User Tag List

Page 2804 of 3022 FirstFirst ... 1804 2304 2704 2754 2794 2802 2803 2804 2805 2806 2814 2854 2904 ... LastLast
Results 42,046 to 42,060 of 45330
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Club Q Q107-Loyalty Club (Southern ON Only)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Argo53 View Post
    AMX - is that the same as/similar to a Javelin?
    Similar, but definently not the same.

The AMX name originates from "American Motors eXperimental", a code used on several early prototypes developed by AMC. These were part of the company's attempt to change its "economy car" image to a more performance and youth-oriented market. The original AMX full-scale model were developed in 1965 by AMC's advanced styling studios under the direction of Charles Mashigan. In 1966, a concept carwas designed by an outside consultant and named the "AMX II". This was a fiberglass-bodied car that was part of AMC's "Project IV" exhibit. AMC, gave the go-ahead for the Italian coachbuilder Vignale to construct a real car. A steel-bodied, operational car was delivered in just 78 days. This was known as the "AMX Vignale" and first displayed at the 1966 New York Auto Show.
    American Motors had two simultaneous development programs: (1) to build a production vehicleby modifying the Javelin and (2) to create a completely new car out of fiberglass. The first approach used AMC's existing technology and unibody manufacturing expertise and was thus selected. By making fairly inexpensive modifications to the Javelin, the production car approximated the prototype's styling and proportions. The AMX debuted just over four months after the Javelin went on sale.
    This was the first American steel-bodied, two seat production model since the 1957 T bird. The only other two-seat domestic sports car at that time was the Corvette with a 98-inch wheelbase, while the AMX had 97-inches (2463.8 mm) between the front and rear axles. American Motors maximized the performance car connection by having race drivers Craig Breedlove and Lee Breedlove set 106 world speed records with the new AMX . The motoring press was introduced to the new model at the Daytona International Speedway. Even Playboy Enterprises was enlisted to help market the new AMX.
    The two-seater AMX was a limited production car built for three model years following its debut as a mid-year model on February 15, 1968. Production totals as follows: 6,725 (1968), 8,293 (1969), and 4,116 (1970).
    The AMX was named "Best Engineered Car of the Year" in 1969 and 1970 by the American Society of Automotive Engineers. Among the reasons they cited was its industry-first all one piece injection molded dashboard for safety purposes.
    All 1968 to 1970 AMXs came with a 4-barrel carbureted V8's in 290, 343, 360 and 390 in versions, all derived from the same external sized block. A T-10 4-speed manual transmission was standard, as were special traction bars, dual exhaust and fatter tires for better traction. Performance with the latter engine was very competitive, and the AMX found its greatest success on the dragstrip, where it held the Super Stock champion title for many years. When AMC debuted the AMX, they hired on the expertise of Craig Breedlove to challenge the existing national and international speed records. More than 100 records were broken, and some were shattered, including an average speed of 130 mph for 24 hours, compared with the previous record of 103 mph.
    In 1971, AMC transferred the AMX name to a performance-oriented version of the Javelin, which continued through 1974.
    In 2005, the Speed Channel show American Muscle Car tested an AMX 390 as part of a comparative test to identify "the greatest muscle car ever built." While giving up a great deal of raw power to the other competitors (including a GTO Judge, Mustang Cobra Jet, and Hemi Challenger), the AMX's lighter weight allowed it to be competitive and place above a number of the larger, more powerful cars.
    There are many active AMC car clubs for these cars, and parts availability is reasonably good.
    This Excellent Example is effectively a number 1 car. I could find no real faults or problems with the car, it is show ready, and would place well in any show you took it to. It runs and drives very well, and needs nothing to be enjoyed immediately. It featurss the 390/4 bbl quadrajet, Auto, and the rare white/red color combination. Our client, a respected local collector purchased the car in 1988 at the National AMC meet where it received Best of Show. The car was completely restored in 1987 and all receipts for that work are with the car as well as factory brochures, and copies of feature articles about this car.
    Even before it was introduced to the public at the Chicago Auto Show on February 23, 1968, the AMX broke 106 National and International speed records with Craig Breedlove behind the wheel. Breedlove would take the AMX to Bonneville and run an official 189mph with an unofficial run of over 200mph.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by feetfrown View Post
    Yes

1971 AMX
    The toughest of all the Javelins

That was the beginning of the end.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by 6ffightr9 View Post
    That was the beginning of the end.
    One of the ugliest cars ever made.

Name:  Pacer-Schnittbild-en.gif
Views: 971
Size:  30.9 KB

Name:  pacer.jpg
Views: 28974
Size:  21.0 KB

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by alohamom View Post
    All I can say is wow! cool car...
    This was my baby

Name:  amx 2.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  35.7 KB

Name:  amx 3.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  35.8 KB

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by 6ffightr9 View Post
    This was my baby

Name:  amx 2.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  35.7 KB

Name:  amx 3.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  35.8 KB
    nice car. about the only nice car that amc ever built. except maybe the rambler and the rebel.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

ROTFL I had a Pacer (aka fishbowl) and put a porsche window banner across the front window.....so loved people taking a second look!!!! next car was a firebird - so I saved face
    great day on the slopes today...back to the hospital tomorrow - so i thank you in advance for the ww...have a good weekend all

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin24 View Post
    Do you still have the AMX, that would be a cool classic to own? There's not many Javelin or AMX around anymore, most past owners I knew said they rolled it. A neighbour just restored his AMX and it looks sharp.

I hung on to the old 77 Honda Civic, it's fun with all the kids driving Civics now a days (I guess I was ahead of the times). It was fun after the separation when I took an old high school sweetheart on a date in the same car 25 years later.
    Sold it to some kid in Orangeville in 82 with an extra engine. Had a chance to buy one off ebay after I had just bought a 75 Nova in 04. It had only 140 miles on was in storage since 70. Afather bought for his sons to race.They spent 68-69 preparing it to race when the father was diagnosed with cancer, hence the car put into storage. They woud only pull the car out when their dad got better. He never did. In 03 onso had cancer and they decided to sell. The first time on eBay thet coulsn't get the $13,500.00 they were asking for it. It made it only too $9,000.00. The second time they lowered their reserve and it sold for $9,900.00 I had bid $10,500.00 but the computer crashed just ask I was bidding. By the time the ten minutes went by to get the computer back up it had sold. I saw it for sale two years later for $36,000.00. There is a guy in Port Perry who is according to him one of the worlds largest AMC parts supplier in the world and one of the top three AMC car sales in North America if not the world. I`ll be going to him when I start looking again. He has sold three in the last two years just not my colour.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks Everyone!! :

It's almost Friday!!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good evening Qbee's thanks for the winning words today
    SillyLoocie once again you made my day with your poem,now the pic hmm,we need to have a talk!those white speedos on him are just scary he needs to get some flannels on that butt,LOL
    Im in rep jail already

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble
    The only question I cannot answer... why?

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

A US first grade teacher explained to her class that she is an American. She asked her students to raise their hands if they are American too.
    Not really knowing why but wanting to be like their teacher, their hands went up.There is, however, one exception. A girl named Kristen has not gone along with the class.
    The teacher asked her why she has decided to be different. "Because I am not an American."
    "Then", asks the teacher, "What are you?".
    "I'm a proud Canadian," boasted the little girl.
    The teacher asked Kristen why she is a Canadian.
    "Well, my mom and dad are Canadians, so I'm a Canadian too.
    "The teacher replied," Well, you could have been born in the US!" she said loudly. Not using good logic the teacher said, "What if your mom was not a good hockey player, and your dad was not a good hockey player? Would that mean that you are not a good hockey player too?"
    A pause, and a smile. Kristen replied, "Nope! That'd mean I'm an American!"

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for all the words. Greatly appreciated.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by McSkier View Post
    ROTFL I had a Pacer (aka fishbowl) and put a porsche window banner across the front window.....so loved people taking a second look!!!! next car was a firebird - so I saved face
    great day on the slopes today...back to the hospital tomorrow - so i thank you in advance for the ww...have a good weekend all

We called them Aquariums

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by karmac View Post
    Have you checked out Elvis Costello's show? I forget what it's called but apparently it's really good.
    My wife gave me the season 1 DVDs of Spectacle and I've watched them all at least twice. Elton John is the executive producer of the show. My favourite episodes are interviews with The Police and Diana Krall (Elvis' wife). He asked Elton John to interview Diana and he did a great job. She has an amazing ear for jazz and she's a classy lady to boot. Not as classy as SillyLoocie mind you, but close.
    A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
    Never beam down in a red shirt!
    The reason the Captain gets the girl IS because he's the Captain.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Evening All,

Getting ready to Rollll up a Rimmm....

Thanks for the codes today and all the Muppet talk.

Here is my fav...

Chorus:
    Mahna Mahna
    Do doo be-do-do
    Mahna Mahna
    Do do-do do
    Mahna Mahna
    Do doo be-do-do be-do-do be-do-do be-do-do-doodle do do do-doo do!

(Improv. by Mahna Mahna)

Repeat Chorus

(Improv. by Mahna Mahna)

Repeat Chorus

(Improv. by Mahna Mahna)

Repeat Chorus

(Improv. by Mahna Mahna)

Repeat Chorus twice

<FX>phone rings<FX>

Kermit: "Hello?... Just a second... It's for you..."

Mahna Mahna (from the other end of the phone line): Mahna Mahna!

Wallace: "The question is, what is a Mahna Mahna?"
    Statler: "The question is, who cares?

Polywog

Thread Information