User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Bunnies and easter eggs

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Does anyone know what these 2 things have to do with Easter? . . . . .
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A rabbit watched Jesus come back to life, and it sh*t an egg. Jesus turned the egg into chocolate. The rest is history.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

While I enjoyed the previous answer IMMENSELY I believe they are symbols of renewal......more of a spring thing than an easter thing, life is again returning after the winter. Still chuckling though

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Bunnies and eggs as symbols come from pagan roots - added into Easter celebrations separately from the traditional Christian Easter commemoration.
    Rabbits are symbolic of fertility (their high reproduction rate), as are eggs. Both are also representative of the rebirth of nature following winter.

"The first Easter bunny legend was documented in the 1500s. By 1680, the first story about a rabbit laying eggs and hiding them in a garden was published. These legends were brought to the United States in the 1700s when German immigrants settled in Pennsylvania Dutch country, according to the Center for Children's Literature and Culture.

The tradition of making nests for the rabbit to lay its eggs in soon followed. Eventually, nests became decorated baskets and colorful eggs were swapped for candy, treats and other small gifts."

http://news.discovery.com/history/wh...th-easter.html
    MamaF likes this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I'm not a religious zealot but I do consider this to be a "Holy Week." I realize that others do not share my beliefs and I don't expect them to. I have worked for the right of everyone to have their own beliefs withouth discrimination. I have to say, however, that I do not appreciate my beliefs being maligned. Not to say that I believe in bunnies and eggs. But please respect my belief in Jesus as a holy person. I would never make fun of other people's holy figures.
    DiamondLil and Lynn49 like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by muggos0101 View Post
    A rabbit watched Jesus come back to life, and it sh*t an egg. Jesus turned the egg into chocolate. The rest is history.

hahahaha +1

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    I'm not a religious zealot but I do consider this to be a "Holy Week." I realize that others do not share my beliefs and I don't expect them to. I have worked for the right of everyone to have their own beliefs withouth discrimination. I have to say, however, that I do not appreciate my beliefs being maligned. Not to say that I believe in bunnies and eggs. But please respect my belief in Jesus as a holy person. I would never make fun of other people's holy figures.
    I must agree with you there. I just don't understand the combination of Jesus death with pagan symbols. I mean, is that what he would want? . . .
    anisa likes this.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    I must agree with you there. I just don't understand the combination of Jesus death with pagan symbols. I mean, is that what he would want? . . .
    Well, Jesus's birth (Christmas) is linked to myriad pagan symbols including Christmas trees, wreaths and garlands made of cedar boughs, etc. etc. Associating pagan rituals with Christian events was one of the ways that Christianity spread and overtook other pagan belief systems, just like the Roman style of conquering. It more or less said, "Hey, you're a pagan, but join us Christians (or other groups of conquerors in other times and places) because you can (kinda sorta) keep your own ceremonies and traditions while we rule over you." Not necessarily what any one person wants/doesn't want, but a way to spread a religious faith....

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post

Well for those of us who don't believe that jesus existed it's a fun alternative and the kids love it.

Just like at xmas for those of us who don't believe we have Santa.

Xmas and easter are all just random dates of when the events "occured" since there is no relevant historal account.
    c_mcarthur likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not to start a debate or anything, but historical records are pretty clear that Jesus existed. i think it's more of a matter whether you believe his message or not.
    In regards to pulling in pagan worshipers. to "Christianity" . .it seems like that was more of a ruse to develop a quantity of followers rather then converting. How can you have possibly converted someone when they continue with their pagan rituals? Doesn't make any sense to me. Early Christians completely shunned pagan practices.
    I just keep going back to. . .what would Jesus want? It seems the Bible's quite clear on what God thinks of pagan practices.

I guess I wonder, why not just shed the whole pretense of anything to do with Jesus for these "holidays" and just make them the "fun alternative" that Patty referred to?? . . . . .

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Wow. I'm staying out of this one, but I do agree with Avon....using the words "Jesus" and "**it" in the same sentence is just disrespectful.
    anisa and VeeVee like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Like Jesus never took a sh*t? Ask yourself, what would Jesus do? If he was healthy, probably take a sh*t every morning.
    Last edited by muggos0101; Thu, Jun 7th, 2012 at 11:57 PM.
    renegado likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Like Jesus never took a sh*t? Ask yourself, what would Jesus do? If he was healthy, probably take a sh*t every morning.
    2 months later and that's your great comeback?? why even bother bumping this thread..really.
    DaveP and danger_dan like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmel View Post
    2 months later and that's your great comeback?? why even bother bumping this thread..really.
    Obvious troll is obvious.
    Last edited by DaveP; Fri, Jun 8th, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
    danger_dan likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Name:  shipment.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  34.2 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information