User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Usually, colleges have housing registries, so you can look for roomies there.
    When I went to uni and had a roommate, she was someone I already had taken two classes with.

If you are going to school, it's better to live with others who are as well. Otherwise, some of you will be pinching your pennies and wanting to study - and others who ar working will be lazying about, partying, spending their money, lol!

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Are you officially going to be on the lease as a joint tenant or is the person already renting the condo & you are just going to just move in as a room mate ( unofficially ) ?

If the room mate stops paying the rent and takes off or something ..you could be on the hook for the entire rent if you are officially on the lease .
    I never thought about being on the lease. I will have to look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by ING_rep View Post
    I would suggest that you put the lease to your name and have something signed by your roommate to make sure he/she pays half the rent to you. It protects you in case it's not working with this person, the lease is under your name so you won't lose the condo, and you can get a new roommate.

At the condo visit, I would ask about the annual cost of electricity, i would ask about the neighbors and if anything is included (appliances?)

Good luck!
    I don't think I can entirely put the lease in my name since the person already lives there with a roommate that is moving out after school in May. So I would assume the lease is already in her name.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyne1 View Post
    The post about the "locking doors". Now if i was moving in with someone I already knew and was already friends with, I wouldn't be concerned about locking my door.
    But in your circumstance you have no idea who these people are or what they would get up to while you are out of the house. I would feel much better if i had a lock on my door if I didn't know the people.
    Have you tried looking for a bachelor apartment? They are generally much cheaper, but you may be on the hook for Heat/hydro/cable etc.
    I have been looking at bachelors and small 1 bedroom places but it's still cheaper to rent a 2 bedroom condo with someone! I don't understand how landlords come up with their prices but it's ridiculous to think about paying $800/month for a bachelor plus all utilities on top!

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Have you tried renting a room with a family in their house ? usually they go for around $ 500/month..inclusive of utilities and wi fi internet connection, in Toroto. they are short term rentals so you can just live there for 3-4 months if you want.

You share their kitchen and laundry . Usually you Al's get a bathroom to yourself or maybe you have to share it one other person.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

Even better than renting a room is renting a basement apartment in a home. They are a lot cheaper than apartments in highrises and all the utilities are included (sometimes wifi and cable too). Look in areas like Mississauga close to the GO train. There are lots there with an easy commute into TO.
    Last edited by bobbiegirl2010; Thu, Jan 26th, 2012 at 03:19 PM.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiegirl2010 View Post
    Even better than renting a room is renting a basement apartment in a home. They are a lot cheaper than apartments in highrises and all the utilities are included (sometimes wifi and cable too). Look in areas like Mississauga close to the GO train. There are lots there with an easy commute into TO.
    I go to Seneca though, so I am trying to either get something downtown Toronto or a bit further north so I don't have to transfer a lot to get to school. I wouldn't mind Mississauga if I didn't have school to worry about, or went to a school closer to there.

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    I never thought about being on the lease. I will have to look into it.

I don't think I can entirely put the lease in my name since the person already lives there with a roommate that is moving out after school in May. So I would assume the lease is already in her name.

I have been looking at bachelors and small 1 bedroom places but it's still cheaper to rent a 2 bedroom condo with someone! I don't understand how landlords come up with their prices but it's ridiculous to think about paying $800/month for a bachelor plus all utilities on top!

Hmm, you can definitely find them cheaper that that, it just takes a lot of searching. It's hard if you don't live here already - a lot of places don't advertise. I live in a small building, in a one bedroom apartment, and pay $700 inclusive...includes cable, too. It's a small apartment, but the building also has a fenced in yard where my dog can run around, and I am very close to downtown....on a major streetcar line which runs 24 hours, and can walk to the subway in about 10 minutes. So it is possible! But I only found it while wandering the neighbourhood, and seeing a For Rent sign.

I've lived in a few roommate situations, both where I lived with people who were friends prior to us living together, and with people who were strangers first. It ended up being much better living with the strangers. We just made sure to set clear ground rules for cleaning and chores, etc., and we all had locking bedroom doors. And years later, we are still in touch. Also, separate groceries is a good idea...it's very frustrating when you buy something together, and before you get a chance to use any, the roommate has used it all up...
    Open a Tangerine bank account (formerly ING ) using my Orange Key (14507658S1), deposit $100 and we both get $25! Right now, receive up to $150 in bonuses and earn 2.50% interest!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ginger150 View Post
    Hmm, you can definitely find them cheaper that that, it just takes a lot of searching. It's hard if you don't live here already - a lot of places don't advertise. I live in a small building, in a one bedroom apartment, and pay $700 inclusive...includes cable, too. It's a small apartment, but the building also has a fenced in yard where my dog can run around, and I am very close to downtown....on a major streetcar line which runs 24 hours, and can walk to the subway in about 10 minutes. So it is possible! But I only found it while wandering the neighbourhood, and seeing a For Rent sign.

I've lived in a few roommate situations, both where I lived with people who were friends prior to us living together, and with people who were strangers first. It ended up being much better living with the strangers. We just made sure to set clear ground rules for cleaning and chores, etc., and we all had locking bedroom doors. And years later, we are still in touch. Also, separate groceries is a good idea...it's very frustrating when you buy something together, and before you get a chance to use any, the roommate has used it all up...
    I find it very hard to apartment hunt and job hunt without actually being there. I have a couple of friends there but they all still live with parents or other family while going to school, or else I would try to get a place with them! If I don't end up liking the living situation I can always find my own place when I graduate next April. I figured out the other night that once I graduate I will have around an extra $420 a month that I can put towards a place of my own instead of going towards school since I pay around $5000 a year just for tuition and books.
    The place I am considering includes everything too. Internet and cable and it's a newish condo with a gym and pool and parking. Maybe I will be motivated to actually work out a bit with a gym in the building LOL. I don't plan on driving in Toronto (not used to tons of traffic and I'm such a nervous driver in the city because I'm from a rural area), so I guess we could talk about renting out the space and then splitting that money to reduce our rent? She doesn't drive either and I don't know what the rules are though for renting out parking we don't need, but I know my one friend rents hers out to a neighbour.
    I kind of want to buy my own place, and I was told it was entirely possible if I found a place I really liked, but I want to be finished school first and have a steady job where I know I don't run the risk of being laid off anytime soon. I completely hate the thought of spending so much a month on something that I don't actually own.
    Separate groceries are a must I think. My sister does that where she lives and it works out best. If someone bakes they do share like cookies and things, but for meals they all buy their own groceries and the meat eaters fridge is separate from the vegetarians fridge. There are 5 people sharing where she lives and she shares the veggie fridge with two guys, and they survive without killing each other so it shouldn't be too bad sharing with one other person.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I go to Seneca though, so I am trying to either get something downtown Toronto or a bit further north so I don't have to transfer a lot to get to school. I wouldn't mind Mississauga if I didn't have school to worry about, or went to a school closer to there.
    I forgot to say that I will be going to the Seneca Finch/404 campus and will probably be working downtown Toronto.

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

It is definitely a bigger challenge when you're not actually here, that's for sure. The condo sounds great - it's fantastic to have all of those amenities included. En suite laundry is a dream if you've spent a long time lugging your clothes to the laundromat or even a laundry room. Nice to be able to do laundry whenever you want!

The nice thing about having a roommate, too, is that if they have been in Toronto for a while, they can help you out with directions, and let you know great places to shop, eat, etc.

I find it very hard to apartment hunt and job hunt without actually being there. I have a couple of friends there but they all still live with parents or other family while going to school, or else I would try to get a place with them! If I don't end up liking the living situation I can always find my own place when I graduate next April. I figured out the other night that once I graduate I will have around an extra $420 a month that I can put towards a place of my own instead of going towards school since I pay around $5000 a year just for tuition and books.
    The place I am considering includes everything too. Internet and cable and it's a newish condo with a gym and pool and parking. Maybe I will be motivated to actually work out a bit with a gym in the building LOL. I don't plan on driving in Toronto (not used to tons of traffic and I'm such a nervous driver in the city because I'm from a rural area), so I guess we could talk about renting out the space and then splitting that money to reduce our rent? She doesn't drive either and I don't know what the rules are though for renting out parking we don't need, but I know my one friend rents hers out to a neighbour.
    I kind of want to buy my own place, and I was told it was entirely possible if I found a place I really liked, but I want to be finished school first and have a steady job where I know I don't run the risk of being laid off anytime soon. I completely hate the thought of spending so much a month on something that I don't actually own.
    Separate groceries are a must I think. My sister does that where she lives and it works out best. If someone bakes they do share like cookies and things, but for meals they all buy their own groceries and the meat eaters fridge is separate from the vegetarians fridge. There are 5 people sharing where she lives and she shares the veggie fridge with two guys, and they survive without killing each other so it shouldn't be too bad sharing with one other person.
    Open a Tangerine bank account (formerly ING ) using my Orange Key (14507658S1), deposit $100 and we both get $25! Right now, receive up to $150 in bonuses and earn 2.50% interest!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

It is definitely a bigger challenge when you're not actually here, that's for sure. The condo sounds great - it's fantastic to have all of those amenities included. En suite laundry is a dream if you've spent a long time lugging your clothes to the laundromat or even a laundry room. Nice to be able to do laundry whenever you want!

The nice thing about having a roommate, too, is that if they have been in Toronto for a while, they can help you out with directions, and let you know great places to shop, eat, etc.
    Having enough water to do my own laundry will be awesome LOL
    We are on a well here that goes dry a lot, so I can't do my own laundry separate from my parents or we would run out of water. Everything piles up until there is enough to do a full load and conserve water. One of the reasons I have been looking at condos instead of apartments is I don't want to have to budget laundry into my other expenses!
    I go to Toronto a lot for castings and fashion week so I'm familiar with the TTC and if it's something downtown I can find it. Restaurant advice would be awesome because my only friends there are fast food junkies and I like trying different foods that I can't find where I live now.
    The pressure is on for me to find a place now since I just found out I was picked up by a casting agent and now have an agency. I will probably be sent for more castings in Toronto now compared to when I was just submitting to things myself. Travel from where I live now is really expensive which is one of the reasons it is probably cheaper for me to just move.

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

Congrats!!!!! I've worked in the entertainment industry since I was a kid, and finding an agent you like is half the battle. That's fantastic! A good agent who really works for you is a great thing.

I completely understand what you mean about water! I grew up with a well. And I remember running out of water during really dry months, and not being able to have a shower when I wanted to. BUT something good about that experience is having a greater understanding about how important water is, and how important water conservation is. Sometimes I still get that feeling like, "I'd better wash my hair right now while I still have water." LOL.

Having enough water to do my own laundry will be awesome LOL
    We are on a well here that goes dry a lot, so I can't do my own laundry separate from my parents or we would run out of water. Everything piles up until there is enough to do a full load and conserve water. One of the reasons I have been looking at condos instead of apartments is I don't want to have to budget laundry into my other expenses!
    I go to Toronto a lot for castings and fashion week so I'm familiar with the TTC and if it's something downtown I can find it. Restaurant advice would be awesome because my only friends there are fast food junkies and I like trying different foods that I can't find where I live now.
    The pressure is on for me to find a place now since I just found out I was picked up by a casting agent and now have an agency. I will probably be sent for more castings in Toronto now compared to when I was just submitting to things myself. Travel from where I live now is really expensive which is one of the reasons it is probably cheaper for me to just move.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Congrats!!!!! I've worked in the entertainment industry since I was a kid, and finding an agent you like is half the battle. That's fantastic! A good agent who really works for you is a great thing.

I completely understand what you mean about water! I grew up with a well. And I remember running out of water during really dry months, and not being able to have a shower when I wanted to. BUT something good about that experience is having a greater understanding about how important water is, and how important water conservation is. Sometimes I still get that feeling like, "I'd better wash my hair right now while I still have water." LOL.
    Awesome that you work in the entertainment industry too
    I'm mostly modeling right now, but I started out in theatre and commercials as a kid. I've been freelancing for a long time because agencies wouldn't sign me while I wasn't living in the area. Now I'm seriously hoping this place works out so I can actually make money doing gigs instead of breaking even after travel/hotel/food expenses.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

When you say North of the city how North?
    which city would you consider North and not too far?

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

When I said north I meant like around the 401 area. I am trying to stay downtown for work purposes, but if I have to I'm willing to look near the 401 too as long as I am still on the subway line so commuting to work and school won't be too hard.

I have so far only looked at a couple of places near the waterfront areas (one was near the CN tower and the other was way too far west closer to new Toronto), and one place on Jarvis. I'm trying to stay close to the Yonge line since I will have to use it to get to school a couple nights a week.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When interviewing roommates I suggest doing a credit check.

Why? Because you can see if the person has a history of paying their bills/rent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information