User Tag List

Page 461 of 966 FirstFirst ... 361 411 451 459 460 461 462 463 471 511 561 961 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,915 of 14482
Like Tree18432Likes

Thread: Safeway's Sweet AirMiles Deals

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Is collecting airmiles worth?
    If you shop smart like the people here do then a big yes.

I stayed 17 times at Best Western hotels and flew from Houston home last year and the only thing I paid for was the tax on the flight thanks to Airmiles. I even got a few bottles of wine, beer and meals covered at BW.

Thing is you have to learn the tricks here so you're not over paying for a product just because it comes with AMs. People here learn how to buy only when the AMs give them a price advatage over buying elsewhere!
    Last edited by operabob; Mon, Apr 15th, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I made my first purchase at Staples since they started giving AM. Posted super fast! Bought item Saturday afternoon, miles were in my account Sunday morning. Nice.

Ron.
    operabob likes this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

On exactly $60 that would be 20 x 3 = 60 AMs = $6.30 not even counting any bonus AMs you might pick up!

Not sure if this one is showing. Apparently SC sometimes filters pictures copied from Hotmail. Regardless there's a 20Xs base miles offer on minimum $60 purchase Tuesday to Thursday.
    Last edited by operabob; Mon, Apr 15th, 2013 at 03:19 PM.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    174 (100%)

IF you are going to use them, then ya. If not, then no. Don't buy something just cause it has airmiles. Are you going to use that item? Is it cheaper elsewhere? All things to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by venkatkolla View Post
    Is collecting airmiles worth?
    operabob likes this.
    LF: kashi from websaver and 50 cents any cereal printout
    FT: Mann's veg and more! Check out my tradelist/wishlist

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    157 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by operabob View Post
    I think my Special K cracker coupons are still valid so that'll work for me Bob. ;-)
    So i took a total brain fart on this offer! I went in knowing about the airmiles and that I was going to buy them as I had an FPC for one and 2x$1 and brought extra coupons of the $0.50 off but I only bought 3! Might need to go back and return and rebuy to get my airmiles bonus!
    operabob likes this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Venka,

Here's an example of how the AMs can be worth it:

I believe it's a B4G25 on Special K crackers this week.

I have $0.50 coupons making them $2 each.

If I bought 32 boxes (8 multiples of 4: Maximum allowed is 10 multiples or 500 AMs whichever comes first on one particular offer/day) it would cost $64.

I would pick up 60 AMs (20Xs offer) + 200 (25 x 8 multiples) = 260 AMs = real cash value $27.30. (on flights the value could be 2 or 3 times that amount).

I've reduced the cost of the crackers to about $1.20 each. If the best I can get them for elsewhere is after coupons$1.80 then I've a real cash savings in my pocket of $0.60 x 32 or close to $20.

OK this is an extreme example but if you do this with all your products it adds up.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

L-M
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

[QUOTE=jezz;5383534]Saw this while I was wandering around SW this morning and thought it might be a good deal:

Lysol Toilet cleaner Power & Free: $2.49 b6g60 ams=$1.42- $1.00 insert coupon=$.42 plus tax

I keep thinking there is a $1.50 coupon for this...if there is could you let me know!

There is a $1 smartsource Lysol power and free...I didn't see a $1.50
    operabob, GypsyGirl and jezz like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

ET Books for $10.40.

Skip the automatic renewal IMO.
    Hey, thanks for the heads up Bob! This sale is on just for today (Apr 15) so people should act fast. You can order additional books (same city if you want) for $8. There's a $2.50 shipping charge per book. The math works out to basically free if you use the Safeway "spend $50 save $5" coupons that are in each book. You'll have at least 2 valid coupons per book (May-Jul and Aug-Oct) and if the books arrive before the end of this month you might even have time to use the Feb-Apr coupons. Get paid to shop -- gotta love it.

FYI - There are other grocery coupons as well such as T&T supermarkets, IGA stores and M&M meat shops.

Just go to entertainment.com to order.
    Last edited by emax; Mon, Apr 15th, 2013 at 04:16 PM.
    operabob likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Venka,

Here's an example of how the AMs can be worth it:

I believe it's a B4G25 on Special K crackers this week.

I have $0.50 coupons making them $2 each.

If I bought 32 boxes (8 multiples of 4: Maximum allowed is 10 multiples or 500 AMs whichever comes first on one particular offer/day) it would cost $64.

I would pick up 60 AMs (20Xs offer) + 200 (25 x 8 multiples) = 260 AMs = real cash value $27.30. (on flights the value could be 2 or 3 times that amount).

I've reduced the cost of the crackers to about $1.20 each. If the best I can get them for elsewhere is after coupons$1.80 then I've a real cash savings in my pocket of $0.60 x 32 or close to $20.

OK this is an extreme example but if you do this with all your products it adds up.
    OB, I just love your analysis as it always makes my head spin. I think there was a $1 cracker chip coupon that was avail through websaver along with all those boxes of cereals. I managed to get 1. Are these chips any good? Airmiles is also great to use going to places where it would cost you an arm and a leg. For example using them to fly to northern BC places like Terrace, Prince Rupert, etc as there aren't usually any seat sales as I think only 1 major airline like Air Canada flies up there, but if you use Airmiles & book early enough you get go to places like that for around 1100 airmiles during low season. I use to love flying on airmiles all over the place at any time of the year, but now with a preschooler, I don't fly as often.

BTW, since your a financial guy, can you point me in the direction of a few scholarship trust funds? I think I read somewhere on SC about a few scholarship trust funds, but it seems some are better than others & a few people weren't happy with some of them. Of course, it's always best to do some research before we choose. Thanks.
    operabob likes this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

can you point me in the direction of a few scholarship trust funds? I think I read somewhere on SC about a few scholarship trust funds, but it seems some are better than others & a few people weren't happy with some of them. Of course, it's always best to do some research before we choose.
    http://canadianmoneyforum.com/showth...olarship-Trust

If it were me (and I'm not you) I'd be inclined to go with a self directed TD eFund couch potato portfolio as someone suggested in the thread above.

If you're not aware of what a Couch Potato Portfolio is at it's simplest you pick 2 low fee Index Funds: Canadian Bond and Canadian Equity and put the same amount in each 50/50. Once a year rebalance. So if the split has become 60/40 add enough to each so that the balance is again 50/50.

Takes a couple of minutes a year to do and you don't have to be a Guru to do it. The beauty is that it always forces you to buy low.

More info on the Couch Potato Portfolio:

http://www.moneysense.ca/2006/04/05/...-introduction/
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Trading Score
    63 (100%)

I had a chance to get that WindTunnel vac but I already have a Dyson, I hope tomorrow is better on the auction
    operabob likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ya I got a lot of new luggage, You should see our bags from our last trip. I honestly thought I was going to have to buy a new one during my travels. Ten year warranty my butt! Maybe if you take one flight in ten years.
    operabob likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://canadianmoneyforum.com/showth...olarship-Trust

If it were me (and I'm not you) I'd be inclined to go with a self directed TD eFund couch potato portfolio as someone suggested in the thread above.

If you're not aware of what a Couch Potato Portfolio is at it's simplest you pick 2 low fee Index Funds: Canadian Bond and Canadian Equity and put the same amount in each 50/50. Once a year rebalance. So if the split has become 60/40 add enough to each so that the balance is again 50/50.

Takes a couple of minutes a year to do and you don't have to be a Guru to do it. The beauty is that it always forces you to buy low.

More info on the Couch Potato Portfolio:

http://www.moneysense.ca/2006/04/05/...-introduction/
    Great advice (as usual) Bob! Of course I'd say that, because this is what I tend to do myself

Another tidbit that is sort of relevant to this tread: Since the deterioration of Airmiles value in the past year or two, I keep looking for the best way to redeem them (flights don't work for us). We've typically redeemed for Best Western gift cards, something I know you do as well, but last time I converted them into a BMO Investment Voucher. Same valuation - a $500 voucher costs you 4750 airmiles - but I took the vouchers up to my local BMO office and put them into my kids' RESP, which generated a 20% grant from the government. That was also the same time BMO was offering the 300 airmiles promo so it was a good deal all round. Note that you don't have to put the voucher towards an RESP, it can be any number of eligible plans, but taking into account the 20% CESG grant it gets good value from your airmiles.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Another tidbit that is sort of relevant to this tread: Since the deterioration of Airmiles value in the past year or two, I keep looking for the best way to redeem them (flights don't work for us). We've typically redeemed for Best Western gift cards, something I know you do as well, but last time I converted them into a BMO Investment Voucher. Same valuation - a $500 voucher costs you 4750 airmiles - but I took the vouchers up to my local BMO office and put them into my kids' RESP, which generated a 20% grant from the government. That was also the same time BMO was offering the 300 airmiles promo so it was a good deal all round. Note that you don't have to put the voucher towards an RESP, it can be any number of eligible plans, but taking into account the 20% CESG grant it gets good value from your airmiles.
    I'm putting this up on the DRIP website!
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Earn 100
    Bonus reward miles

Earn 100 Bonus AIR MILES® reward miles with a minimum $100* grocery purchase at Safeway!

Offer Valid: April 19 - 21, 2013

PLU# 51121
    Expires: April 21, 2013
    Terms and Conditions

*Limit one Bonus Offer per day. Coupon must be presented at time of purchase. Purchase must be made in a single transaction. AIR MILES coupons cannot be combined with any other discount offer or AIR MILES coupon offer including Customer Appreciation Day & Senior's Day. Not valid at Safeway Liquor Stores. Coupon excludes prescriptions, diabetes merchandise, insulin pumps, insulin pump supplies, blood pressure monitors, tobacco, transit passes, gift cards, enviro levies, bottle deposits and sales tax. Other exclusions apply. See Customer Service for complete list of exclusions.

®™ Trademarks of AIR MILES International Trading B.V. Used under license by LoyaltyOne, Inc. and Canada Safeway.
    operabob likes this.

Thread Information