User Tag List

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Hi everyone!

My brother-in-law is moving here to Ontario next month, and I'm trying to find out some info for him about renting his own apartment. I've never rented here and am not sure what fees and things he'll have to pay to get started out here.

So, a couple questions..
    Is there a damage deposit or something like it he has to pay when he first rents? Does he pay first and lasts month rent? (And how exactly does that work..?)

For utilities/electricity, are there normally any start-up fees?

When I moved here, we just took over everything at my grandfather's house, so I know about transferring accounts, but not starting them here

Anything else he should be aware of rental-wise??

Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

First and lasts is always required so usually when the lease is signed he will have to pay last months rent, then when he moves in pays first months rent.... also with utilities there is usually a connection charge but they place it on your first months bill. ( so he won`t have to pay that upfront) . hope this helps

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Your brother will most likely have to pay first and last unless stated differently by the Landlord. It is illegal in Ontario for the Landlord to charge a damage deposit.. If landlord asks for this, run very far away.

A lot of apartments have utilities included but for those that don't, there may be a deposit amount required dependent on the company who supplies the utility. In Toronto, you may have to pay Toronto Hydro $150 deposit unless you consent to a credit check or pre-authorized payment. You must pay Toronto Hydro $30 for a one-time account set up fee. If possible, look for accommodations that have utilities include so you avoid having to deal with it.

Make sure your brother checks out the apartments and reads lease agreements thoroughly. More basic info for Tenants in Ontario can be found here: http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/index.htm

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Thanks for the info!

Not sure I understand first/last month's rent. So, before he moves in he would have to pay 'last month's rent' which means its the regular monthly rental amount and it's put against the last month he stays at that apartment? So, he wouldn't have to pay his very last rent payment?

In BC, we did damage deposits- so this is all new to me!
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

exactly right. Say the rent is $1000 a month, his first cheque to the landlord would be $2000 (plus a damage deposit, if required). If he stayed only the length of his lease, 12 months, then he would pay $1000 every month except the month he moves out.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Awesome! Thanks very much for the info everyone- I will let my brother know.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Keep in mind rent is negotiable! Even big renter companies will negotiate with tenants...could be lower rent, free parking, etc. Depending how much the economy has affected the area, they are trying all sorts of techniques to get you in their building. I used to manage a couple buildings for a large company.
    2011 Wins: TLC "Say Yes to the Dress" Season 3 box set, Bissell Pro-Heat 2X Upright with a years worth of formula....

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If hes interested in a basement apartment, first, last and security aren't all required, no credit check and cheaper. Depends on the person. My mom would rather die than live in a basement apartment. I live in one and paid only 1st month rent. As I said a lot cheaper since I'm saving for a house and don't host house parties or anything like that.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by brwonsugal View Post
    If hes interested in a basement apartment, first, last and security aren't all required, no credit check and cheaper. Depends on the person. My mom would rather die than live in a basement apartment. I live in one and paid only 1st month rent. As I said a lot cheaper since I'm saving for a house and don't host house parties or anything like that.
    I'm trying to find a place in Toronto but my budget is a basement apartment type of budget and I just can't do it. Most don't have enough windows for me, or they have lower ceilings and I'm tall. I just feel soooo closed in. I need nice big floor to ceiling windows or I go crazy!

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

interesting discussions here.
    Free $175 CASH BONUS open Tangerine bank account $50=chequing, $25=savings, $100=savings program use 36121543S1as the'orange key' CAll1-888-826-4374 refer family/friends,$50 to you + $175 to them Earn up to $3,250 Visithttp://www.tangerine.ca/en/referafriend/index.html

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtpi View Post
    Keep in mind rent is negotiable! Even big renter companies will negotiate with tenants...could be lower rent, free parking, etc. Depending how much the economy has affected the area, they are trying all sorts of techniques to get you in their building. I used to manage a couple buildings for a large company.
    In Toronto and the GTA rent is not really negotiable anymore.

If you want to get a mortgage for a rental property you have to put at least 20% down since 2011.

Previously, some investors were putting 0 down or 5% down, which created a surplus of rental units.

Those days are over.

Thread Information