User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Loblaws throwing out good food!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a good friend who has worked at RCSS for 10+ years. He says that the store always calls the food bank and womens shelter to pick up expired food that is still perfectly fine for consumption. The organizations never bother to come and pick up the food, they say they dont have the gas, truck or anyone to pick it up. So they end up throwing away good food.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Sometimes when there is a sale on steak, there are some old steaks mixed up in the batch with green around the edges. Yuck. You have to check the best before dates. Even the reduced steaks at 30% or 50% off in another section looks better than this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ***Kimura*** View Post
    I have a good friend who has worked at RCSS for 10+ years. He says that the store always calls the food bank and womens shelter to pick up expired food that is still perfectly fine for consumption. The organizations never bother to come and pick up the food, they say they dont have the gas, truck or anyone to pick it up. So they end up throwing away good food.
    I have a friend at Loblaws. They give the baked goods/bread to the food bank. The food bank in that area comes once a week to pick up from the bakery and then opens the food bank to distribute the bread the same afternoon. So the bread does not stay in the food bank for very long.
    lecale likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

i guess mostly because of the risk of frivolous lawsuits and giving stuff away spoiling their business model. they should try to do something useful with all the expired stuff instead of just dumping it. maybe start a compost. it would be even better if they weren't so stingy with discounting expiring foods so someone can get some use out of it.
    Enjoy chatting on forums or blogs? Get paid $0.05+ per post at Postloop!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I have a friend at Loblaws. They give the baked goods/bread to the food bank. The food bank in that area comes once a week to pick up from the bakery and then opens the food bank to distribute the bread the same afternoon. So the bread does not stay in the food bank for very long.
    Sounds like your food bank has their sh!t together, unlike the one in our town.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

It is probably part of second harvest
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I agree with you. It's so very wasteful.
    On the other hand don't eat expired pecans. When they're shelled they go rancid pretty fast.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

My Maxi sells their produce and meat at quick sale. Every time I purchased it the meat was rancid and I had to return it right away. I NEVER buy quick sale items anymore. They even tried to sell Olay products from 2006. I was wondering why my moisturizer smelt bad.
    I do not want to waste my money on rotten/rotting food. I do not want to get sick or have spoiled food.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I worked at a save on for a brief time and during our orientation we toured the back area , we came to the dumpster and I looked in the one for produce etc and the amount of fruit and veggies was crazy , I got a really good look at it and their were strawberries etc that looked just fine , maybe they were getting a bit on the old side but in todays day and age that is pathetic to throw that food out when kids around Canada go hungry to bed each night .

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 03:11 PM.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I used to work at a Home Decor store and most food items would be written off months before the expiry. It always broke my heart to throw garbage bags of food away. Whenever I would ask why, they would explain that it had something to do with liability issues.

Plus if we ever returned a pillow we had to slice a hole in it and it was thrown away. Obviously for hygiene issues, but I still didn't understand why they wouldn't donate them to shelters. If I was homeless or very poor I think I would take a "used once" pillow over the ground any day or nothing any day!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information