User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    CaToonie
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

On CTV (BC) last night, they announced that tonight, they will air a story on the evening news about how Superstore was re-packaging old fish as new.

I don't buy fish from Superstore but I wonder if this is standard practice in all of their stores/affiliates, i.e., NoFrills, Extra Foods etc.

I had heard rumours in the past and I'm interested to see if the rumours are true. Should be interesting.

Update:
    It is confirmed. RCSS is repackaging.
    http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome
    This thread is currently associated with: Real Canadian Superstore RCSS, Extra Foods, No Frills
    Last edited by shopeasy; Wed, Jan 5th, 2011 at 10:31 AM.

Trading Score
    61 (100%)

oh ewww. I will haev to watch for sure. That just made me cringe, mostly after i just ready about someone bought expired food from SDM. Makes you really think about what your eating
    ~ SwagBucks ~
    Total Coupon Savings Since Nov.17,2010:$4760.11

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

The Loblaws I worked for never did anything like that.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

Yuck! That's why I never buy meat at Superstore...my dad used to work in food inspection facilities for meat packing plants and all that, and anyways a long time ago he had told me that they would place new stickers over the old ones and not even bother repackaging the meat, this was in the early 90's...
    I am going to watch the news tonight for sure.

BTW, I am sure not all grocers do this but I have seen this first hand myself with a little independant grocer here on the Island...ugh.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

oops double post sorry
    Last edited by Litesandsirens911; Tue, Jan 4th, 2011 at 02:24 PM.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

i swear my old fortino's used to change the bread tags so they could sell it because i always check the tags before i buy bread and almost every time i brought it home it wasn't fresh and yet the tag said it still good for x amount of days

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That is disgusting and extremely unethical. The person who eats that fish could potentially get very sick. Maybe not a healthy adult, but if someone has a compromised immune system, or uses it to make baby food for an infant, then the potential for serious illness is there.

I don't mean to freak people out here, but I have heard horror stories about expired meat being sold as the prepared BBQ chicken at Rabba. IIRC they would use chlorine bleach on rotting chicken to remove the odour; then rinse it with water; then season and BBQ it. I thought it was just an urban legend but I have heard this from someone (who I found to be honest and believable) who claimed to be a former employee.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

We never, ever buy meat at Superstore here, too many stories about really bad meat.

But, one thing to look at is at any grocery store - the meat (chicken pieces, pork, ribs, etc.) which is seasoned heavily, and promoted as 'ready to cook' - at some stores, that could be disguising not-so-fresh meat. I would never buy any of them...

You just really need to know in your local area who has the freshest meat at an affordable price.
    As for fish, we only buy IQF and have always had good luck.

A VERY cool site I came across - deals with all sorts of food-type stuff and info about groceries - Look down to the right for listings...
    http://www.fooducate.com/blog/2009/0...yogurt-anyway/

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I think its something that happens store to store basis. I know one here that got caught "bleaching" chickens. Theyd just take the nasty chicken and soak it in bleach for a few minutes... eww eh.

On that note I bought chicken breasts at Zehrs a few months ago, appparently they were good for another 6 days, I opened the package and almost vomitted they were so ROTTEN!!!! I think the whole Loblaw franchise is slowly going down the tubes. Its pretty bad that I'd rather buy meat at basics or walmart then loblaws. A few years ago loblaws here had the best quality, now its just crap.

Its gross to me that packaged meat is apparently good for a week but if its repackaged omg, that means it can be sitting for up to 2 weeks and noones any wiser! I dont buy reduced meat on the premise its been sitting there forever.

I've gotten really picky on buying meat and tend buying frozen packaged meat from our local butcher as its processed and frozen immediately, rather then sitting "fresh" for who knows how long.

BUT its not just meat, I also swear our small grocery store here changes bread tags because it will be stale as heck almost to the point of smelling moldy but apparently it good for another week....

I've ALSO SEEN WITH MY OWN EYES a fresh mart produce manager trimming off the moldy parts of various vegetables, celery, cauliflower etc to make them look like there not going bad.
    Last edited by Sally888; Tue, Jan 4th, 2011 at 04:39 PM.

Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by NancyM View Post
    i swear my old fortino's used to change the bread tags so they could sell it because i always check the tags before i buy bread and almost every time i brought it home it wasn't fresh and yet the tag said it still good for x amount of days
    Ive had this happen numerous times also but i never really thought of re-tagging. and now i buy the full bakery loafs and there soo much better and cheaper! they just go really fast coz its fresh homemade kinda bread mmmm
    ~ SwagBucks ~
    Total Coupon Savings Since Nov.17,2010:$4760.11

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

One thing I do remember about RCSS deli meat is that if the price goes down on a Sunday, they rip off the sticker, reprice it and it ends up with the new expiry date on the label. So if lets say Ham went on sale on Sunday January 9, and some of the packages were due to expire January 12th after they reprice all their packaging the new expiry date would be January 16th.

I'm not sure if they have fixed their machines since to change the date but I remember I used to black out the expiry date and write in pen myself what it should be. But that was not required or taught to us, it was just my common sense.

This is just for deli meats they vacuum pack themselves. Some of the deli meats come from the actual company and have expiry dates stamped directly onto the ends of the packages.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

can you put if a link of that video?
    i dont live in BC but i would LOVE to watch this
    thanks

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    I think its something that happens store to store basis. I know one here that got caught "bleaching" chickens. Theyd just take the nasty chicken and soak it in bleach for a few minutes... eww eh.

On that note I bought chicken breasts at Zehrs a few months ago, appparently they were good for another 6 days, I opened the package and almost vomitted they were so ROTTEN!!!! I think the whole Loblaw franchise is slowly going down the tubes. Its pretty bad that I'd rather buy meat at basics or walmart then loblaws. A few years ago loblaws here had the best quality, now its just crap.

Its gross to me that packaged meat is apparently good for a week but if its repackaged omg, that means it can be sitting for up to 2 weeks and noones any wiser! I dont buy reduced meat on the premise its been sitting there forever.

I've gotten really picky on buying meat and tend buying frozen packaged meat from our local butcher as its processed and frozen immediately, rather then sitting "fresh" for who knows how long.

BUT its not just meat, I also swear our small grocery store here changes bread tags because it will be stale as heck almost to the point of smelling moldy but apparently it good for another week....

I've ALSO SEEN WITH MY OWN EYES a fresh mart produce manager trimming off the moldy parts of various vegetables, celery, cauliflower etc to make them look like there not going bad.

Hey Sally,
    wouldn't suggest you buy bar cheese at that store when it is on sale as it does not always end up in the refrigerator walk in.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I try not to shop in town at all haha! I think Ive been in freshmart once in the past year. Foodland I frequent more but Im sooo picky

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I had a friend who used to work at our local Extra Foods years ago and she worked in the meat department and she said they did exactly that. She thought it was absolutely disgusting and they told her if she didn't redate it she'd be fired. She quit.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information