User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AKE View Post
    People are saying this is a great thread...it should be removed. This should not be encouraged!
    I don't know what bins you are referring to...but this post implies that you're going around your own neighborhood - any bin on private property - yes in front of someone's house, even in their back alley is off limits.
    Before you get into it with me about once it's thrown out it's fair game...go read your city bylaws! And go search many of the other posts where people have talked about this. It's called scavenging, and it is illegal and you can get fined for it.
    Not to mention it is not very neighborly to be going through someone else's 'trash'.
    If I saw a coupon sticking out, I would totally grab it! But I think diging through peoples 'stuff' without permission is an invasion of privacy. It would be a better idea to make friends with your neighbours and ask them to save you their coupons.

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

hum... what it is for people going with a pick-up on the garbage day to take metal item to sell at the scrap recycling metal place? It is really different?
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

=^.^=
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Great Post.

Box tops - any 3 ( Nutri-Grain bars, Pop-tarts, Fibre Plus bars, All bran bars, Special K bars ) for the $ 5.00 gas card.
    Schneiders LunchMates - Pins inside.
    Taco Kits - with free kraft shredded cheese
    Stoffers-Reward Pins
    Nestea Iced-Tea contains with the $10.00 coupons on outside of tin.
    Carnation Hot Chocolate - boxes or Tins - have $8.00 coupons.
    Silk Milk - Kashi Bars.
    All sorts of cereal cartons - free products from Egos to banannas, stawberries, chapmans ice-cream, and addition cereal coupons.
    Tons of coupons available that people just don't even think about using and they just toss them in their recycle box, totally free for the taking. Help yourself and enjoy your coupons, saving money is great. Free is always nice.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    55 (100%)

Yes each house has its own recycle bin and sometimes 2 or 3 at each house.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    597 (100%)

Every city is different, in mind from what I understand that once it is out it is considered public property and so anyone can grab items. I don't usually dig into the bins unless something really catches my eye. Also, when I see a person I asked them.

Bargain Hunter
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Juliep_coupons View Post
    Awesome!! Thanks for posting this!!

I have always wanted to do a "recycling walk" but I don't have the courage! lol I would have to do it really late at night so know one saw me! lol Awesome finds!!

OH THIS SOUNDS LIKE ME! I want to go recycle bin walking also but I got a wierd look one time when i tried and was so embarassed I never did it again. I would have to set my alarm for 2am or something..... LOL

Trading Score
    150 (100%)

I honestly see taking an empty cereal box from a bin no differently then a person taking a broken futon frame for the scrap metal or someone taking a piece of furniture to re-purpose.
    I've had people stop at my curbside and take an old bicycle, an old printer, a broken cat carrier, a variety of things. I'm glad it's not going into the landfill, if someone else can use it or wants to take the time to sell it why not?
    My FIL uses recycling bags on plastic days. He drinks alot of soda and theres ALWAYS someone who stops and takes his bags for the cans to get money back.

Another thing to add to the list of what to look for:
    -hamburger helper boxes with the 3.00 ground beef coupon (one of my fave coupons)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    597 (100%)

Thanks peeps! I just wish if people didn't have anything nice to say, that they shouldn't say anything at all.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just talked to the bylaw enforcement for my city (I live in Kingston ON) who told me that removing anything from a blue/grey recycling box is not theft here. They do not separate the deposit bottles from recyclable glass here. So if some one puts a 40oz clear glass booze bottle in their blue box, it only has the value of the clear glass and is not re-used as a liquor bottle.

The guys that pick up the glass in my neighbourhood break it as they throw it into the recycle truck. I think it is better that we "freecycle" the beer and liquor bottles to be re-used as beer and liquor bottles, rather than to be lumped in with a bunch of broken mayonaise jars. Freecycling at least saves the energy it would take to melt, process and clean the glass.

I have to say that the old guy with the shopping cart who goes around picking up empty bottles in my neighbouthood makes a lot less noise than the recycling truck does in the morning.

So AKE, you are incorrect from both a legal standpoint and an environmental one. Mabe you should contact your city's bylaw enforcement office to find out what happens to the recycle stuff where you live.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by mckbutterfly View Post
    I've had people stop at my curbside and take an old bicycle, an old printer, a broken cat carrier, a variety of things. I'm glad it's not going into the landfill, if someone else can use it or wants to take the time to sell it why not?
    ditto

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 2010ontest View Post
    hum... what it is for people going with a pick-up on the garbage day to take metal item to sell at the scrap recycling metal place? It is really different?
    Exactly!! I thrown out lots of stuff hoping someone will find it useful.

BritChick
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Where i live the recycling is collected in blue bags and I wouldn't dream of opening those and rifling through.

However when i go to the recycle station and see coupons poking out I might take them whenI put my stuff in!...

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by army_girl29 View Post
    Thanks peeps! I just wish if people didn't have anything nice to say, that they shouldn't say anything at all.
    I disagree
    This is an open forum and everyone is allowed to give his/her opinion, I am a member of quite a few forums of varying topics and I can honestly say that SC probably has the most tolerant members when it comes to differing views.

Quite a few of the forums that I am a member of, as soon as someone has a different view, it turns into ten pages of bashing and generally what would have been an interesting/valuable discussion gets railroaded.

We shouldn't discourage anyone from posting their opinion whether we agree with them or not.

I think I am on the fence on this issue, I wouldn't open someone else bag of garbage or a box that is closed, however if I seen a coupon sticking out on top, I'd probably be willing to take it providing I didn't have a big audience watching.

As far as the bins go, I don't see the harm in it provided you leave it as neat & tidy as you found it

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    597 (100%)

This topic is for people that are interested in recycle bin walking and want to know what to look for. If you aren't interested in that, feel free to read, but please do not post.

Thanks

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I recycle walk every week.

My only rule is: leave the blue box as you've found it - or even better than you found it.

Never met a dog or coupon I didn't like.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information