User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Trading Score
    707 (100%)

only a few hrs into the strike and a 4 car pile up in burnside.....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

No impact on my drive to work this morning. In fact, I hit all green lights and got to work 4 minutes earlier than usual. My commute is from Woodlawn to Bayer's Lake.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Surely this won't last long..........and doesn't look good for Mr. Kelly's election plans!
    THE WORLD CAN BE AMAZING..........WHEN YOUR SLIGHTLY STRANGE

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

My commute wasn't bad either. I had a ride, but there wasn't all that much traffic. Not nearly what I expected.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

It would have taken me almost 1hr to drive DH to the dockyard from Shearwater, so I dropped him off at the school beside the sportsplex (not sure what it's called, lol) and he walked across the bridge (he got there in like 15min)...

always looking
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for keeping me up to date on the strike it seemed very quick to happen...Times like these make me even happier to stay home with my son, but my poor hubby in burnside with this mornings traffic. He drives a delivery truck locally and therefore traffic is an Occupation Hazzard ... well the layoff list there comes out Mar 1 so I guess we should be thankful to commute to have a job. It does really makes me think from Municipal ( Kelly) to Federal( Mckay) what the hell is our government doing?? certainly not reflecting what our country is all about flying around in there private jets!!!

Crazy Croatian Couponer HelenaZAE's Avatar
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AmberLab View Post
    DH takes the car to work, so the strike is not good for me if I want to take the kids somewhere. That's not often in winter, so it's not a huge hardship for me. But ugh, strikes, IMO in the end nobody ever really wins.

Helena, is he going on the picket line? I would guess no?

He will end up probably 4hrs a day for $20 WOW!
    No big deal, just want it to end so he'll go back to work and get out from under my feet

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    You must have been there a long time to get parking at the Dockyards. My DH works down there too.
    Over 31 years - just 3 years and 10 months until retirement, but who's counting

Canuck
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bricon1621 View Post
    only a few hrs into the strike and a 4 car pile up in burnside.....

I cross the Mckay at least 3 x a week and there is often a 3-4 car pile up. Once there was about 7 cars invloved. Usually more so enroute at the end of the day. I blame it on texters! I was stuck in traffice this am because of a stalled vehicle but once you got past this, traffic was non-existent. It's incredible how many people text while driving, they try to hide it but all have the same look....look up, look down, look up, look down all the way home.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I once read something about texters. That teachers always know when you're texting, because no one looks down at their crotch and smiles for any other reason.

I got home fine yesterday, but the person I was planning to travel with today has changed plans so I'm hunting around work. I have a car rented for the weekend, as we have too much going on this weekend to do it all on foot.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Wow! I am really hoping that I dont have to transfer any patients into the city! It would be a nightmare trying to get someone to the hospital and having all this traffic! I am surprised that traffic is moving as well as what you say it has.....Hoping it will end soon!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I hope it will end soon too. I can't rent cars every weekend, and it's a nuisance to have to bum rides from people.

Crazy Croatian Couponer HelenaZAE's Avatar
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Cross your fingers it will end monday. Union Rep is going to try to force city back to the table with a counter offer. I hope they settle soon and I hope the media starts getting the story straight. There are 71 things the city is trying to take away from the union and give nothing and Mr. Kelly better go back to school and learn some math skills 1% = 100,000 but 3% = a million? Even a first grader knows that that math don't add up and lets face it, a bus driver has a stressful job, yes, try dealing with drunks, bullies, crying teanagers, people screaming blaming you about traffic like you can just part the cars or drive over them and many other things and on top of it you have to work split shifts that just ruin your day 6:30am to 10:30am then 1:30pm to 6pm, but wait you live in dartmouth but you start in Mumford finnish at the dartmouth shopping center and then start in Scotia Square and finnish at Burnside. Where do you park your car and take the bus, well he tried that one day. Left at 5am, came home at 12pm, I packed 3 kids in the car to drive him back left at 1pm and by the time he got home for the night it was 7:20pm. Kids #2 and #3 were already in bed and the 1 left was in bed at 8pm. What a way to treat people that drive you around all day safely in big extended buses on roads ment for one way horse and buggy and no street parking. He spent 1hr and 40mins with 1 of his kids and only 1 hr with the other 2 while he shovelled food in his face and went to the bathroom and this was a good day. I think they deserve to keep their sick days at 9 a year.
    Can you tell this is driving me nutzo. I did however get Axe body wash for .99 last week I bought 11 just cause I needed some retail therapy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I don't think it's going to end today.

I also don't think that any of us know the whole story. We can't really blame the media for that, they only know what they're told, just as we do. The media gets their stories from the respective sides of the dispute. We only get to hear the message of the side who's best at expressing it. It sounds like you do know one side of it, but unless your DH is on the negotiating team, he's also getting what they choose to tell him.

The strike is making me crazy too, I'm pretty sick of it. I have to get my five year old DS out of bed earlier, he has to walk further and it's freezing out. DH and I have to rely on the kindness of coworkers to get us to and from work. Tomorrow night, DS has a class at the recreation centre at 6, which we're going to have to walk 25 minutes to unless we can once again bum a ride.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (80%)

HelenaZAE, my thoughts are with your family. I hope this is resolved soon for all the families employed.

Personally, I sent my oldest dd to my parents for the week since they live in her school district and my mom is retired and able to drive her to Halifax to dance every day. *sigh* She didn't want to go and I didn't want her to either.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information