User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    239 (100%)

So, we're taking a trip to Florida at the end of August and are still unsure about the strategies about DS, who is 2.

We are thinking of bringing his carseat onto the plane itself, because hey, we paid for his seat, may as well keep him safe. Has anybody flown with carseats on board before? Any suggestions?

I am actually going to call the airlane to find out what their policy is and what they suggest, because I know we can check the carseat under the plane, but don't really want it to get damaged. We are renting a car in Florida, but would rather bring our own seat instead of getting one from the rental place because we don't trust if it's expired, been in an accident, etc...
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I believe you are require to have a car seat. I would bring it on anyways, either way

Smart Canuck...Oh Yeah!!! Koolaid's Avatar
    Trading Score
    145 (100%)

Carseat!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Join Swagbucks and save up for Christmas!!! Message me for help! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Koolaid1977

Please help us raise lots of much needed Autism research funds...donate to my son's walk today here:
    http://asca.convio.net/goto/tyler2016

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not all car seats will work on the plane. You will have to find out if your model is airline compatible.

We have never flown with a car seat on the plane. We always check it because we find it easier to let our daughter sit in the big seat so she is more comfortable and it is easier to go to the bathroom or to stretch her legs. We have a spare seat that we have always used for flying or grandparent visits so we don't worry about checking it.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

ACK! I have this internal debate all the time. First of all it has to be compatible. But if he's 2, you aren't required.

Some of the big carseats dont' fit comfortably into those small airlines seats! You are stuck lugging the darn thing around through airports.

On the plus side it's familiar so it's easier for them to sleep in. And if your bags get lost, you won't be stuck without a carseat (which has happened to me!) And we all know how they handle the luggage underneath!

I find those rental carseats to be a rip off. It's like $20 a day per carseat/booster seat!! If you are going for any extended period of time you could have bought a new one!

I've always wanted to buy a harness. (www.kidsflysafe.com) But I could never justify the cost. But if you can find somewhere that rents them or someone who could lend it to you, them seem awesome.

Anyways pros/cons.....I've always backed out and checked it and never had a problem keeping the kids in their seats when flying.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We traveled with a Britax Boulevard carseat (so one of the larger carseats on the market then). DS had just turned 2, so we had to pay for the seat anyways. It made him more comfortable, IMO and let him sleep. It was a PITA to lug around the airport, but worth it for us. We found it was easier to carry upside down.

On the way back home, we were stopped by a flight attendant so that she could check that the carseat had the special 'certified for air travel' sticker or whatever it's called. We felt it was better to be in our possession than to let it get thrown about with the rest of the luggage and possibly damaged (we read way too may stories before we left!).
    nothingfancy

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

The car seat has to be approved for air travel in order for it to be used on the plane. So in order to use your own car seat, you'd have to make sure it fits the regulations (and that may be different than regulations for car travel). Check the airline's website for information as well as the federal aviation authority for further info on requirements.

If you plan to rent a car once you get there, it might be nice to have your own car seat though. It's a little familiarity from home which can be great when you're in a new place with a little one.

Some airlines may require you to pay for that car seat as baggage and some may not, so it's also worth checking the airline policy on carry on baggage so you're not surprised at the gate if you have to pay for it. Last time we flew, we took a booster because we were renting a car once we got there and it was no charge. Because it was a booster, it just got stored in the overhead compartment along with all the other bags. In the past when we've taken strollers and such, they've been stored up front along with the wheelchairs etc.

We didn't however, ask our kids to sit in their car seats on the plane. They totally loved having the extra room to stretch and squirm and did just fine. In fact, I enjoyed having the extra room too because they didn't occupy all of their own seats, which gave me room to stretch a little in theirs.

Enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by ninna; Sat, Jul 30th, 2011 at 11:37 AM.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody!

I am going to call the airline on Monday, just to make sure we are Ok to take our carseat. Their website says no booster seats, and that's not what we have. We figured we would have him sit in his carseat, mainly because he is a social butterfly, and very, VERY active and would probably go visit everybody (which some people hate the idea of even flying in the same plane as children, let alone being bugged by one)... We are going to be taking a few new toys with us to entertain him, and thankfully the flight is only about 2-3hrs (as opposed to the 8hrs we would have been on if we would have gone to BC, but it's waaaayyyyy too expensive!)

I'll keep you updated on what the airline says!

Trading Score
    149 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    I've always wanted to buy a harness. (www.kidsflysafe.com) But I could never justify the cost. But if you can find somewhere that rents them or someone who could lend it to you, them seem awesome.
    I have those CARES harness for my triplets and Love...Love...Love them. My trio first flight was when they were 2-yrs old (and numerous flights since) and the harness safely secured them to the seats - no fear of flying babies! But educating the airline was a pain in the neck (Sunwing). We brought with us the Transport Canada approval (it was just approved two weeks prior to our trip) and my kids ended up being part of the flight attendants demo.

If you only have one and are bringing your car-seat, check this thing out:
    http://www.gogobabyz.com/products-c2...ravelmate.aspx.

I have a friend who owns it and she loves it - I even called them to ask if they would do a triplet thing. Nope! So with only 2 parents + 3 kids, it was back to the CARES harness for us.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripsplanner View Post
    If you only have one and are bringing your car-seat, check this thing out:
    http://www.gogobabyz.com/products-c2...ravelmate.aspx.
    A patient of mine has this for her developmentally delayed child. She doesn't have a car and takes taxis everywhere. Instead of lugging a stroller too, she uses this! It's been awesome for her!

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

That's a really cool idea! Although, probably not a good idea for us, and a little on the pricey side..

I was looking at that CARES thing online the other day, but again we will be needing our carseat for our rental car, so I'll give them a call in the morning.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

So, I called the airline and they said no carseats are to be brought into the plane, except for being checked (which is free if the child is flying).

So, it's a good thing the flight is only a few hours as opposed to the 8hrs it would have taken to get to BC!!!

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

having done alot of flights (with my now 3.5yr old.. average round trips a year) i'd suggest not bothering bringing your seat onto the plane.. because it's bulky, you have very little room to get it strapped in, you have little time to strap it in even if you board early

sky check it (carry it to the plae put it on the cart, pick it up off the cart at the other end) that way it's gurenteed to get there.. i've seen the horrors of people who have checked their carseat and it not show up on the other end!
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

My daughter, now 12, has flown with us all her life.

She was 11 months old when we went to Hawaii. (talk about a long flight)

When she turned 2 she just took up a regular seat, with no carseat.

For an infant I would say TAKE THE CARSEAT. But for a 2 year old, I would say no.

Never met a dog or coupon I didn't like.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information