User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: My Mom is learning to use Facebook and is embarrasing me everywhere.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am trying to be a responsible coupon er and if I go to Walmart and they ring through my coupons without complaint and treat me like a human being I will fill out a complement card for the cashier. If they have a Facebook I will also put my good experience on the facebook page. This also goes the other way. If I have a bad experience I try not to get upset at the store level but go through customer service and one of these is again to post my experience on there Facebook page. Now remember I also post good experiences. I posted a bad experience I had and my mom who lives in England and is just learning Facebook posts "you should have slapped that B...... In the mouth. You should complain" She has no clue that other ppl can read it. I am so embarrassed because that is not me I want to remain calm and not give a bad name to couponers. Now she has gone to bed and that is going to sit there. I messaged the company and apologized and asked them to delete the comment. I also posted under it. I am going to tell my mom not to post on my stuff anymore. That is now going to reflect badly on me. I can not believe it!!!!!!
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

First, congrats that your Mom is on Facebook. Mine won't do this.

Sometimes Moms do these things.
    My Mom held up an entire store dressing room line, looking at a dress I was trying on.
    To make it worse, she asked the 10 people waiting in line, if they liked the dress.
    I was shocked that they were pleased that my Mom asked for their opinion - she got at least 8 responses.
    I was graduating grade 8 and I still remember this embarrassing moment.

For your facebook situation, "this too shall pass".

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

My sister who is 9 years older than me and she does it all the time. Puts embarrassing things and pictures. I have learned to go into FB and make private or if it is shows on my wall I will delete it. I posted on thing about going to Toronto to see in laws and she went crazy and I had people call me asking me if I was safe in Toronto. If I post something I know my sister will go crazy I block her from seeing it.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I am a mother and a grandmother and have Facebook but I do not want to be |freinds | with any of my children. they have lives and I do want to to be snooping. Just how I feel. Saw a great t shirt the other day and this sums it up for me.....

Nexopia..Because My Mom is On Facebook.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

You might want to hide some of your posts from her by changing your privacy controls.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Companies see this stuff all the time. They probably think she's just another troll. I wouldn't worry about it reflecting badly on you, but definitely inform her of the public nature!
    hollyquaiscer likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

lol. You just gotta love her even though its embarrassing. <3

My mother was a very frugal woman and she had a habit of going into stores and making a public scene when she'd read the price tag and disagree with what the store had priced an item at. LOL. She pick the item up, scan the price tag and if she felt it unreasonable, she'd screech in a louder than necessary voice, "50 dollars? 50 DOLLARS?" before slapping it back on the shelf. Then she'd mutter quasi under her breath, "I'm not paying 50 dollars for THAT."

When this happened as a teenager, I just wanted to slither under the nearest shelving unit and hope no one would notice that we were together.

It WAS embarrassing...but...our moms don't get to be here forever and there will come a day when you would wish for nothing more than to have your mom post something embarrassing on your FB wall.

I'd give anything now to go in the store and hear my mom screech out the price in that voice...but alas, she passed away 10 years ago.

Do yourself a favour if it troubles you that much-- use the privacy setting to limit the information your mom can see or do with your profile...if mom doesn't realize that everyone in the world can read what she writes, then she also won't realize that you can control what gets shown and can edit out her musings that you find embarrassing.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ninna View Post
    l
    When this happened as a teenager, I just wanted to slither under the nearest shelving unit and hope no one would notice that we were together.

I'd give anything now to go in the store and hear my mom screech out the price in that voice...but alas, she passed away 10 years ago.
    Nice memory.
    And now you are a SmartCanuck - knowing how to scope out a great deal.
    Hmmm. Wonder who's influence is showing here? Your Mom?

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Nice memory.
    And now you are a SmartCanuck - knowing how to scope out a great deal.
    Hmmm. Wonder who's influence is showing here? Your Mom?
    I know, right? Oh, the irony.

Except...I never had the issue with her being frugal at all. lol. I just hated the public display of indignance. I might very well go into a store and think, "50 dollars? 50 DOLLARS???" but I think it. I'd never screech it out loud.

OP- my first thought when I read your post was, "gulp. What things do I do as a parent that drive my kids nuts?" lol. Good time for self reflection.

Except--I already know the answer for mine...my DD is a plastic bag snob and asking her to put her wet swimsuit in a grocery bag after swimming lessons is apparently the most horrible thing on earth and she simply cannot believe I'm asking her to be caught dead with a plastic bag. Like, its so uncool and I ought to know better.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    412 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ninna View Post
    my DD is a plastic bag snob and asking her to put her wet swimsuit in a grocery bag after swimming lessons is apparently the most horrible thing on earth and she simply cannot believe I'm asking her to be caught dead with a plastic bag. Like, its so uncool and I ought to know better.
    LOL THAT IS HILARIOUS. I am 24, to me, a plastic bag is THE ONLY thing you can use to transport a wet swimsuit. To her, she probably sees it as looking cheap or something. I think it's a great idea, I remember mom used to put them in the lining of my boots in the winter when I was in elementary school. Do you suppose that she would protest that as well? haha I love kids, they are so funny (wish I still was one!)
    i_love_to_save likes this.
    Quickly & Easily Earn FREE $$ or Giftcards with Swagbucks.com

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    56 (100%)

Aw I actually just read that on the Facebook page of a company, I was kinda shocked. However my mom just embarrasses me in general so I don't have her on Facebook at all!!sorry your mom wrote that !
    krazytwacy likes this.

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

I so used to HATE carrying my swim suit in a plastic bag. lol. now I roll it in a towel and place it in a regular bag. My mother still embarrasses me, but much worse now. She has a mental disorder. I don't get embarrassed when I have to tell people, like my DS principle at school. It's embarrassing when she walks around doing slightly odd things or saying odd things, but not harmful.
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

I know how you can feel.....a friend of mine his mom wanted to be friend with me on facebook..and my friend say to me she will comment everything so feel free to say no...I do not know how she know me...her son never talk about me and he is now an ex boy friend...if the mom would know stuff about him from me because I was his girlfriend ....she missed because its not my thing to do that lol....moms can be overwhelming and she dont make that in negative way ...maybe she did not realize
    Last edited by cath007; Wed, Jul 25th, 2012 at 12:17 AM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My mom deleted it. Thanks to everyone all of you made me LMAO a few times and I feel so much better now. Now she posted after she deleted " I don't know what the big deal is its in your inbox" hahahaaha Oh boy. I think i will work on the privacy settings. And one of you saw it oh boy. Thank goodness its deleted. You guys are great.
    hollyquaiscer and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

While in Zellers yesterday (it was the first day of liquidation for that store) there was a couple (probably in their early 60's) in the same department as me. He would pick up items off the shelf, say " $@$^&@ " and put the item back down. He was more like yelling about the prices of almost everything. I was wondering if he realized how loud he was talking and if he knew that he looked like some type of fool. I h themselves anymore.ope that anyone else in the store that rants like that in public would hear him and realize how rediculous he looked and think twice about doing that

As a mom and grandmother, I know I have done tons of stuff to embarass my children, but we all have. But as ninna said, when we're gone, our children would give anything to have us back. Your mom is just learning about facebook and probably doesn't realize the ramifications of what she writes and the amount of people that can see it. I happy she took it off and hopefully you and she can have a talk about what she should, and shouldn't comment on.
    thriftygranny likes this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information