User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Canada Trust Put Me On Tilt Twice in Two Days!

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

They must not work in the business cage. After handing over 20k in cash to someone, rent money wouldn't make me bat an eye! LOL.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ashokia View Post
    They must not work in the business cage. After handing over 20k in cash to someone, rent money wouldn't make me bat an eye! LOL.
    That may be why I don't have any issues with getting cash, I usually have business deposits to do too so go to the business teller
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    Wait until someone tells you they have to speak to her to get permission to speak to you
    Actually that did happen when my wifes mother passed away and Chris was in charge of cancelling the few credit cards that she had.

Chris phoned the one credit card company and the conversation went something like this:

Chris: Hi there, I am calling because my grandmother (name given) passed away so we need to close the account.
    Agent: Are you the cardholder?
    Chris: No, that would be (name given again), I am her grandson.
    Agent: Okay well in that case, I need to speak with the card holder to get permission to talk to you about their account.
    Chris: (brief silence to process what was just said) Umm that will not be possible, she passed away two days ago.
    Agent: I am sorry but I need to speak with (name of deceased) to get permission to talk to you.
    Chris: You cannot talk to her, she passed away two days ago.
    Agent: I understand, is there a number that I can reach the card holder at to verify that it is okay to talk to you.
    Chris: (fists now clenched) Do you have the direct number to God? I am not sure if it is a toll free number or not?
    Agent: I am sorry, I don't understand what you are saying?
    Chris: What part of "she is DEAD (higher voice)" do you not comprehend here. She is dead and not able to speak to you!!
    Agent: Oh I am very sorry about that, can you hold for a moment.

Approximately five minutes after that, the account was closed.

Also, this has been mentioned elsewhere but when I called the one insurance company to start the claim for Lynda's death, the woman gave her condolences, took down all the information then at the end of the conversation says to me "You have a good weekend Mr. Weaver!" I hung up the phoned stunned and not knowing what to say to that!!!!!! I can laugh about it now, but at the time I could have reached the phone and smacked her!
    Missing my Best Friend since 1971. RIP Lynda (1947-2012)

Have Questions About Internet Marketing? ASK ME!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Okay I get the first part about handing over 20k at the business teller, but do not get the point about rent money? I had an insurance cheque that was refused.... Your post confuses me....

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Someone else mentioned the tellers are rude when she asks for cash, like they don't want her to spend her own money, ashokia was replying to them saying that she, as a teller, had a higher limit because she works the business counter, and did not find it strange people would want cash
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    Someone else mentioned the tellers are rude when she asks for cash, like they don't want her to spend her own money, ashokia was replying to them saying that she, as a teller, had a higher limit because she works the business counter, and did not find it strange people would want cash
    Oh okay, now I get it. The part that set me off was not that I wanted cash, but that the girl said they were putting a hold on an insurance cheque. I had enough cash in my chequing account to cover any withdrawal that I wanted to make, but it was the holding of the cheque that I didn't agree with.

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by theweaves_dad View Post
    Oh okay, now I get it. The part that set me off was not that I wanted cash, but that the girl said they were putting a hold on an insurance cheque. I had enough cash in my chequing account to cover any withdrawal that I wanted to make, but it was the holding of the cheque that I didn't agree with.
    An insurance cheque can be forged. A business cheque can be forged. A money order can be forged. A bank draft from our own bank can be forged. Yes it isn't likely that an insurance cheque from a billion dollar company being deposited by a long-standing client of our bank is fraudulent - but it does happen. If it didn't happen, these security measures wouldn't be in place.

The tellers don't write the cheques, or put the hold on your account. We just deposit the cheque. The system puts the hold on it, not us. It is automatic. Yet still I get yelled at at least once a week by an irate customer who believes I'm personally trying to screw them out of their money. Really, I'm not!!

It would be nice if they directed their anger at the cheap who didn't certify their cheque (especially if they are a billion dollar insurance company!!!) so we could verify the funds right away - thus negating the need for a hold, or the financial rep who obviously failed to disclose the fact that any and all cheques after a certain amount would be held the standard five business days when the account was first opened.

So, the morale of the story is - don't hate on the teller for doing their job right! Hate on the people who did the job wrong!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Anyone who wonders why banks put holds on cheques so watch the movie Catch Me If You Can
    gracesmommy likes this.

jnazurk
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

So sorry for your loss, weaves dad. It is hard to have to deal with everything at the same time. You don't get any time outs because everything needs to be dealt with ASAP . It's hard.

When my MIL passed, my SIL (mother-daughter) went to the bank to deal with her affairs. The teller made a comment to her about how "she must be happy".

How friggin rude and insensitive is that?
    Last edited by Jnazurk; Mon, Apr 9th, 2012 at 10:50 PM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

An insurance cheque can be forged. A business cheque can be forged. A money order can be forged. A bank draft from our own bank can be forged. Yes it isn't likely that an insurance cheque from a billion dollar company being deposited by a long-standing client of our bank is fraudulent - but it does happen. If it didn't happen, these security measures wouldn't be in place.

The tellers don't write the cheques, or put the hold on your account. We just deposit the cheque. The system puts the hold on it, not us. It is automatic. Yet still I get yelled at at least once a week by an irate customer who believes I'm personally trying to screw them out of their money. Really, I'm not!!

It would be nice if they directed their anger at the cheap who didn't certify their cheque (especially if they are a billion dollar insurance company!!!) so we could verify the funds right away - thus negating the need for a hold, or the financial rep who obviously failed to disclose the fact that any and all cheques after a certain amount would be held the standard five business days when the account was first opened.

So, the morale of the story is - don't hate on the teller for doing their job right! Hate on the people who did the job wrong!
    I am not disputing the fact that cheques can be forged or bank drafts can be forged (know someone who actually did that and got caught and went to prison for it!). I guess it was just my nerves were so on edge that night, it ticked me off.

Talking to someone who works at a different Canada Trust, she told me that what I should have done that night was walk away from the teller with the cheque in hand like I did, but rather then leaving, I should have gone to the Customer Service counter and asked for a supervisor and explained it to them. The supervisor could have checked my wifes account and seen that it had been frozen due to her death (had to meet with a bank person and give death certificate etc. and the account was froze until mid April to allow her last pension cheque to get deposited). Then the supervisor probably would have approved it.

In any event, it is all straightened out now and I should have no problems next time I go in. I realize they are following rules and everything but it was her lousy attitude that was the part that ticked me off the most.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jnazurk View Post
    So sorry for your loss, weaves dad. It is hard to have to deal with everything at the same time. You don't get any time outs because everything needs to be dealt with ASAP . It's hard.

When my MIL passed, my SIL (mother-daughter) went to the bank to deal with her affairs. The teller made a comment to her about how "she must be happy" (once she looked at the account).

How friggin rude and insensitive is that?
    Huh? What? She looked at the account of the MIL and then said that??? What was she thinking? The only thing that I can think of is there must have been a large amount of money in the account??

If the teller had of said that to me, me going on tilt probably would have immediately been followed by myself being put in handcuffs and the teller spending the rest of her shift in ER as a result of me jumping the counter and attacking her!

Ranks right up there with this, in case you missed it above:

Also, this has been mentioned elsewhere but when I called the one insurance company to start the claim for Lynda's death, the woman gave her condolences, took down all the information then at the end of the conversation says to me "You have a good weekend Mr. Weaver!" I hung up the phoned stunned and not knowing what to say to that!!!!!! I can laugh about it now, but at the time I could have reached the phone and smacked her!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I am very sorry for your loss

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

I am very sorry for your loss.

Hopefully you won't have any more difficulties like that. Each bank is different and even knowing how to navigate something like that is difficult because there can be so many pieces that need to be dealt with when you are in an emotional state.

Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

jnazurk
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

[QUOTE=theweaves_dad;4588095]Huh? What? She looked at the account of the MIL and then said that??? What was she thinking? The only thing that I can think of is there must have been a large amount of money in the account??

Nothing major~I don't know WHAT she was thinking!
    And I did miss that second story. YEESH

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Alot of banks have limits on how much you can withdrawl even in Canadian cash. If I needed that much US cash I would call ahead of time not just expect them to carry large ammounts of foreign currency because they're a bank.
    One time our bank treated us like criminals because we thier computers were down so they couldn't access anyone's accounts to give cashback they could only do deposits. Yes I realize my husband's paycheque was quite large but at what point did we even say we wanted any cash back!
    So we just left & went to our main branch, because I didn't that cheque would ever make it to our account
    I am currently looking for coupons for non parishable foods or grocery coupons good until December to help with Christmas food helpers.
    If you have any to trade please PM me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information