User Tag List

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by itchy54 View Post
    hey valiant, did not mean to sound disrespectful....
    Why are you not collecting a disability pension? If you are disabled and cannot work you are certainly entitled if you have contributed to CPP over the years
    http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/oas-cpp/c...ty/index.shtml
    ....YOu are living far below the poverty line and i am sure there is help out there...
    No, you are mistaken; there is no help out there for people like me. That is one reason why there are homeless people; our government does not know our circumstances, and many of us fall through the cracks.
    Rules for CPP have changed at various times, and it is only recently that the self-employed could even contribute. We were also cut out of the Income Tax Employment Tax Benefit for awhile, as the government's oversight for the self-employed, including farmers, failed to acknowledge our circumstances and work. They have now rectified this.

To explain, I am not entitled to a disability pension because I have not been able to contribute very much into CPP. I've worked consistently over 25 years as a self-employed music teacher, plus various other part-time jobs, and as a volunteer for 35 years, while raising 3 children alone, my youngest with a learning disability (and no supports) which kept me in the home. I worked 7 AM to 11 PM, 7 days a week, including every holiday, except Christmas Day, but my work hours and days were always subject to change by the parents and students needs. I had 2-18 students per year, with earnings of about $6,000 per year gross income at best. However, I was still able to save a total of $7,000 in my Emergency Fund for retirement, and would have continued to save about $1,000 or more per year. But in 2007 I was crippled head to toe by my flu shot, which continues to impact my hands and body, and I'm losing students every year now, with 2 left at present; though I do my utmost to continue with my work. I do have the possibility of Division of Pension Credits, but the government has now created a penalty on receiving early pension at age 60, by clawing back 70 % of these credits; it used to be a 50 % penalty.

At this point, I have about $5,000 left in my Emergency Fund in the bank, earn about $200 per month for 7 months of the year, and less than that in September, December, June, with nothing in the summer when the students are on vacation, though I do offer summer lessons, and baked for the Farmer's Market for 5 years before I was crippled, pushing a small cart to the location and back. Daily life is a terrible struggle with this constant pain and crippled condition, but I am committed to making the most of my life, regardless. In the 4 devastating years of my illness, I have never received any practical help from the doctors or health care system. I bought a used walking cane for $20, and learned how to walk again. One of my students found an old medical walker at a yard sale, bought it for $10, and I paid her back for it, so I am able to get out of the house to transport my groceries and water on it. I have no vehicle.

There are many, many more people like me...people who gave all they had to be homemakers, caregivers, volunteers in school, church and community. All of this is unpaid, unrecognized work. And for this service to our families, communities and country, we are now some of the most vulnerable people in Canada financially. The OAS was set up to be a source of income security to protect the aged and vulnerable persons of Canada by providing a small pension to them to meet their basic needs for survival. The GIS was set up to coincide with the time that a person qualifies for OAS, to add to the OAS according to the scale determined to provide for basic needs. If the age eligibility is increased by 2 more years, this will cut needy people off from being able to access both of these Pensions when they desperately need them.
    ( Valiant, the valley-ant )

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Valiant,
    Do you file tax returns and/or receive the GST credit? You've been able to make contributions to CPP for self-employed for a long time, at least 30 years anyway.

Your situation is horrible right now; I really empathize with you. I can certainly see your frustration when you see retirement so close and then yanked away. Have you looked at all other options?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
    One of my students found an old medical walker at a yard sale, bought it for $10, and I paid her back for it, so I am able to get out of the house to transport my groceries and water on it. I have no vehicle.
    My goodness! I couldn't imagine having to go grocery shopping/having to do an emergency run in our weather without some sort of vehicular device Our winters must be brutal for you. As terrible as people make Winnipeg Transit out to be, at least I still have something to get me from point A to point B. How far do you usually have to walk??

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
    To those who complain that they are paying into a pension that they will not collect from themselves, I ask you...could you live on $3 - $4 thousand a year. Haven't you been enjoying all your lives the best that this country could offer you, on the backs of the Seniors who build up Canada for future generations to enjoy. We worked for a dollar a day, 6 days a week, for 18 hour days, no benefits, no system in place to fall back on. We slaved to provide you with a home, education, jobs, benefits, rights and freedoms, a future. How many of you spend over $500 (a Seniors' monthly OAS pension amount) in a bar or restaurent in a few nights, or on a designer haircut, manicure, pedicure, body piercing, a few CD's, DVD's, a couple of items of designer clothing, a party, on a dose or two of an illegal drug?
    You should be ashamed of yourselves to ever complain about the support that goes to Seniors, when you squander money like you do. My advice to you: stop wasting your money, make the most of it and every opportunity that you have to earn it, be willing to contribute your fair share towards our country, and start squirrelling money away for your own retirement, because never before in the history of Canada have things been so good for you to be in a position to earn a living, unlike the circumstances of your elders.

Our government, which spends our money like water, and then comes after the vulnerable Seniors when the coffers are empty, doesn't know and/or doesn't care about the real circumstances of Seniors in Canada. In truth, most Seniors have contributed a lifetime to the building up of our country throughout faithful service to their families, churches, schools, communities and businesses, work which has largely gone unacknowledged and unrewarded.
    But Seniors are going to let government know with GREY POWER, and we want the support of the public as well.
    Here, here!

I totally agree with you Valiant. I'm a youngin' just nearing thirty, but I grew up surrounded by my great great aunties and definitely understand where you are coming from. These women spent their lives working hard in the home, churches, schools, community and during their decades of retirement (and these aunties lived into their 80s and 90s) had very little to live on. They were tough, strong, and wonderful women, but they deserved better!

I think there is a huge disconnect between the people in charge of this country and the average Canadian. They've never had to worry about whether they had enough money to heat their house in the winter, or whether they could afford groceries that week.

I think it's time to call our MP's folks, and let them know that we don't support this.
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    Valiant,
    Do you file tax returns and/or receive the GST credit? You've been able to make contributions to CPP for self-employed for a long time, at least 30 years anyway.

Your situation is horrible right now; I really empathize with you. I can certainly see your frustration when you see retirement so close and then yanked away. Have you looked at all other options?
    I've been filing tax returns since 1980. No, I have not been able to make contributions to CPP for self-employment most years, because my gross and net income has often been below my personal deductible of $3,500.
    There have been a few years when it was $4,000 - $5,000 net, and I contributed in those years, but that wouldn't amount to much as a pension.

My situation isn't horrible right now, but it will be when my EF runs out, and I have no more employment or income. There are no other options. My town has zero tolerance for welfare, and a zero budget for it.
    I do not qualify for provincial assistance, having no children under age 5, and not having a mental disability, which are the only 2 qualifications since the system was 'revamped' many years ago. I'm not interested in social assistance anyway.

I always believed I had a chance to make it to retirement in spite of my personal challenges and set-backs, but Mr. Harper is going to yank the rug out from under me, and many others like me.
    Too bad for us all that he needs another rug.
    Last edited by Valiant; Tue, Jan 31st, 2012 at 05:36 PM.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sotsuguyou View Post
    My goodness! I couldn't imagine having to go grocery shopping/having to do an emergency run in our weather without some sort of vehicular device Our winters must be brutal for you. As terrible as people make Winnipeg Transit out to be, at least I still have something to get me from point A to point B. How far do you usually have to walk??

It's one mile to downtown, about half a mile to do the errands, and one mile back; the water location is closer than that for me. It's an ordeal.
    But I rest on my walker seat, or on outdoor benches if possible. It's worse when it snows, because my walker wheels are very small and they won't go through much snow without tipping the walker and me, so I wait till the traffic packs down the streets and then I can go out again.
    Before I became crippled by my flu shot 4 years ago, I was very athletic, and walked or rode a bike everywhere. I have 1/3 of my former strength, and twice as much of my stubborness; I have to pace myself at all times, and dress extra warmly, because I can't feel temperature changes accurately anymore.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Dear Participants,
    Please post your budget updates now for your January 2012 Budget.

My Update is on my 2nd post of this thread.
    I have a deficit of $-74.36, due to adding to my food stockpile and the yearly cost of my Safety Deposit Box. It would have been worse, except for the January GST Rebate.
    However, it is good to have the stockpile in place at exceptionally low prices this month, even with a deficit.

The February 2012 Budget will begin on another thread.
    All those who are participating, please post there.
    Thanks everyone; and keep up the good work on tackling your budget challenges!

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

The Conservative government continues to hide their agenda on proposed changes to the Old Age Security age eligibility.
    Will they change the eligibilty age to 67 from age 65? When?
    Straightforward Yes or No answers have not been forthcoming, only the same ambiguous rhetoric that has already been given to the Canadian public. This continues to be a very threatening policy proposal to the low-income Seniors of Canada who are approaching retirement and have no other income supports, and who will therefore desperately need this OAS/GIS pension in the upcoming years.

Please voice your concerns to our government while you can still make a difference.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParli...pleteList.aspx

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

News link, and below, comments from the public.
    This issue affects us all.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...mymanitoba.com

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

http://survey.conservative.ca/seniors/4007

There is a space at the bottom of the survey for your comment.
    Your participation will make a difference in this important issue which ultimately affects us all.

PS:
    There are so many valuable links on this month's budget thread, that I am bumping it again. Also bumping the thread in order to follow up on the Seniors Pensions topic, with related links for the public to contact their MP's with input & comments. Thanks.
    Last edited by Valiant; Thu, Feb 9th, 2012 at 09:30 AM.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread Information