User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: So hard to find a family doctor or a Nurse Practitioner :(

  1. #16
    Smart Canuck matrix82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    4,558
    Likes Received
    828
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    The community health clinic in Fredericton can do Paps.
    http://www.frederictoninfo.ca/record/HDC2130
    Thank you, I didn't know about this clinic . That solves one problem.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

  2. #17
    Smart Canuck glowworm2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vanier, ON
    Posts
    2,722
    Likes Received
    2518
    Trading Score
    33 (100%)




    When I was younger, my next door neighbour drove from Eastern Ontario to Toronto for her gynecologist... she had moved down from Mississauga 15 years before and still kept the doc as she had an ongoing condition and didn't want to have to start over with someone new.

    I have a doctor because of being a university student. Basically, the university's clinic has to take you on if you're a student. You can also go if you live in the neighbourhood or are an alumnus. The nice thing there is that when a doctor leaves, they will bring in a replacement who will take over the caseload. This provides me with some security, but as the doctor works out of a clinic, she and the clinic team are often far less than punctual, and appointments need to be made weeks in advance (or wait hours upon hours at the walk-in part of the clinic). Not ideal, but better than nothing, I guess. :/

  3. #18
    Canadian Genius donnaG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,656
    Likes Received
    5740
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)




    My Family physician, gynae and eye doc. all have retired , just this morning I was wondering how I should go about trying to find a Gynae. , funny how this thread is in the shopping for deals section
    http://www.clixsense.com/?4532002
    CLIXSENSE : made $850 in just one year

    swagbucks.com/refer/donnaGontario
    SWAGBUCKS : earned $1450 so far

  4. #19
    CaLoonie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    125
    Likes Received
    10
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)



    Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    most doctors require the test done every two years to get the Pill
    They're not actually allowed to do this!

    I was told by a drop-in doctor that he was making a note on my records saying that I couldn't have any more contraception until I had a PAP. When I mentioned this to the family doctor who performed my PAP she told me he was in no way allowed to do that - and was pretty angry he'd lied to me about this!

  5. #20
    Smart Canuck matrix82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    4,558
    Likes Received
    828
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)




    I didn't know that. I know that in Nova Scotia and in New Brunswick it's been a requirement or they won't write the prescription refill if it's been more than 2 years.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

  6. #21
    Mastermind Shwa Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,868
    Likes Received
    37903
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    Thank you, I didn't know about this clinic . That solves one problem.
    Glad I could help. If you get into the clinic, I saw that it is run through the university. Here's a way to network to find out if the clinic or the university staff linked with the clinic can help with finding a doctor.

  7. #22
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    north york, ontario
    Posts
    1,453
    Likes Received
    552
    Trading Score
    254 (100%)



    did you go directly to any doctors office and talk to them, receptionist? when i was looking for a specialist, the doctor that i liked to go had a 1 year waiting list, so i went over to the clinic and told them that i really really need to see a doctor and told about my condition and guess what, the receptionist called next day and they booked an appointment for next week. when i moved to another city this is how i got a family physician too , ususally when we call over phone, they always says the clinic is full, hope it helps , good luck
    matrix82 and donnaG like this.



    my trade list and wishlist, check it out, tons of tearpads
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/365260-...ensure-canada/

  8. #23
    Smart Canuck matrix82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    4,558
    Likes Received
    828
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by elizabethjohn2005 View Post
    did you go directly to any doctors office and talk to them, receptionist? when i was looking for a specialist, the doctor that i liked to go had a 1 year waiting list, so i went over to the clinic and told them that i really really need to see a doctor and told about my condition and guess what, the receptionist called next day and they booked an appointment for next week. when i moved to another city this is how i got a family physician too , ususally when we call over phone, they always says the clinic is full, hope it helps , good luck
    Thank you for the advice, I will try that as well.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

  9. #24
    Merician Loving Nuck! kparker1786's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    141
    Likes Received
    112
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    My husband and Dad are about to have similar issues. DH is from America so he will need a doc once he gets his health card. When I talked to my doc about it, he said that it depends on when that would be. Right now out of the 16 doctors in that office, they have 25,000 patients!!! I couldn't believe it! He was saying it's mostly because some doctors want money more than helping people, which is not right at all! My doctor is South African, and he said that Canada is really the best place to work, if you're not in it for the money. Sad

    That being said, there's a site he told me to check out, each province has one, I had to search for it but thought I'd share in case you haven't seen it yet:
    Ontario - http://www.cpso.on.ca/docsearch/default.aspx?id=2048
    Nova Scotia -http://cpsnsphysiciansearch.com/
    Alberta - http://www.cpsa.ab.ca/Homepage.aspx
    BC - https://www.cpsbc.ca/node/263
    Sask - (No search for Doctors) http://www.quadrant.net/cpss/
    Quebec - http://bottin.cmq.org/index.aspx?lang=fr
    PEI - http://cpspei.ca/public-info/physician-search-2/
    NFLD - http://www.cpsnl.ca/default.asp?com=DoctorSearch&adv=1
    New Brunswick - http://www.cpsnb.org/webdata/drdbase_form.shtml
    Manitoba - http://cpsm.mb.ca/physician-directory

    I hope that helps!

  10. #25
    Smart Canuck matrix82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    4,558
    Likes Received
    828
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by kparker1786 View Post
    My husband and Dad are about to have similar issues. DH is from America so he will need a doc once he gets his health card. When I talked to my doc about it, he said that it depends on when that would be. Right now out of the 16 doctors in that office, they have 25,000 patients!!! I couldn't believe it! He was saying it's mostly because some doctors want money more than helping people, which is not right at all! My doctor is South African, and he said that Canada is really the best place to work, if you're not in it for the money. Sad

    That being said, there's a site he told me to check out, each province has one, I had to search for it but thought I'd share in case you haven't seen it yet:
    Ontario - http://www.cpso.on.ca/docsearch/default.aspx?id=2048
    Nova Scotia -http://cpsnsphysiciansearch.com/
    Alberta - http://www.cpsa.ab.ca/Homepage.aspx
    BC - https://www.cpsbc.ca/node/263
    Sask - (No search for Doctors) http://www.quadrant.net/cpss/
    Quebec - http://bottin.cmq.org/index.aspx?lang=fr
    PEI - http://cpspei.ca/public-info/physician-search-2/
    NFLD - http://www.cpsnl.ca/default.asp?com=DoctorSearch&adv=1
    New Brunswick - http://www.cpsnb.org/webdata/drdbase_form.shtml
    Manitoba - http://cpsm.mb.ca/physician-directory

    I hope that helps!
    Already been trying that list, most are not accepting new patients.

    Still have not gotten a call back from the waiting list answering service to register for the waiting list
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

  11. #26
    Super Saver JennyFromTheRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    2,431
    Likes Received
    3419
    Trading Score
    195 (100%)



    i found it hard to find a doctor in several provinces I lived in, but here in Strathmore I had no trouble at all!! When I got pregnant with baby 2, I had just moved here, the first Doctors office I called took me in right away. That doctor had moved by the time I had baby 3, so I called another office and they took me in right away. Im pretty pleased with it!! Same for dentists... in NL there was a 6 month wait to get in to the dentist, even if you were a patient of his!!! A few weeks ago I decided to get some cosmetic dentistry and I called the dentist office and got in the same day!!! Really pleased!!
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    http://www.momoftheyear.ca/mom/?mom_id=23512
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

  12. #27
    Smart Canuck matrix82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    4,558
    Likes Received
    828
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)




    Tried another three offices today...none accepting or have a waiting list.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

  13. #28
    Merician Loving Nuck! kparker1786's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    141
    Likes Received
    112
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    I wish I could be of more help I can understand not having a family doctor, my mom and I were in limbo for a while when our doctor died. We pretty much always went to the hospital when an issue came up, which wasn't so great for the hospital but when you need something checked, where else do you go? I hope you find a doctor soon!!! *hugs*
    matrix82 likes this.

  14. #29
    Junior Canuck Aimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    573
    Likes Received
    508
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Talk about a well-timed article. The Star came out with a piece today that discusses how doctors are "cherry picking" their patients - the reality that this portrays is frightening. What's even more scary is that the comments indicate that so many people have experienced this. Clearly, this is a norm, not an exception.

    http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/p...tients#article
    matrix82 and donnaG like this.

    [*A I M Z*]

  15. #30
    Smart Canuck matrix82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    4,558
    Likes Received
    828
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)




    Thanks for the article. My mom is a nurse, and she actually said to me, you are relatively healthy, young, so I would think you would get a doctor faster than someone who was in ill health and older.

    I know I have had to go for an "interview" with a doctor when I lived in ontario before she would decide on whether or not to take me on. It was so strange.
    donnaG likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •