User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Police Officers and Indentifying themselves

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Cops often go on a power trip.

More often than not they don't follow their own rules as they know they can't be touched.

Their union is too strong and the SIU is a joke , where the cops or ex cops invetigate their own.

The abuse of power during the G20 was evident. They had their name tags on but they delibrately covered them up , so that no one could see them.

Cops should go after the violent protesters and not the peaceful protesters , who have every right to peacefully protest.

If you think that we don't live in a police state , think again.
    I agree that there were issues at G20 but I think saying individual police officers "more often than not" don't follow their own rules etc. is an over statement. The majority of police officers do not abuse their powers and are not on a power trip. The system is not perfect but your post is inflammatory and not based on fact.

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

This is a very interesting topic, particularly for anyone who is pro civil liberties, like me. I haven't looked into the law in this area and will refrain from comment until I do. However, comments based on speculation and generalizations are not helpful.
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Merician Loving Nuck! kparker1786's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello! I'm new and was just browsing and this caught my attention. Read through it and have a few things that I just gotta say...
    Are you not reading what's being written?
    I may be new but I can read. This girl is asking about if a cop is supposed to ID himself. From my experience they ARE supposed to. I watched that video, obviously they are working under some sort of bullcrap. This guy they arrested did nothing but chant. Big whoop! You may not agree with the protest, that's FINE. Like someone said, agree to disagree. HOWEVER, you are bullying this poor girl. Bashing her and her views. How are you any better than anyone? Newsflash, you AREN'T! Same goes for cops, they are NOT better than anyone else, they are NOT above the law. If I was being arrested, I'd want damn proof that it was a cop. I don't need someone putting me in handcuffs and then finding out, oh he's a sexual predator who killed a cop and stole his uniform! You say that doesn't happen, you obviously watch CBC News, and nothing else. Here's some advice, watch some other news too not just the Conservative sides of it.

Stick to the topic, stop running people down. I'm a teacher, and I have not seen any such bullying in my time as a teacher as I've seen here. Childishness is what some of you are showing. Sheesh!
    Last edited by Jezebel; Wed, May 9th, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
    TaraF, Patty Smyth and Snow Queen like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    He had to have done something (or maybe not done what the Officer instructed him to do) to warrant an arrest.
    Excuse me but I am sure the thousands of innocent people who get exonterated year after year after spending decades in jail due to false charges would claim otherwise.

This was a group of people, including kids, just chanting for something that they believed in. Someone above me claimed this didn't look peaceful. If you want to claim this isn't peaceful then lets not get in to the riots that occuring in Greece every week. The problem I have with many individuals in this country is they dont want to stand up for anything in their life and will listen to anything that is spoon-fed to them by the government and by big organizations.
    Last edited by Snow Queen; Tue, May 8th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
    TaraF, Patty Smyth, lekate and 1 others like this.
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Well kparker1786 welcome to SC! And um nothing like throwing yourself to the lions right away haha but you make a great point on the uniform bit, and aside from that I thought it was our right as Canadians to have a gun carrying cop identify himself when asked?

And Snow Queen, good point as well. I've seen many different videos from different people from difference angles and Derek did nothing. Infact he politely put his mic and speaker down and tried to reason with the officer. But again, that's not why I started this thread, I simply wanted to know if someone could point me to the direction of online information pertaining to police badge/nametag/identity procedures.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    I have respect for any police officer that shows me respect, and by refusing to identify yourself when asked politely to do so they are not showing me any respect. Also when you are in a large crowd that is either hostile or you view has the ability to become hostile, why wouldn't you take every measure to calm them? And if simply giving them your name or badge number when asked could calm them, why wouldn't you? Seems to me more of a control issue on their part or they are looking for violence.
    Actually, there is good reason for police to not give names (badge number is a whole other story) - protests seem to attract at least one individual who may take things too far (it's not unheard of to have cop's families threatened - I heard a few horror stories when I was on the CPLC). And, with all due respect, I saw a few faces in that clip that I recognized from other protests (different theme), so I'm not sure anything would have placated those folks.

Quote Originally Posted by saveadollardiva View Post
    But also there are the complaints that are true and vaild and should be looked at and dealt with.
    Yep. & before I am accused of being a police apologist, I should mention that a few years back I was in a situation where a reckless officer mistook me for a criminal & treated me in a less than respectful way (& the complaints process was a nightmare - that despite knowing how the system works).

And even if you don't agree with the chants that were being chanted, the protest was civil and fine but once Derek was arrested on the bogus count of "inciting a riot" and police wouldn't give up names, people got upset.
    Not sure what you mean by civil? Sure punches weren't being thrown, but playing in traffic is never a good idea (seemed like a rather busy street - sorry, not familiar with the neighbourhood).

...and I know what peoples opinions of me are as well since being vocal. The threats are unnerving but I also know that when people start threatening you that you've struck a nerve and are on to something
    I hope you know that just because I don't believe in your politics (nor do you in mine), that doesn't mean I don't think well of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    And and by no means is this a Police State. Most do not know what a true Police State is like.
    +1. I've had the (mis) fortune of visiting more than one country where freedom is a fairy tale. Canada is a far cry from that.

It was a bogus arrest fitting of a bogus Government and the "Police" were only instigating the peaceful protesters.
    If this were a "police state", then folks protesting a "bogus Govt" would not be able to have lively discussions on boards such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by kparker1786 View Post
    You say that doesn't happen, you obviously watch CBC News, and nothing else. Here's some advice, watch some other news too not just the Conservative sides of it.
    Sorry, I`m really really confused (not unheard of ). Are you saying the CBC is biased *towards* the Conservatives?

Oh & my opinions are based on info gathered from more than one source (I watch CBC, BBC, Sun News, CTV, Global, CNN & I read several papers). & somehow, I`m still right of centre in my politics.

Stick to the topic, stop running people down. I'm a teacher, and I have not seen any such bullying in my time as a teacher as I've seen here. Childishness is what some of you are showing. Sheesh!
    I saw some lively debate here, but I don`t see any bullying? Maybe I`m just an eternal optimist who likes to see the good in everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Queen View Post
    Excuse me but I am sure the thousands of innocent people who get exonterated year after year after spending decades in jail due to false charges would claim otherwise.
    Do you have any stats on this? I`m not trying to be difficult, I`m really curious & would love to read more about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Queen View Post
    This was a group of people, including kids, just chanting for something that they believed in. Someone above me claimed this didn't look peaceful. If you want to claim this isn't peaceful then lets not get in to the riots that occuring in Greece every week. The problem I have with many individuals in this country is they dont want to stand up for anything in their life and will listen to anything that is spoon-fed to them by the government and by big organizations.
    I think the objection was that folks were going out into traffic which could be a dangerous thing for passing motorists (& especially if parents are allowing children to be in harm`s way).

& I agree that folks should do their own due diligence & form their own opinions, rather than simply repeating what others around them are saying.

I just want to thank everyone for their opinions. It is nice to be able to hear other viewpoints.
    abbasgirl, Natalka, lecale and 1 others like this.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Andit, this wasn't directed at me: Sorry, I`m really really confused (not unheard of ). Are you saying the CBC is biased *towards* the Conservatives?

But I did want to comment, but I couldn't figure out how to quote just that one thing out of our long post LOL But here goes my take on that

1. The CBC is a Crown Corporation and owned by the Government of Canada so that alone is basis to wonder if their reporting is biased.
    2. A new code of conduct was unleashed on CBC employees that their union are trying to fight that says they can only report and speak of the Harper Government and their Ministers in good light.

So conclude as you will from the following article.

Merician Loving Nuck! kparker1786's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes, CBC IS biased towards Conservatives. Was going to post the link but TaraF beat me to it.

As for the bullying, 'lively debate" is one thing. But saying "If you are willing to kick an Officer in the nuts, then be prepared to get thrown to the ground. HARD! You say you have respect, but I do not see it in your posts." is RUDE and very ignorant.. I'd do the same thing unless he ID'd himself! I will not be taken by some random dude unless I see a badge.

I personally, do not support Conservatives. Never have, nor will I ever. Plus I harbour some major hate towards Liberals, so obviously I'm NDP. My husband however is all for BQ BAHAHA (He's American)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm sorry but I found that video disgusting. I am 100% siding with the cops on this one. I think they showed incredible restraint! A great job on their part.

...From what I've always heard, cbc is liberal biased. This is the first I've seen them being accused of Conservative bias.
    Last edited by erin9mmm; Tue, May 8th, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
    Natalka likes this.
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by erin9mmm View Post

...From what I've always heard, cbc is liberal biased. This is the first I've seen them being accused of Conservative bias.
    From my outsider's POV, CBC is like BBC. Accused of having a pro-Conservative bias when the Liberals/Labour party are in power and accused to having a pro-Liberal/Labour bias when the Conservatives are in power.
    FallenPixels and erin9mmm like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    I saw some lively debate here, but I don`t see any bullying? Maybe I`m just an eternal optimist who likes to see the good in everyone?
    There isn't any bullying, here. If there had been it would be against site rules and I for one would have reported it.

SC is a nice oasis of internet sanity. I can think of places like 4-chan where bullying is part of the culture.
    Sally888 and erin9mmm like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

The demand that police identify themselves in this type of situation is irritating to me. Did the protesters all have name tags on identifying who they were to television cameras and to the police officers? To ask a police officer in the midst of a not so peaceful protest to stop managing the crowd in order to appease them by hauling out their identification could be rather unwise. (While this was not a riot, I can just imagine what would have happened at the Stanley Cup riots if all the cops had stopped to nicely ID themselves to the crowd). In this case, the angrily chanting crowd showed a lack of respect for the police, yet vocally demanded the police showed respect for them. Tough job to be a police officer. Although there are occasions when they are rightfully criticized, it seems some days that it doesn't matter what they do...it just isn't good enough.
    Natalka, nightlite and erin9mmm like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

erin9mmm I agree with you the video is disgusting. The police instigated a peaceful demonstration and riled up a peaceful crowd the POLICE are disgusting. While you might not like the chants they were using (and I suspect anyone that supports the Conservatives wouldn't) anyone viewing that video sees a peaceful demonstration until Derek is arrested, than people get angry. People get angrier when they see police with no ID and refusing to ID themselves. The charges against Derek will be dropped because they are bogus.
    Last edited by TaraF; Tue, May 8th, 2012 at 11:36 PM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What is shown in the video is no where near a riot. I see people there with their children. This is as peaceful as a protest gets. Judging by the lack of motivation for political, social, and economical change in Canada by citizens though, this would be considered on the scale of a mass riot in Canadian standards.
    TaraF likes this.
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Exactly what I said "this was not a riot".

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information