User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Is Walmart the only store where you do not pay taxes on Free Coupon items? or is there other stores that follow the same policy. I am trying to print out the coupon policies (to keep on file). I had a problem at Sobey's with the print at home coupon. They said they do not accept them, but because I showed them their policy (I had just printed) they had to accept it (with a lot of huffing and puffing). Felt good and empowered that I was informed. Thanks SC for telling me to print them out.
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

You may have more luck if you post this in the coupon discussion forum.
    Here's the link:
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/discuss...deals-coupons/
    You can expire this post and repost in there, or ask a mod to have it moved.
    ......SEARCH USING SWAGBUCKS!.....
    ..................EARN $$$ FAST!..................
    .............Join using my referral..............
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/K8sFate

MelissainOttawa
    Trading Score
    67 (100%)

You should be paying taxes on all free items unless it explicitly says that the coupon includes taxes as well(or its a non taxable item). I'm a CRA auditor or maybe that shouldnt be a smiley face bahahah...
    Its FREE sample month at well.ca. With every order over $30 you get free stuff. As always free shipping. Not only that, but if its your first order, use code "MBFA2012" and get $10 off $40 on your first order. www.well.ca is an online store similar to shoppers. It ships everything from diapers to cleaning products right to your door. Plus this coupon rocks!!!

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by maliha44 View Post
    I was browsing online and I found the Ontario website which say you cannot charge tax on free items. I have gone to many stores like Nofrills where they have ignored this and have charged tax. I will print this out and take it to the store. If you have gotten charged tax on free items, maybe you should do the same. The link is below.

http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/en/guides/rst/511.html
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

Zehrs doesn't charge tax on free product coupons.

I'm a cashier there and it's right in the training that we remove the tax.

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

Sobeys doesnt charge tax on free products either....
    Get paid for your opinion! http://legerweb.com/J4Z12
    Join Swagbucks and earn free money and giftcards!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/melissabrien

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

In Quebec everyone charges tax on free items. I think it is according to the MRQ and CRA rules.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

At the Maxi in Quebec where I shop, if the coupon is from their coupon zone, the tax comes off. For example, bought Resolve for $2, there was a coupon in the coupon zone for $2, got it for free (didn't pay tax because they scanned it).

If you use any other coupon, you pay the tax on the full price.
    For example, had an FPC for Glade Sense and Spray. Retailed at $10.49 Had to pay the tax on $10.49 ($1.57).

However, when you use a coupon that is worth more than the item you are buying (happens to me about once a month), various scenarios are possible at this Maxi. It seems to depend on the cashier...
    Here are my examples:
    Bought $2 mouthwash, had a printed coupon for $3. Paid $2.30, received my entire $3 back, made $.70!
    Next time, bought $2 mouthwash, had the $3 printed coupon, cashier adjusted my coupon to $2 (actually crossed out the 3 and wrote 2). Had to pay the tax $.30. Told her that the day before I got my $3, she replied "They made a mistake, you have to pay the tax". I stay away from her now!
    Bought something for $2.50, had a $5 coupon. The cashier adjusted my coupon to cover the item + tax ($2.88) so it was free, but I didn't get any change back.

I actually emailed Loblaws to ask them about the coupon policy at this Maxi, but I never got a reply back.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Zellers does not charge tax on any FPC

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

All the stores I use coupons at charge me tax: Walmart, No Frills, Safeway, Zellers, Canadian Tire, SDM (unless they ring it in as a 2002 code)

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by middleclassmom View Post
    All the stores I use coupons at charge me tax: Walmart, No Frills, Safeway, Zellers, Canadian Tire, SDM (unless they ring it in as a 2002 code)
    See post 4 & print out a copy. I have one in my coupon binder just in case some store wants to charge me tax on a FPC. Works like a charm!.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

sometimes you just have to remind them it is taxable, it really depends on the cashier for me, but Walmart is the worst for 'forgetting' tax is included (its why so many ppl like SDM because they have a special code for FPCs)

As far as getting 'change' (overage) from coupons, with the wording on most coupons, they shouldn't be giving change from them. They state that it is to be used on that item, by giving change or applying it to your basket, the coupon is applied to items not specified on the coupon so stores are completely within their right not to give overage and most do not
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp...s/thr-eng.html

Provided the link to CRA rules on this in case anyone not in Ontario is interested in proof as well. The rules for charging tax in Canada on free item coupons fall under Other Coupons regulations. The tax charged should be calculated based on the price AFTER the amount of the coupon is deducted (as others have said). With free item coupons the full price of the item is being deducted and tax calculated on the remaining zero dollars lol, so no tax.

Rules for dollars off coupons fall under Reimbursable Coupons which you can see by clicking on How to Treat Coupons at the above link, then Reimbursable coupons. They are treated as a form of payment, so the amount of tax charged the product is calculated before the coupon is used (so using a dollar off coupon on a $2 product you still pay $2 worth of tax).

All that said... I SELDOM find anyone is aware of this and have never printed out a copy of the policy myself and made a big deal about it. Its not just cashiers, but Managers etc that do not realize FPC coupons are treated under the Other Coupon rules, not Reimbursable coupons, if they are aware of the rules at all that is I never knew myself till another SC'er provided the link some time ago. Although as a coupon-er I feel I should never say a few cents here doesn't matter, because we all know it adds up, its never seemed worth the hassle I assume it would be trying to explain. Hopefully the link helps as proof for anyone that wants to try though.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

The only place that I've been to that hasn't is shoppers.

Groupon WagJag
    Checkout my blog?
    helloobee.blogspot.ca

Thread Information