User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by kanewtz View Post
    I have been on TOU billing for over a year now.

How someone can have $200+ is beyond me. Perhaps it is time to upgrade applicances to energy efficient ones.
    I haven`t had a bill under $200 in years...insulated to the max...new windows and doors...all energy star appliances...stupid twisty lights that never last...and soon they`re gonna add TOU !!!!! all I can do now is and with 2 grandkids on the way(1 permanent the other temp. with us) next summer will be a ....only 3 of us for now but we`re all on different shifts (I`m retired) so everything is on all the time. Oh well, we`ll manage, but they got another increase..even the off peak rate is higher than what we pay now..I think
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
    I have nothing to do today and hope to be half done by noon.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

We`ve been on it for a long time. It is inconvenient, laundry on the weekends and at night. I`m at home during the day so it would be nice to do it then. I don`t mind running the dishwasher at night, I set the timer. In the summer we hang our clothes outside, in the winter we use the dryer. That debt retirement charge really bugs me. Nobody helps us pay our debt. Our bills usually run around $200, somewhat less in the summer unless we need the AC a lot.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

The worst is if you have electrical heating in the house as opposed to natural gas heating .

The natural gas prices are at a historic low so its the cheapest for heating your house .

You can even get a natural gas line installed for cooking so that you can cook on a gas cooking range as opposed to electric cooking range .

Trading Score
    90 (100%)

We get our Hydro Bill every 2 months which includes water and I didn't even post that info. Wow 59.77 is that including HST and all the delivery charges etc? It also depends on how many people are in your home, and how big your home is etc.
    Here is some of what we do house built in 1997 1500sq ft with a 1000 + sq feet unfinished basement.

We don't put the heat on during the day until 7pm
    We don't have a dishwasher
    We hang all our clothes
    We unplug everything we can
    We use Energy Saver light bulbs
    No TV until after 7pm
    Heating after 7pm
    Use a rain Barrell
    DH has checked over entire house to make sure everything he can see is sealed
    We are in the process of changing to Gas stove but only cook after 7pm or use a toaster oven or grill pan or we bulk cook on the weekend.
    Showers are max 15 mins long
    No one takes baths
    We don't use lights during the day and at night before seven just use the stove light and candles ( doesn't help much but the house still smells pretty
    We only do laundry once a week max 2 loads in cold water only.
    Purchased an energy efficent AC this summer.
    Our water heater is a polaris and our furnace runs from this. He made a chart on the furnace of when he checks and replaces the filter and buys a good quality filter although this could be another subject on its own.

I almost feel as if I am being regulated by the governement on how to live OR pay the price.. It's your decision! It's an adjusment for sure but I'm going to keep on doing what we are doing just to keep money in our pockets! Next year we will look at spray foaming as much as the house as we can and any other energy efficient improvements we can make.

Even at $125 as someone else posted for their last bill is, well, amazing. I just don't understand with all the service charges how it can be so low. Maybe I'm missing something or other cities don't have the same charges I do.

Quote Originally Posted by kanewtz View Post
    I have been on TOU billing for over a year now.

Last bill for the month was $59.77. Not too shabby.

I find I am anywhere between 60-100 a month depending on how much laundry is done/in the summer the A/C.

How someone can have $200+ is beyond me. Perhaps it is time to upgrade applicances to energy efficient ones.
    Last edited by watergirl73; Fri, Nov 4th, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
    Join Swagbucks Today!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/watergirl73
    I've made $50 how easy is that!
    Trade List and Wish List 2011

Trading Score
    90 (100%)

That is so true tjthemanto and we plan on getting rid of the electric range and installing the pretty gas one we have been dusting since 2009. Gas Cookers are simply amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    The worst is if you have electrical heating in the house as opposed to natural gas heating .

The natural gas prices are at a historic low so its the cheapest for heating your house .

You can even get a natural gas line installed for cooking so that you can cook on a gas cooking range as opposed to electric cooking range .
    Join Swagbucks Today!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/watergirl73
    I've made $50 how easy is that!
    Trade List and Wish List 2011

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

Can I ask a question (can't seem to find the answer)...I thought I read that once the smart meters were installed and fully operational, that you would be able to get actual usage readings online at any given time. Is this correct (or did I make it up)?

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Does everyone get charged the same price off, mid, and on peak hours? Ours is 0.059 for off peak, 0.089 mid peak and 0.107 for on peak.

I haven't replaced a twisty light in over three years, and we have the old style electric range (probably not very efficient). We don't turn off the heat when we leave the house, but I'm appreciating that our bill is not as high as it could be.

I would also like not thinking about how much money I'm spending if I have a day off work in turning on our massive power sucking monitor. I miss the pre-TOU days.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by deevious View Post
    Can I ask a question (can't seem to find the answer)...I thought I read that once the smart meters were installed and fully operational, that you would be able to get actual usage readings online at any given time. Is this correct (or did I make it up)?
    It says on our bill that if you sign up for their online account inquiry, you can view your hourly and daily consumption.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

^ Whew...I didn't make it up! Thanks so much

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by deevious View Post
    Yes in Ottawa you log into the Hydro Ottawa site, and look at your comsumption by hour. Its amazing you can tell the exact time you used the oven, or turn on the dryer etc.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by watergirl73 View Post
    We have our programmable thermostat to increase the heat before waking in the morning, before coming home and before going to sleep. It's on just enough time to heat the house comfortably and then goes down.
    Dishwashers are more efficient on water and heat usage according to Consumers Report. We don't use ours daily. We use the energy efficient cycle.
    We hang all our clothes
    We do this too.
    We do this too. We also don't have electric clocks. We use batteries, especially when you can buy them for nearly nothing with sales and coupons. Anthing that can be used with a battery, we do that, and save electricity cost.
    We do this too.
    We have a timer on our water heater. So it heats the water before we get up to shower in the morning and before we do dishes in the evening or on the weekend. The water in the tank is not being heated when we are not at home.
    We don't use lights during the day and at night before seven just use the stove light and candles ( doesn't help much but the house still smells pretty

What do you think about those energy efficient night lights placed around the house instead of candles? IMO, candles scare me. But, that's just me.
    We used our air conditioning for the worst two weeks in July. That's it.
    We stay outside as long as possible. We go to the library or mall where it's cool. The library is great since they have free internet and you can bring your own laptop. Lots of books, newspapers, magazines for everyone's tastes regardless of age.
    I think you are doing some great things already.
    Some public libraries will loan the power meters to see where power is being stolen from your house ( excessive use of power). This way you know which appliances and gagets are the worst. You borrow like your borrow library books.

We pay similar to kanewtz. We're in Oshawa and have had TOU for a while.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sat, Nov 5th, 2011 at 08:39 AM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I think you are doing some great things already.
    Some public libraries will loan the power meters to see where power is being stolen from your house ( excessive use of power). This way you know which appliances and gagets are the worst. You borrow like your borrow library books.

Even though your basement is not finished, it is probably cooler in the summer than above ground floors. You are great with kijiji deals, so you wont have a problem furnishing the basement.

We pay similar to kanewtz. We're in Oshawa and have had TOU for a while.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Does anyone know, if you live near a nuclear plant, does your price for hydro decrease.
    Oshawa is sandwiched between the Pickering Nuclear and Darlington Nuclear. So, do we get a cheaper rate?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Kill-o-watt kits through the library systems were fairly ubiquitous about 3 years ago. Don't know if they still circulate in the Hamilton system as I cannot find the catalogue listing.

Clock switch from Savings Time to Standard Time happens tonight-1h extra hour of snooze time!

Those hydro debt retirement charges (they will be on for about 9more years!) + HST are a moneymaker for the Ontario government. Does not help that hydro rates went up for November--we need to watch the Ontario Energy Board website for rate notices or the local papers-every quarter it seems a hydro utility is adjusting prices.
    Time-of-Use Prices
    As of November 1, 2011, most Hydro One customers across the province will be on Time-of-Use (TOU) pricing and will be taking full advantage of the benefits of their smart meter. As part of the Ontario Energy Board's Regulated Price Plan, TOU electricity prices are reviewed and adjusted every six months if necessary. To learn more, read the OEB's Spring 2011 Newsletter (aussi disponible en français).
    Regulated Price Plan Time-of-Use Prices
    Off-peak Price: 6.2 ¢/kWh Mid-peak Price: 9.2 ¢/kWhOn-peak Price: 10.8 ¢/kWh
    For more information about Time-of-Use prices, visit our
    TOU section or the OEB's website.

Regulated Price Plan (RPP) Prices

For the small number of Hydro One customers (approximately 150,000) not yet switched to Time-of-Use prices, RPP electricity prices and seasonal price thresholds will still be in effect. RPP prices will continue to be reviewed and adjusted by the OEB every six months (on May 1st and November 1st).
    On November 1, 2011, RPP prices change to 7.1 cents per kWh for electricity use up to a certain threshold per month and 8.3 cents per kWh for consumption above that threshold. These prices will be in effect for six months until April 30, 2012 and are reflected on the Electricity line on your bill. Hydro One passes these charges to our customers with no mark up or profit.
    http://www.hydroone.com/RegulatoryAf...ityPrices.aspx
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by watergirl73 View Post
    We get our Hydro Bill every 2 months which includes water and I didn't even post that info. Wow 59.77 is that including HST and all the delivery charges etc? It also depends on how many people are in your home, and how big your home is etc.
    Here is some of what we do house built in 1997 1500sq ft with a 1000 + sq feet unfinished basement.

We hang all our clothes
    No TV until after 7pm
    Heating after 7pm
    Use a rain Barrell
    DH has checked over entire house to make sure everything he can see is sealed
    We are in the process of changing to Gas stove but only cook after 7pm or use a toaster oven or grill pan or we bulk cook on the weekend.
    No one takes baths
    We only do laundry once a week max 2 loads in cold water only.
    Our water heater is a polaris and our furnace runs from this. He made a chart on the furnace of when he checks and replaces the filter and buys a good quality filter although this could be another subject on its own.

I almost feel as if I am being regulated by the governement on how to live OR pay the price.. It's your decision! It's an adjusment for sure but I'm going to keep on doing what we are doing just to keep money in our pockets! Next year we will look at spray foaming as much as the house as we can and any other energy efficient improvements we can make.

Even at $125 as someone else posted for their last bill is, well, amazing. I just don't understand with all the service charges how it can be so low. Maybe I'm missing something or other cities don't have the same charges I do.
    Is the heating in your house through electricity & not natural gas ???

If that's the case & on top of it your bill includes water ..so that might be the reason why your bill is so high .

All the other people whose bills are low have natural gas heating & the water heater is also natural gas water heater ( not electric )

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information