User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi All, I am thinking about getting my wife an e-reader for Christmas, however, it seems that each device has their obvious pros and cons.

I originally thought the Amazon Kindle, except the device is only available in the US or online, the new devices doesn't have a keyboard and their D-Pad and Touch version uses A-B-C-D format rather than QWERTY, so I know it would drive her nuts.

Then I looked at the Kobo's and even went into Chapters. Their online reviews on Chapters.ca for their VOX was atrocious, however, their Touch version had decent reviews. When I went to the store only 1 out of 6 of the demo devices actually worked, and the one that did was slow, the salesperson in the store even admitted that he has never bought a Kobo, only Kindles.

I then went to Bestbuy to look at the Sony and it seemed like a good deal but the demo was not working.

What should I do?!?!

Thanks,
    pmalloy
    This thread is currently associated with: Amazon.ca & Amazon.com, Best Buy, Indigo Chapters Coles Bookstore, Sony Style

Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I have a classic Kindle (one of the first) and I love it. We use it a ton and love it - however, you're right, it's US only. We are lucky and live in a border city so he shipped to his best friend's house in Michigan.

I have heard the Sony is very good as well though.
    "Call it magic, call it true/I call it magic when I'm with you" - Coldplay, Magic

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

The Sony e-reader seems to be compatible with most book formats, libraries, etc. Maybe get in touch with the companies to tell them their demos aren't working and do they have abetter suggestion for trying them out. Do you have any friends who have a Kobo or Sony?
    Last edited by AmberLab; Tue, Dec 6th, 2011 at 10:30 PM.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

also take into consideration what she will be reading and where she will get her books from.. most local libraries now have ebooks, but from what i know you cannot use these on a kindle, but you can on most other readers, is having internet on the reader important?? or is it simply a reading device.. i'd suggest looking for one that has e-ink, it is easier on the eyes.. i personally have a sony (older model about a year and a half now.. they have only gotten better since i bought mine and i love mine!)

things i love about the sony is i can use books from any source (aka i can download books like i download my music and put it on my reader), it has a card slot to extend the memory (but if the reader has 2gigs in it thats easily thousands of books space, i find it rare that a book is much over the 1 mb mark), it can play audio books (has a jack for it) i use a program called calibre (it's a free program found online) to organize my books the program will also convert books from most formats into the most commonly used format (epub) i can also put pdfs on the reader, and word doc's, and free books i get from the library
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i have heard some negative things about the kobo (if the choice is between the two i'd go sony over kobo BUT you do pay for the difference!) a flaw to the two is the price difference! the sony is more expensive, and accessories are also more expensive (i'd suggest whatever reader you get, you get a case for it)
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

My Mom has a Kobo and loves it. DBF and I have had a Kindle for awhile and love that. We played with a Kobo last year and really didn't like it as much. I have to say the keys have never bothered me on the Kindle and it's barely out of reach. Love it! And it came in pretty much less than 24 hours ordered online, and Amazon's associates are amazing to deal with, so I wouldn't be too worried about ordering it online.

Follow me on Pinterest!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My son bought me the Vox ereader touch from kobo its in color has all the features of a tablet and you can expand it as you can add files it has a usb port you can place a usb stick in, Ive downloaded free books wireless not hooked to a computer from the store and bought some they're customer service although not fast is superb there is a facebook app and radio on it as well as dictionary scrabble and many other apps, any of the issues theyve had was depending on how many apps you download you can delete some to speed it up you really dont need as many as they give you and uts like having a tablet it was my first ebook reader and I adore it now, they will work with you on the phone or online if you need anything I had an issue with my emails being similar for facebook and gmail and bc I purchased a book on one of my emails and not the one i was signed into (duh) it took two days to get it transferred over by their support team they amalgamated the accts and included any books i had previewed for free on my acct for the inconvienence there was like 20 books they more than made up for any disatiisfaction !!!! I love my Kobo ereader Vox in color . I read at night and need no book light unlike the kindle and previous kobos as well !!!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sulkyblonde View Post
    My son bought me the Vox ereader touch from kobo its in color has all the features of a tablet and you can expand it as you can add files it has a usb port you can place a usb stick in, Ive downloaded free books wireless not hooked to a computer from the store and bought some they're customer service although not fast is superb there is a facebook app and radio on it as well as dictionary scrabble and many other apps, any of the issues theyve had was depending on how many apps you download you can delete some to speed it up you really dont need as many as they give you and uts like having a tablet it was my first ebook reader and I adore it now, they will work with you on the phone or online if you need anything I had an issue with my emails being similar for facebook and gmail and bc I purchased a book on one of my emails and not the one i was signed into (duh) it took two days to get it transferred over by their support team they amalgamated the accts and included any books i had previewed for free on my acct for the inconvienence there was like 20 books they more than made up for any disatiisfaction !!!! I love my Kobo ereader Vox in color . I read at night and need no book light unlike the kindle and previous kobos as well !!!!
    Can you actually go online with this to check emails? I'm thinking about getting an ereader also but would like the capability of keeping in touch when travelling and also one that is compatible with libraries.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@ Tmalloy and TinkB...

The Kindle is *NOT* a US-Only product... The Kindle *IS* available in Canada.

The only exception is the Kindle Fire because the Amazon App store and Video streaming, MP3, and cloud storage (all key features of the Fire) are not available in Canada, so they don't sell it to Canadians.

However, all "Traditional" Kindles ARE ABSOLUTELY available to Canadians... You do have to order from Amazon.com, but they WILL ship to Canada. (Any model excpet the Fire, as I have already mentioned)

You should revisit the Amazon Kindle store if that's the one you're keen on:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00.../ref=sv_kinh_0

Also, The keyboard model *IS* still available... if you require that model.

ALSO, if you don't want to order it online, THE SOURCE carries them as well, in store:
    http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...roduct=2510839

(check in-store availability... every store in my area currently shows inventory)

---- Edit after the fact: ---

I have just noticed in this weeks flyer that Staples is also carrying the Kindle... and they do carry the newer models AND the keyboard models (as per their ad page online) -- although in-store only.

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Static/sta...Keyword=kindle
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Thu, Dec 8th, 2011 at 10:30 AM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Another option could be the $199 BlackBerry playbook (if you can find one). That way she can get the apps for all the different e-book readers as well as use it to surf the internet, check her email, etc. I use my iPad all the time for reading and love that I can get all the books for Kindle, Kobo and use my Library app. Different apps have different free books on them.

Reading on the backlight screen takes some getting used to. We also have an older Kobo in the house and the e-ink screen is very nice but I really like being able to read in the dark. We got my Mom a pangidital kobo touch one for xmas last year and she LOVES reading in the dark but the thing is very very slow - that is why I recommened something like the Blackberry Playbook - it is going to be much faster. Thought I haven't tried the new Kobo touch.
    Create a safer home, save money & space by cleaning with Norwex. Ask me for more details!
    my blog - imonglue.com

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes you can go online with it whether its Twitter/ Facebook/ Gmail or randomly search sites it has wifi connectivity you just need to make sure you have the modem and internet service from your provider

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

to be able to get books from the library you have to dl to your computer though with their program then transfer over I did hear they are coming up with some way to do it thats more compatible with the new e reader ...... there is many books you can get from the kobo store itself for free as well no connection required .... Hope this helps ...

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello all,

Thanks all for the information. I think I know which direction I am going to go.

It is definitely interesting how people's reviews can be so divided and that there are true supporters for each brand. However, maybe not, considering all of the brands earn millions of dollars off of their products.

For others who find themselves in a similar dilemma as this one, the below is further information that could be helpful to you:

- The Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3rd Generation) is sold out on Amazon's website. They are also not available at any nearby Best Buy locations in the US. However, thank you to BHLombardy, they are available at The Source. Interesting news is that you can get the 3G/Wifi Model for $209.99. Which provides you FREE 3G coverage with no sign up required. I am a bit skeptical if the 3G does work in Canada because The Source is the only company who sells the product in Canada and the salesperson I spoke to didn't seem to know anything about it.

- The Blackberry Playbook is no longer available for $199.99. The reason is unknown as to why they no longer offer it at that price, but you can safely assume that there was a surprising amount of interest in the product at that price. A salesperson at Best Buy told me that the promotion was supposed to exist until the middle of the month, but was taken off randomly. He also told me that the stores would be sold out by 11AM the day they had it in stock and that he doesn't think the store sold any other brand of tablet during the time that the promotion was on for.

If you are in desperate need of a Blackberry Playbook, the least expensive you can find it now is at The Source for $299.99. (IF ANYONE KNOWS OF SOMEWHERE THAT STILL HAS IT FOR $199.99, PLEASE LET ME KNOW)

Thanks again to all that has posted, this has been a huge help!

pmalloy
    Last edited by pmalloy; Wed, Dec 7th, 2011 at 03:20 PM.

Trading Score
    245 (100%)

We got my sons Sony ereader pocket edition at Walmart last Christmas for about $79ish Price tag said $149 so I was shocked when it rang in at $79. It works great and he loves it. So I would check Wal Mart. Very easy to download to, and it accepts all different types of files!
    Get a full pair of glasses for as little as $29! The only place I buy my glasses. Super easy returns too - http://www.clearly.ca/refer/valerie

I love making my own beauty products and saving money. Go to http://www.well.ca and enter promo code panthera and save $10 on your first order.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by pmalloy View Post
    - The Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3rd Generation) is sold out on Amazon's website. They are also not available at any nearby Best Buy locations in the US. However, thank you to BHLombardy, they are available at The Source. Interesting news is that you can get the 3G/Wifi Model for $209.99. Which provides you FREE 3G coverage with no sign up required. I am a bit skeptical if the 3G does work in Canada because The Source is the only company who sells the product in Canada and the salesperson I spoke to didn't seem to know anything about it.
    The 3G DOES work in Canada... it works world wide (wherever there is 3G coverage anyway). Just note that there are differences in what types of services are and are not free... (Book orders and delivery are free to yourKindle... Magazine subscriptions and attachement emails are NOT. You will pay via your Amazon account for those)

That being said, I have the 3G version, and if I had it to do over again, I'd buy the wifi only version. I have no use for the 3G as I have wifi at home, at work, and anywhere that I might want to order a book. You dont need 3G to use the Kindle, just to order and have a book delivered "anywhere" you are. If you can wait until you're home or near wifi to order a book, save the extra expense and get the wifi only edition.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Wed, Dec 7th, 2011 at 06:34 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information