIt) {
    clapYourHands();
    }

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I got the call about 100,000 Airmiles, but I got it at work, of all places - I work for National Defence. It started out as an automated call, requesting that I hold for a representative. So I waited. After about 4-5 minutes a representative started reading his script about how I may be able to win 100,000 travel reward points, and then I talked over him. Basically I said something along the lines of, "How did you get this number - this is National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa, Canada - who gave you this number?!" He hung up. LOL.

rainforests of Canada also known as lotus land
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been getting a lot of email scams right in my inbox not the junk,so I don't open anything unless I know who its from.Getting a little parinoid but a lot of these companys are getting an awful lot of information from us for a little freebie and most likely are selling the lists.
    What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments,but what is woven into the lives of others.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I got a call about my computer running slow, told them I didn't have a computer, and that I would call the police if they called again...........as soon as they heard police i heard the click of the phone. My hubby usually answers the phone and I really feel sorry for the jerks on the other end as he does not mince words also if you wait a few seconds before saying hello when answering the phoe, the automated voice will hang up usually saying goodbye

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

i got the windows one 2 times i love how they have an indian accent and there name is jerry... i goggled the number not only was this on global where a woman actualy fell for this had her computer fail on her and her bank drained. but they are actualy calling from india...
    and the airmiles one on my house phone and on the cell me and hubby both share..... i dunno how they got the cell number

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

just IGNORE THEM

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Thanks Grumpy.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been getting the calls about the computer, as well. A man says "hi there, we've been receiving error signals that your computer is seriously corrupted"... and I asked to be removed from their phone list (as i usually just call back the 1-800 numbers to do so, but this has been coming up as "Unknown Name, Unknown Number" on my Caller ID) and he said "it will cost you 186 dollars to do so".... So funny!!! Then I asked some friends about it and they said that he talked about a Windows error and she said "But I have a Mac...." and they hung up. I also heard that if you mention getting the RCMP involved that they won't call back. So I answered the next time that they called and I let him talk for a minute and I told him that I don't even have a computer... and he said "Oh... I'm sorry... sometimes we call the wrong number"... and I've been spam-free ever since!!!! :o) :o)
    Greetings from Newfoundland!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I simply don't answer my phone if it is a number I do not recognize, or is not already programmed into my phone. I figure, if whoever is calling has something important, they will leave a voicemail. At least then, I don't end up wasting my time answering the phone only to find out it's a marketing call or scam.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    72 (100%)

I heard this from my colleague too, but I have never received these calls.. yet! Thanks for the heads up!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by NewfieChick View Post
    I've been getting the calls about the computer, as well. A man says "hi there, we've been receiving error signals that your computer is seriously corrupted"... and I asked to be removed from their phone list (as i usually just call back the 1-800 numbers to do so, but this has been coming up as "Unknown Name, Unknown Number" on my Caller ID) and he said "it will cost you 186 dollars to do so".... So funny!!! Then I asked some friends about it and they said that he talked about a Windows error and she said "But I have a Mac...." and they hung up. I also heard that if you mention getting the RCMP involved that they won't call back. So I answered the next time that they called and I let him talk for a minute and I told him that I don't even have a computer... and he said "Oh... I'm sorry... sometimes we call the wrong number"... and I've been spam-free ever since!!!! :o) :o)
    Whenever it says unknown name I don't even pick up the phone. I figure if it's important or legitimate they'll leave a message.

Trading Score
    117 (100%)

i'm wary of these too...we rarely answer the phone when it rings like an overseas call..unless we recognize the number. even calls during the day...unknown goes to voicemail.
    Imy "Other Money". Join the fun:
    *Swagbucks!!- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Savvy5

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information