User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: "Dear Ann"- Youth unemployment and "the inyerview"

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi All.
    This is my article for my dear ann column this week. The lack of jobs for young adults is a scary thing and I feel bad for them. . it's not fair. Hopefully this will help somebody that is getting interviewed for a job.
    It's a lot more stiffer competition out there. . . so don't take any interview lightly. . .

Dear Ann,
    I am graduating this year and the youth unemployment statistics are scary. How am I going to compete with the more experienced applicants? Do you have any advice that will give me an edge over the competition? Sasha G.

It is true that unemployment is higher amongst youth. Due to recessionary times, many older, much more experienced adults have flooded the market and absorbed jobs that may have gone to new graduates. So how do you compete? Well, the firstplace would be perfecting your resume. I’m not going to get into that since there is already a wealth of info. out there already.
    Let’s talk about “The Interview”. Don’t be tempted to wing it in your interview. Rather, be prepared and polish your answers ahead of time. You will appear far more professional and confident if you do so. Some questions to prepare for might be:

How would you describe yourself? The answer to that question should be adapted to the company and position BUT still be true to your strengths and abilities. Don’t forget to give related examples in these areas of any previous accomplishments!

What are your goals or where do yousee yourself 5 yrs. from now? This can be tricky territory, so do your research about the company. Most companies want motivated individuals that want to learn, excel at their job and move up. This is a good time to re-emphasize your strengths as they relate to the question.

Why should we hire You for this job? (or similarly worded) I cannot emphasize enough, the necessity of doing your research on the company. In fact, many companies throw this question at you just to see if you did in fact do any research. They will be looking for people with similar goals and motivations as their own. If the position is managerial, you might want to focus on your leadership abilities(i.e. self-starter, result-driven). Since you may be competing with more experienced applicants, you might point out (if applicable) how you have no pre-conceived viewpoints on how things should be done, but are eager, open and ready to jump in and learn. Don’t be afraid to point out the benefits that a young, fresh approach could bring to the job. Employers love enthusiasm.

What makes you an asset to your team? Regardless of whether you’re a direct member of a team or leading a team, employers want to know that you have what it takes to work with others. Maybe you’re a positive person, energetic, creative, a great organizer, a self starter, or whatever the case, employers want positive qualities that drive the team forward.

Now that you have these answers prepared, don’t waste the job opportunity or your time by not practicing!Recruit a friend, parent or even your dog if you have no one else. Practice out loud until you sound like you can take on the world . . . and win! Ann Cooke
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by MortgageQueen; Sat, May 12th, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
    Natalka, DaveP and Darth Penguin like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Good advice. It is very scary for youth right now, even pt/ft retail stores are hesitant to hire recent grads as they may see them as temporary and only there until something better comes along...

I'm more or less under employed, and having a hard time here in Ottawa, most likely going to leave town to find greener pastures (looking at Teaching English abroad).
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Have you ever done a similar thing for women wishing to return to the workforce after being a SAHM?

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

MQ - very well done!

My son is currently going through this; he's 20, almost done his program at technical college, is applying for apprenticeships, and has had several interviews. He's excited that a place for which he'd really like to work has called him back for a second interview.

I went through his resume with him (I used to do that in a former life), so that was important to tailor it properly.
    Also, the covering letter is very important, because it's that - along with the resume - which is the first impression a prospective employer is given.

When my son has gone for these interviews this time, he felt he was REALLY ready because he knew what he felt he had done 'wrong' at a few interviews last year - then, he just had a feeling he wasn't expressing himself clearly enough, so we had gone through some practice of questions (it feels silly at first, but it's a good exercise to do).
    MortgageQueen and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Thanks for the article.
    My response would be, go where the jobs are.
    So, "Go west, young man/woman".

This is the end of Nurse's Week.
    Back in the '90s there were no jobs for new graduates coming out of school.
    So these new nurses went to Texas, Florida and California.
    Most came back to Ontario but you do what you need to do to get where you need to go.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Networking and making connections is still the way to get a job.
    LinkedIn is a good tool.
    My friends have used it when absolutely no job existed.
    The employer didn't want to post a job and wade through hundreds of resumes.
    LinkedIn worked well.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sat, May 12th, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
    Darth Penguin likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

My major problems with LinkedIn are

1) 12 years out of the workplace
    2) coming from another country so most of my freinds have no clout on Canadian empolyers.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    My major problems with LinkedIn are

1) 12 years out of the workplace
    2) coming from another country so most of my freinds have no clout on Canadian empolyers.
    Just curious, have you done the LinkedIn tutorials? They have some good tips.

One friend was changing industries and provinces entirely.
    When she applied for a job, she got a rejection letter.
    The HR person signed their name.
    She checked them on LinkedIn and connected to the company's group page that way.
    She posted some good items on the company's group page.
    She got another interview 9 months later and this time, had a "history" with the company.
    It helped.
    She got the job.
    MortgageQueen likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

My son (19) just finished up his first year of university and landed a summer/permanent part-time job this week at a fabulous sporting goods/outdoors store. One thing he did that worked very well was to research the company, it's history, values system and products before he arrived at the interview. The first question they asked was 'what do you know about us' and he could confidently show that he had taken the time to really understand who he would be working for.
    Natalka, MortgageQueen and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Just curious, have you done the LinkedIn tutorials? They have some good tips.

One friend was changing industries and provinces entirely.
    snipped..

I haven't and I will.

However when I was looking a few years ago, my qualifications weren't recognised in Canada as I only have the equilavent of a HS diploma. all my training was work based. Of course, could just be Qc being a pain ...

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree with ShwaGirl about LinkedIn. I've got some of my best contacts there.

What you need to do is join he groups in the area that you're interested in. . .and post questions, ideas, thoughts. Their an excellent networking resource.

. . .and regarding your question about SAHM's entering the workplace DP, I have not done an article on that but it's a good idea.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just a couple of side notes. . . Areas of employment that are heating up are the financial industry. Very few young people seem to be entering it and within 10 yrs. there will be a shortage.
    Another area (sadly) is working with children with developmental issues (i.e. autism) There is an epidemic of them and few workers. . .

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    Another area (sadly) is working with children with developmental issues (i.e. autism) There is an epidemic of them and few workers. . .
    This, of course, is not an area of employment to be entered into lighty or just for the sake of employment. You need incredible patience and empathy. It's more a calling than a job.
    Last edited by DaveP; Sun, May 13th, 2012 at 02:49 AM.
    Bargain Seeker and Natalka like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    Just a couple of side notes. . . Areas of employment that are heating up are the financial industry. Very few young people seem to be entering it and within 10 yrs. there will be a shortage.
    Two other big hiring announcements

During Nurse's Week, the Ontario government announced that there will be 900 nurses hired so that hospital beds will be made available. The nurses will be tasked with getting people back to home for care, admitted to long term care or placed in nursing homes.

Last month, the Ontario government announced that 144 nurses will be hired to work in schools, for children with addictions and mental health issues.

Alberta is looking at bringing back school nurses to deal with bullying, administering medications (e.g. Epi pens -- some teachers are uncomfortable with this task), and dealing with issues related to mental health issues

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Thanks for the LinkinIn tips, I wasn't sure how to go about it!
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information