User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

If things don't get settled today, Metro Transit is on strike as of midnight tonight.

Even if you don't rely on transit to get around like I do, with everyone taking their car to work the traffic should be, hmm, interesting? And if you don't have a reserved parking spot, you're going to be in a VERY bad spot.

I've made some carpooling arrangements, so fortunately it's looking OK for me. What about the rest of you?
    This thread is currently associated with: Metro

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I start work at 7 and usually arrive by about 630 or so to beat the traffic and make my thermos of tea and chill so might leave few minutes earlier as many might think the same thing. I work in the dockyard so arriving that early there is lots of parking and even close to my building. For those that rely on the transit, hope they get this settled but also see the transit workers point - they are trying to get themselves a fair deal too.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

You must have been there a long time to get parking at the Dockyards. My DH works down there too.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (80%)

One of my kid's is going to have to stay with my parents Mon-Thurs. She takes the bus to school and then to Halifax to dance 4 days per week. I can't drive her so my mom is going to have to. My parents live in her school district so she can walk to school from there. It's a nightmare for me honestly. It's creating some real problems. :|

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I make my own hours in the office....the company I work for allow for flex-time. As long as each employee works their 37.5 hours a week, they don't mind when we come and go. I typically am in the office at 6:30 am and leave at 3:00pm each day. It's nice being in the office early because then I can get a lot more accomplished without people bugging me So the transit strike will have little to no effect on me since when I drive to work there are very few cars on the roads.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mulock View Post
    I make my own hours in the office....the company I work for allow for flex-time. As long as each employee works their 37.5 hours a week, they don't mind when we come and go. I typically am in the office at 6:30 am and leave at 3:00pm each day. It's nice being in the office early because then I can get a lot more accomplished without people bugging me So the transit strike will have little to no effect on me since when I drive to work there are very few cars on the roads.
    Unfortunately I think it will affect you. A whole lot of extra cars will be on the road, and many are going to be leaving early to avoid the traffic, so it won't be the same ride you're used to.

Trading Score
    569 (100%)

Ekk!!! Sounds like you guys will be in for a nightmare!!! Fingers crossed if it does happen it will not last long.
    Want free Christmas shopping???
    get giftcards to Amazon!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

My hubby works for the Military and leaves here at abt 6:50 or so in the morning to beat the traffic as well..so he said he might leave a few min early also......maybe we should start a post here somewhere to car pool during this strike for those that travel by bus...could possibly help a few people out??? Just a thought

Crazy Croatian Couponer HelenaZAE's Avatar
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

My husband works for Metro Transit. We have 3 kids 4 yrs and under, a teenage neice that just showed up and an unemployeed grandfather staying with us. He is our only income (really good income when he works) Please wish and pray that this does not happen. I don't think its fair for either side and $100 / week strike pay is a slap in the face. Contracting out transit services is just a stupid move (i.e. snow plowing) I really hope this doesn't happen, my stock pile isn't big enough

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by HelenaZAE View Post
    My husband works for Metro Transit. We have 3 kids 4 yrs and under, a teenage neice that just showed up and an unemployeed grandfather staying with us. He is our only income (really good income when he works) Please wish and pray that this does not happen. I don't think its fair for either side and $100 / week strike pay is a slap in the face. Contracting out transit services is just a stupid move (i.e. snow plowing) I really hope this doesn't happen, my stock pile isn't big enough
    I have a coworker in a similar boat, her husband is a driver and she has to get her kids to school, etc. Fortunately she also earns income, but it's still going to be rough going for a lot of folks.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

CTV just announced talks broke down and they WILL strike tonight at midnight!
    A CTV twitter exclusive.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

Dh works at the dockyard too...he only has a temporary parking pass that he shares with the ship, so when he's early shift I drive him or he takes the car and actually can park down there...but coming home will be a different story! Tomorrow, we are paying our sitter a little extra to go down and pick him up! lol

Crazy Croatian Couponer HelenaZAE's Avatar
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Murdocae View Post
    CTV just announced talks broke down and they WILL strike tonight at midnight!
    A CTV twitter exclusive.

Thanks for the heads up. My hubby works till 2am tonight, I guess he'll be home earlier. At least my hunny do list will start to shrink a bit and maybe I can sleep in. I'm looking for the positives ;(

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

DH takes the car to work, so the strike is not good for me if I want to take the kids somewhere. That's not often in winter, so it's not a huge hardship for me. But ugh, strikes, IMO in the end nobody ever really wins.

Helena, is he going on the picket line? I would guess no?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

No, there's definitely no winners in a strike. The workers lose a lot of pay, it will take years to earn it back even if they get the benefits that they want.

I'm pretty sure that everyone has to take a turn on the picket line, which is also an unpleasant task.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information