User Tag List

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Target announces first 24 Canadian locations

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Target is not necessarily bringing its own people .

But most of the Zellers employees will be let go & they will have to re-apply to get the same job at Target , if they want . So you might see the same people before in most cases but on a lower pay .

So if you have been a Zellers cashier for 10 years or say 20 years .. you will be let go & you will have to re-apply as a teenager/high school student or something like that to get/do the same job you were doing before ...only difference is you will be paid much lower.

You will lose all your seniority & raises & start off again from scratch & at minimum wage all over again .

Its a raw deal for Zellers senior employees for sure ..but in today's economy some might have no choice & might still go for the pay cut to do the same job at Target as they were doing with Zellers but for lower wages.
    ^ It does seem like quite a raw deal but at the same time, it's better than begin let go without any opportunity for a rehire (which is what has happened to friends who work elsewhere).

I would hope (perhaps naively) that rehiring will be based on experience and the potential Target sees in that individual rather than seniority. It does seem unfair to have worked for a company 20 years and then perhaps have someone much younger and newer be picked over you but on the flip side, I find sometimes people get really comfortable in a job and forget that they are paid to do that job and do it just as well as something who IS new which I suspect may be in the case with some current Zeller's employees.
    Last edited by newbiesaver; Wed, Jan 11th, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I don't think Target Canada is going to be as great as some people are expecting it to be..since they are comparing it to Target US.

I think it's just going be like another version of WM Canada
    Armygirl76 and Mrs.Roberts like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I don't think Target Canada is going to be as great as some people are expecting it to be..since they are comparing it to Target US.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I was just at a Target in Honolulu and it wasn't different than any other large department store. I guess it will be an improvement if you take into account some of the Zellers horror stories out there...

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

First three stores open tomorrow according to the Toronto Star article - they are the Guelph store and two other locations in Fergus, Ont. and Milton, Ont

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013...n_tuesday.html
    anisa likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Zellers bit the dust, courtesy of Hudson's.

no one is forcing zellers ppl to apply for jobs at target.

it is unfortunate that a company went away, but those same ppl could just as easily apply at the bay and at home outfitters.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    487 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth. I was just at a Target in Honolulu and it wasn't different than any other large department store. I guess it will be an improvement if you take into account some of the Zellers horror stories out there...
    +1. I don't understand all this euphoria about Target coming to Canada. I loved Zellers, I never had any "bad" experience with them. It was a very convenient store to shop at, I loved their points system, plus PM, coupons... I still don't understand the Hudson Bay decision to close Zellers, it was the only store that actually brought them at least some kind amount of money each year, cause the Bay, and especially the Home Outfitters, are the "black holes" in their Canadian budget. I'm 100% sure, that Target will become another Walmart after all - just read it: Sobeys would be the food supplier for them, one of the most expensive food chains. It's impossible that any USA or any other country store offers the same prices they can keep up at their homeland.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    My Huge Enormous Wish List : http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/members/nikyk/. (About Me.)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Yep. Tomorrow this thread will be filled with people saying how disappointed they are with Target and how much it sucks compared to Target in the States.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

The main goal for me in Target opening is to give Wallyworld a good kick in the butt reality check. Up until now Wallyworld has done as it pleases with no repercussion to the consumer. They have basically touted a take or leave it attitude and I am frankly sick of their crap. Bring on Target. Yes I know they wont be saviours but at least us the consumer has an option now.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Our Wal-Marts in Nova Scotia are actually pretty good. They by far have the best prices and it's not a bad place to work either. The store that needs a good kick in the ass is Loblaws. They are just awful here!
    FallenPixels likes this.

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by NikyK View Post
    +1. I don't understand all this euphoria about Target coming to Canada. I loved Zellers, I never had any "bad" experience with them. It was a very convenient store to shop at, I loved their points system, plus PM, coupons... I still don't understand the Hudson Bay decision to close Zellers, it was the only store that actually brought them at least some kind amount of money each year, cause the Bay, and especially the Home Outfitters, are the "black holes" in their Canadian budget. I'm 100% sure, that Target will become another Walmart after all - just read it: Sobeys would be the food supplier for them, one of the most expensive food chains. It's impossible that any USA or any other country store offers the same prices they can keep up at their homeland.

I total agree i loved my Zellers and had no problem with them.I sorry to see it go as i really don't like Walmart.Mark my words in a little while people will start complaining about Target
    Last edited by YOU AND ME; Mon, Mar 4th, 2013 at 09:41 PM.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    23 (100%)

All zeller employees who applied for job at target were guaranteed an interview but after that they were considered as the rest of the applicant who were there for interviews. Target has only bought the lease rights of few of Zeller places. Zeller did not want to share any stocks or manpower with anyone. So Target did not have to offer this opportunity to Zeller employees but they still offered a guaranteed interview which was a plus on their side. If you were a senior employee at zeller and now have to start all over again.....tough luck as your company went into liquidation. It's not as if Target is unfair to these ppl.
    anisa likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

People have already started to whine about Target lol
    I prefer Walmart over Loblaws too, but I hated Zellers - the ones near me were dirty, had little stock and the rudest employees
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i had 4 zellers near me.
    the 3 that are going to be targets had the worst service. crabby customer service ppl, who huffed and puffed when you handed them a coupon. and i only shopped at them occasionally, using minimal coupons. they were the worst!
    the 4th one that is shut down with no announcement yet of what will replace it had friendly employees, but was a total dump. things were broken, run down, the front doors were beat up and had been repaired using an assortment of mismatched parts. it was a total mess.

any company that claims to be service oriented, and will bring in shiny new stores with decent selection is an improvement!

i've said before, i loathe walmart. all the ones near me make you wait 30 minutes in line no matter what time of day it is. then you wait another 30 minutes for them to confirm a scop. i refuse to give them my hard earned/saved money when they treat you nothing better than cattle waiting to be prodded up the wahoo!

i'm not so stupid as to think that target will be the answer to all my shopping dreams and wishes, but if they can offer good friendly service with fair and reasonable store policies that are consistent from store to store then that will be a huge improvement from what i have had available in the past.

i LOVE my rcss. they are so nice and they are really customer oriented. i have never ever had any issues, and they have surprised me a few times with correcting a price when they probably didn't have to, but they did so in the name of good service.

that said, i do look forward to having more options!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

A friend worked for Zellers straight out of high school for 10+ years. She was paid fairly well, worked full time and had benefits. She lost her job and could re-apply. To re-apply she would be hired at minimum wage, be part time and have no benefits. At least in the one local store, those who had worked at the Zellers would not receive special consideration.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Im looking forward to target opening here in orillia since are walmart is a joke for wait times in line. Although the last few times I have been in there they seem panicked to get more cashiers on when the lines start you can tell they know they are gonna loose buisness if they dont step it up . There promise when they opened the superstore here was that you would not have to wait in huge lines lol.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information