User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By aemi

Thread: Tax question???

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Hi Everyone,

My husband did his taxes with an account and my dad did my taxes through the old fashioon way, the paper booklet. Now me and my husband do our taxes separately so I want to know this?

Do I have to put my husband info with my taxes, ei social insurance #, name etc or just put my information? It does have a secetion for it, but i am confused if I need to add this if my husband has already done his taxes????

Any info would be great!

Thanks,
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Fri, Apr 20th, 2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: already found out my answer lol

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

We're dinosaurs here, we still do our taxes in paper-form. As far as I know, you are required to put your spouse's info too. I would do it, just in case NOT doing it gets you ged in some way.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I never knew you can do taxes in paper-form.

later: I'm gonna tell all my friends about this.
    Natalka and ssbean like this.
    Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Get up to 18 GB in free online storage when you sign-up using this link -> http://db.tt/218DjYg

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

LOL aemi!

I do ours on paper, too. Yes, you have to include the spousal information on your return.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I usually TELEFILE , but this year , I did a paper return.

Yes you have to put your spouses name too.

Just make sure that some of the deductions , credits , rebates etc can be claimed by only one person..i.e either or .

so if your husband has already claimed some of these common credits , make sure you don't claim them all over again ..otherwise it will be duplicate claims.

Usually some of these common claims are claimed by the higher income earner , so as to reduce his/her taxes..the lower income earner might not make full use of them, so its better if the higher income earner claims them.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Glad you have your answer, OP!

Though as mentioned before, best to ask husband if he claimed the family's charitable donations, medical expenses, property tax or rental income payments or any dependent children. Plus if you possibly have spousal amount credit (in case you earned some income but not enough to erase the spousal amount, husband might have been in position to claim that non-refundable credit).

I'm going to assume all's well and husband had to use accountant because of complicated investment income, rental income or commission income that applied to his return. If you two are not discussing money matters, then make sure you read your Notice of Assessment when it comes in the mail in about 6 weeks after you file your return. (I still file a paper return.)
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I am pretty sure you put your spouse on each one him with hers and her with his.

The funny thing is, it does not matter that you are married fourty one years and every year you check off "married" on the tax forms... when significant other dies, the government needs a copy of your marraige certificate and the death certificate! Just goota check you were fooling the past 4 decades you know!

I usually do mine on the computer but the last few years wee had an acccountant do it for the business stuff. For the past 3 years, RC has written me asking for proof of medical expenses,school tuition etc. It is probably because when Lynda was at home, we had lots of medical deductions. It didn't hut my return, just sent the stuff in to prove it... just a pain doing it!

This year, I am paper filing with alll the receipts enclosed. Get it done right the first time!
    Missing my Best Friend since 1971. RIP Lynda (1947-2012)

Have Questions About Internet Marketing? ASK ME!

Thread Information