User Tag List

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Re-Election wanted!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

So with Harper out of the country and the NDP convention not much talk about this right now. Anyone hearing anything?

By the way there are grumblings about a spring election here now PLEASE NO!!

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Patty it seems the lines are dead. Umm I mean no I haven't been hearing much either lol Is there suppose to be a by-election in your area Patty? For what?

I have been reading what the Provincial and Federal Government will be cutting from the Budget this week and I'm not happy at all! But I still haven't heard any updates on the Robo-Call scandal.
    Last edited by TaraF; Sun, Mar 25th, 2012 at 04:42 PM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Provincial

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Provincial
    PQ set to kick butt, yes?

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    PQ set to kick butt, yes?
    yes it will be nasty and with the student protests lately and the unions getting behind them things look bad. The PQ will promise the sun and moon of course. Student fees have to go up here they pay so little. They only pay 12% the rest is subsidized and they want to raise it $325 a year for th enext 5 years and it will still be the cheapest in north america.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Patty I saw the most recent protest and wow did they ever get a turnout. 50 blocks long I think they said it was? Elections can suck I mean we have voter fatigue in this country, but they are essential.

It's been exactly 2 weeks since we heard that "Pierre Poutine" had been identified and yet we haven't heard anything else on it. Makes no sense to me. I was listening to the news last night and they said that mid week there will be some news about the Robo-Call scandal. Well isn't that special that the media is coordinating when to release the information? Hrmmm? Yeah I'm a bit suspicious, can you tell?

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

So the investigation of fraudulent phone calls has extended into 200 ridings so far. Now it doesn't mean that there are 200 ridings affected until they verify which cases are true and accurate but still it's disturbing.
    Marc Mayrand repeatedly told a Commons committee on Thursday that he is seriously troubled by the alleged assault on democracy — an “absolutely outrageous” offence if proven true, even if it’s just one case.

Last edited by TaraF; Thu, Mar 29th, 2012 at 08:37 PM.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Here's an interesting reply-letter I received from Elizabeth May, regarding this issue.

Dear concerned Canadian,
    I am writing to give you an update on my efforts to demand a full public inquiry into the use of illegal “robocalls” and misleading phone calls during last federal election. I have heard from tens of thousands of Canadians from across the country who were contacted by automated calls and live individuals providing false and misleading information.
    As you know, these extremely worrisome actions are an attack upon our cherished democratic institutions. This is far more serious than the sponsorship scandal and demands an immediate response.

Last May, I submitted a formal complaint to the Chief Electoral Officer of Elections Canada, Marc Mayrand, regarding the numerous complaints I have received in regards to fraudulent robo-calls. More recently, I have condemned such actions in the House of Commons.
    Several weeks ago, I wrote to the Speaker of the House of Commons, requesting an emergency debate on this issue. While unsuccessful in persuading him, I have continued to be a vocal and informed voice on this issue, calling for a formal independent inquiry and changes to our electoral system.
    On March 12th, I launched our own campaign to allow the voice of Canadians to be heard on this critical issue. By taking action at www.robogate.ca, you can help me turn up the heat on the Harper Conservatives and get the independent inquiry into this scandal our democracy so desperately needs.
    Those who have conducted such egregious fraudulent calls must face jail time. Additionally, financial rebates for those specific elections must be cancelled and returned to Elections Canada if a political party if found to be responsible. (Political parties who obtain a certain percentage of the vote in a riding can receive up to 60% of their expenses refunded via Elections Canada, and 50% nationally. Combined, this amounts to tens of millions of dollars for the Conservative Party.) Only through such strong measures will we create a meaningful deterrent to these actions.
    Lastly, I would love to have the opportunity for you to join my electronic mailing list, so I can keep you up to date on this and other issues that are important to you. I encourage you to take a moment to sign up by visiting my MP website, and to fill out a survey on your interests.
    Once again, thank you for taking the time to write.
    Sincerely,

Elizabeth May, O.C., M.P.
    Member of Parliament for Saanich-Gulf Islands
    Leader of the Green Party of Canada
    ( Valiant, the valley-ant )

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Well Valiant I hope they are pressing ahead! I know that I read the Opposition are fighting for a Royal Commission in Commons but Harper keeps turning him down *grumbles* if he has nothing to hide, GIVE IT TO THE PEOPLE! I sent my email off to the Governor General demanding a Royal Commission and I hope others do the same.

What people don't realize is that Elections Canada doesn't have much power and really only performs a basic investigation, they have no authority to enforce anything when/if they find anything out. And now that their funding has been drastically slashed by Harper by 7.5 million a yr over the next 2 years it will only make their investigation that much more difficult. If the Harper Government is not guilty of the allegations laid at their feet they are doing a spectacular job of making themselves look guilty. Who cuts the budget of an organization that is in the midst of an investigation into Illegal Activity where your Party is suspect #1? *sighs*
    Last edited by TaraF; Sun, Apr 1st, 2012 at 06:32 PM.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    Well Valiant I hope they are pressing ahead! I know that I read the Opposition are fighting for a Royal Commission in Commons but Harper keeps turning him down *grumbles* if he has nothing to hide, GIVE IT TO THE PEOPLE! I sent my email off to the Governor General demanding a Royal Commission and I hope others do the same.

What people don't realize is that Elections Canada doesn't have much power and really only performs a basic investigation, they have no authority to enforce anything when/if they find anything out. And now that their funding has been drastically slashed by Harper by 7.5 million a yr over the next 2 years it will only make their investigation that much more difficult. If the Harper Government is not guilty of the allegations laid at their feet they are doing a spectacular job of making themselves look guilty. Who cuts the budget of an organization that is in the midst of an investigation into Illegal Activity where your Party is suspect #1? *sighs*
    Are you sure you want a Royal Commission? They're costly and usually don't amount to much.

Plus, the government doesn't have to answer any questions while it's ongoing. They can just say 'It's under investigation', until it all goes away.
    Last edited by DaveP; Sun, Apr 1st, 2012 at 07:34 PM.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I am absolutely certain that I want a Royal Commission Dave, as for the cost, that's simply the cost of Justice. As for saying "it's under investigation" until it goes away is pretty much what is being done now however at least with a Royal Commission it's more in depth, they have more power and actual authority to do something if they find anything amiss.

You can't put a price on Democracy.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Sorry Tara, but Michael Coren has a British accent. It is therefore incontrovertable that he is an intellectual giant compared to the rest of us and we should simply accept his assertians as gospel truth.
    Name:  BNT-BritishAccent_large.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  78.1 KB
    erin9mmm likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    I am absolutely certain that I want a Royal Commission Dave, as for the cost, that's simply the cost of Justice. As for saying "it's under investigation" until it goes away is pretty much what is being done now however at least with a Royal Commission it's more in depth, they have more power and actual authority to do something if they find anything amiss.

You can't put a price on Democracy.
    Personally I am not, not because of my political views, but because I find them ineffective, expensive and they take so long, there would be an election before it could request one.
    The Ombudsman and Elections Canada would have more luck than a formal commission, sure it may find them guilty but they can appeal a decision of the Commission and hold it up forever like the tainted blood scandal
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

That's fair Fallen but at the risk of getting in trouble for saying this I'm gonna say it anyways Murderers, rapists and common criminals all have the right to appeal any conviction handed down to them which can also hold up the courts and spend more money over the years, but we still prosecute them. It's their right to appeal and it's our duty to hold them accountable for the crimes they commit. This btw as said as a general statement of criminals as a whole.

Money, time and resources should NOT play a factor in Justice being served and again that's a general statement in regards to law. If we are so worried as a society about how much money the courts are going to burn through or how messy it could get during the process than why have laws and courts in the first place?

BTW, I agree with your British Accent pic LOL
    Last edited by TaraF; Mon, Apr 2nd, 2012 at 03:28 PM.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Yes, but in the history of Royal Commissions - how many have been successful? When it comes to laws we have a certain point where the appeals process runs out, the same is not true of commissions - in the tainted blood scandal private groups started to sue them after the fact to argue whether they even had the right to look at certain groups (red cross etc) - with this, we get into calls from the US where a Royal Commission really has no right to look at files.
    ~ ~ ~

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information